Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renault Scenic - Bodywork - Leaking

has anyone any ideas on a leaking sunroof on a 51 reg scenic, ive cleaned and inspected the pipes from the sunroof and r all ok i removed the head linnig and can see water down the left hand side of the sunroof but have no idea where it is coming from,when driving the water is dropping down the drivers windscreen pillar but drys up when stood!! any ideas would be much appreciated

·
Registered
60 Posts
Could be a break in the sunroofs drain tube?

When you say you have inspected and cleaned the pipes have you taken off the wheel arch liner? it may still be partially blocked and backing up (you could try an air line down the drain hole)

Sorry if that is no help but a friend has the same problem and that will be our next course of action

S

·
0 Posts
Yep - unless you can pour water down the drain holes and see it emerge near the front wheels, there is no guarantee that it's definately unblocked...

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
There have also been reports of leakis around the base of the aerial. It appears as tho the sun roof is leaking. MAy be worth removing aerial base and having a look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive poored water down the drain pipes and it appears at the back of the front wheel o k so i,ll inspect the drain pipes more closley at the weekend - also ive resealed the areal so i know thats ok

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have a similar problem,water leaking from the sunroof switches,and also a soggy footwell.have looked for the drainpipes but where are thay located????.all icould find were 4" ones running down the side of the house!!!!!!!!!:d :d :d

·
Registered
1 Posts
blakemere said:
i have a similar problem,water leaking from the sunroof switches,and also a soggy footwell.have looked for the drainpipes but where are thay located????.all icould find were 4" ones running down the side of the house!!!!!!!!!:d :d :d

Did you manage to resolve this issue?

I have exactly the same problem with my 51 reg Scenic 1.9 Diesel and before I shell out £450 to my local dealer to "diagnose the issue" :( I would be interested in your feedback.

Many thanks,

Richy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
no still got water coming though lights in centre consol-ive chencked the drain pipes which are clear and water runs down them ok also resealed the airel to the car with silcone but still water - if the car dosnt move its ok - but when you brake or round a bend water drips from the lights so must be holding somewhere

did u find the drain pipes .if u open the sunroof and look at the front they are the two little holes in either front corner

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Put "Pond" in the search box and have a look at the thread, it might be of some help. When the water runs out of the drain holes under the front wings it should be a lot not just a dribble!

On my Laguna I removed the one way valves on the bottom of the sunroof drain tubes under the front wings as they were restricting the water flow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive just been out to the car poored down boiling water to find it coming out of the bottom (so i presumed they were clear - silly me!!!!) so just out of noseyness i took off the wheel arch cover to just to find about 4 inches of mud stuck all around the pipe and blocking the one way valve and restricting the flow. so hopefully this will stop the leaks through the sunroof switches.

any one with this problem take off the wheel arch covers and dont presume there clear like i did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if this solves it i'll let you all know!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
still got leaking sun roof

:( :( cleaned pipes to front sunroof after seeing mud all around them thought that would solve it but today has rained all day as soon as my missess set off the car centre lights leaked very heavy and both front pillars are soddend!!! any one any ideas -

does any one know where the rear pipes come out from the rear sunroof if these were blocked could this cause it or would water leak at the back of the car not the front??

while the car is stationary its ok but as soon as u drive round a bend or hit the brakes u get soddend!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
rogerb

My 1998 Renault Scenic (13.5k miles on the clock) leaks like a seive in wet weather into the box behind the drivers seat; in desperation I sealed both sun:mad: roof's with tape and still the b......y thing leaked;my Scenic has the roof rack fitted could this cause a problem (when I pulled the box liner out it stank like a very wet pongy dog)

On my Scenic along the roof line there are pressable panels about 3inches long and an inch wide.....what are they for and would they leak?

Help !!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
They push in and slide out of the way to give access to the roof rack clamping channels. All part of the roof metal so they will leak - but only ontop of roof, not in. (slide one aside and you'll see what I mean, they go fore and aft).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rogerb said:
My 1998 Renault Scenic (13.5k miles on the clock) leaks like a seive in wet weather into the box behind the drivers seat; in desperation I sealed both sun:mad: roof's with tape and still the b......y thing leaked;my Scenic has the roof rack fitted could this cause a problem (when I pulled the box liner out it stank like a very wet pongy dog)

On my Scenic along the roof line there are pressable panels about 3inches long and an inch wide.....what are they for and would they leak?

Help !!!!!!!!
I had the same problem on my '98 Scenic years ago when it was still under Renault warranty. They fixed it and it has not leaked since - they said they had to remove the sunroofs and change the rubber seals. (but maybe that was just a story - having since read on this forum that drainage pipes can become blocked?)
By the way, mine does not have the roof bar panels.

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Many thanks for your input Dave ;I think a trip under the car is in order !!

Can anybody tell me whether there are drain holes under the rear sun roof on my Scenic RXE....I have an overwhelming urge to bung yards of copper wire down the front sun roof drain tubes BUT does the rear sun roof have drain tubes so I can do the same to ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Many thanks for your advice on un blocking the drain pipes; I poured water down them after clearing the crud out from behind the wheel arch (and removing the pipe caps ) and, hey presto, the problem has been solved .....hopefully !!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts