Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timing belt has gone on my 1.4 16v scenic, worried about how much damage may have been done and what the cost of repair is gonna be.....
Has this happened to you? any feed back on this would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi There.Some of the valves if not all are probably bent.As an ex renault technician i have repaired loads of these and have not yet come across one which hasn't done engine damage.You'll need to have the cylinder head removed to see the extent of the damage.If the job was done at a main dealer you'd be looking at a lot of money.Independant garages would be the cheaper option.Where abouts are you located?:)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Just something you may wish to consider - as well as obtaining quotes for the repair to your engine, you might want to get a few quotes for a reconditioned engine or one from salvage - the labour cost will almost certainly be less (as it should just be a swap over), plus you should also get a warranty of some description (plus the value of your own engine - if exchanged).

I'm not advocating one route over another (only you will know how many miles and in how good fettle) your own engine was prior to the cambelt snapping.

All the best.

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts