Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi
i have an intermittent problem with my scenic
sometimes it will start right away sometimes not
but engine spins.:(
think may be Top Dead Centre sensor but one post mentioned if
rev counter moves should not be Top Dead Centre sensor.
also if it is the Top Dead Centre sensor renault have modified my models
sensor and you also have to by a short wireing loom.
is this correct why should we have to pay for ther mods not fitting orginal wireing.
any help would be greatfully appreciated.
2002 scenic 1.6 16v 30000 miles
ps
also have two grey top coils and two black top coils
whats the difference between them
atvb paul:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers
still will have a go cleaning it do i use wd40 or were i work
has eletrical cleaning solution for pcb's and the like.
also think renault are taking the **** asking you to pay for loom as there replacement does not fit orginal.:mad:
will keep you posted on how it goes.
also are these a bit hard on juice mine seems only to get about 30 to the gallon
atvb paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem with my '02 Scenic, except that when you try and start the car there is nothing. To get the car to start I have to roll the car while it's in gear and then it generally starts. I spoke to Renault and they reckoned I could have a dead spot on the starter motor or it could be the tdc sensor. Did you resolve your issue and if you did where can I find the tdc sensor in the engine bay to clean it ?

Jezza

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
reply to starting problems

sorry for length of time have been away
just cleaned the tdc sensor as chris said.
quite easy to get at look at top of clutch housing two
bolts hold it in place looks like a piece of squarish plastic.
seems to have resolved my problems
atvb paul

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Does it still seem OK,WPMAX?.:)

Jezza,if your engine isn't turning over when you turn the key to the start position,then it's not a TDC Sensor fault.It's more likely to be a faulty starter motor,a faulty connection to the starter motor or a corroded/loose earth connection between the engine and the body/battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi jv curran. the tdc is located on top of the gear box to the side of engine. have just replaced one on my "s reg" scenic & this did the trick. & i totally agree - renault are tacking the p*** over price. £ 20. for the sensor + another £20 for plug + tax. who sells sensor without the connector plug.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

Not sure whether you got this resolved but I had exactly the same issue and it was the crank shaft sensor. It seemed like the car would start only when it felt like it and there seemed no reason for it. Sensor cost £28 but had to pay autoelectrician £90 to do it....!!! it didn't look too complicated a part to fit so I'm off to get a manual..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
more scenic woes

guess what now the coils or one have packed up i think
engine now stuttering and missfireing like a good one. also
exhaust gas monitor light started to flash. i am going
to replace them hopefully tomorrow hope this cures it as i do not want to spend £80 to have it tested by renault. good car to drive pity they seem so unreliable as mine has only 37000 on the clock.:(

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Hi WPMAX, it does sound like coils. I'm guessing one of the grey topped ones maybe. There was a faulty batch of Sagem coils fitted around 2003 and I think they may have been grey topped, the 2 black ones are probably where they have been replaced before (or vice versa).

Edit: Also you mention earlier about MPG. I'm getting 30mpg around town (London) in the 2.0 and 45+ on the m way dependent on how heavy my foot is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fixed till next tome

hi chris

Changed all the coils to be sure and while i was at it i replaced the spark plugs and air filter also. Total cost to me was £111.54 which is a lot better than paying £80 just to be told the coil/coils needed replaced.
Fitted above items myself the hardest part is replacing the air filter box and putting on the engine cover.
This car had full service history by a renault garage and its last service was sept 2006 air filter looked like orginal as it was full of dirt and leaves etc.
Car now running better than it has ever done (touch wood) so maybe MPG may also increase.:)

cheers paul

ps have kept orginal coils to see if they can be checked in my place of work to see what one may be dead

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Scenic with starting problems but can start it, put in gear, give a quick push, press button and it starts. Renault are fitting a new flywheel as this is the problem. Their answer not mine. See my other postings on this matter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
no life to electrics

Does it still seem OK,WPMAX?.:)

Jezza,if your engine isn't turning over when you turn the key to the start position,then it's not a TDC Sensor fault.It's more likely to be a faulty starter motor,a faulty connection to the starter motor or a corroded/loose earth connection between the engine and the body/battery.
if you get the syptoms of a flat battery on an early scenic check the live battery terminal as they can get lose. it is best to replace with a normal type connector. there is also one in a black box on the bulkhead under the bonnet that has the same problem. you will need a connector with a stud fitting for this one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts