Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me. The 'Toxic fume monitoring warning light' has come on and stayed on.The car is very chuggy and seems to be mis firing from the exhaust. I have checked the coils by taking the lead to them off and seeing if the engine runs any different. I also have a set of brand new coils which i have fitted but this has made no difference. Can anyone give me any advice on what the other problems might be??? Somebody said spark plugs but i dont want to change them if there not needed.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It certaintly sounds like coil problems and the warning light is the ECU detecting that the emissions are out of limits....

Are you sure that the coils you have are OK?.Try changing one coil at a time and see if that makes it any better.It might very well be a good idea to change the plugs at the same time,too.

Avoid driving the car if at all possible as the unburnt fuel will quickly damage the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers lagdti for the advice i will try changing the coils one by one tomorrow. When taking the leads off the coils though shouldnt i hear and feel a vast difference in the running of the engine if the coil is working. If it isnt working and i take the lead off it should be no change. The thing is that i have done this and there was no real change in running when taking any of the leads off which led me to believe it was something else. What do you reckon ??? I will get back to you tomorrow when changed coils individually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I keep getting this problem on my scenic fidji, the garage has just given an emission report which it passed. But this light is still on, they do suspect a problem with the catalytic convertor though, no proof though as it didn't show a problem on their scanning system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive a scenic 1.6 2005 Maxim. For the last 3 months Ive had this problem with the emissions warning light being on, and also stalling , at first I thought it was the clutch, but they think it is all coming from the same fault,. it has been in for repairs 5 times and they still can't fix it. This time it has been in the Renault garage a week tomorrow, and still no sign of me getting it back. They said they are bringing some engineer over from France, to solve the problem. I'm not a happy bunny:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could be a recurring problem, mine is an automatic though 2003 fidji 1.6. It did have a problem with cutting out (not exactly stalling) that was I think the fuel injector rods (if that is the correct name). One went down put too much load on the others then they failed!

Going in this Wed (20/6) for probable replacement of catalytic convertor hopefully that should fix it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this exact same problem. Did you manage to find a solution?

Can anyone help me. The 'Toxic fume monitoring warning light' has come on and stayed on.The car is very chuggy and seems to be mis firing from the exhaust. I have checked the coils by taking the lead to them off and seeing if the engine runs any different. I also have a set of brand new coils which i have fitted but this has made no difference. Can anyone give me any advice on what the other problems might be??? Somebody said spark plugs but i dont want to change them if there not needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts