Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2003 1.4 Fidji 2 months ago and in the past week it's failed to start whilst warm. The first time happened last weekend when I stalled it at a junction :rolleyes:, it wouldn't start again and I had to push it back to the kerb.

After leaving it for 10 minutes, it started again no problem.

My wife called me this afternoon at work to say she was stuck at the nursery as the car wouldn't start. Again, she left it 10 minutes or so and it started fine.

Apart from this, it runs fine and starts no problem the majority of the time. The only link at this stage is that it's never done it whilst the engine has been cold.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Definately sounds like a TDC Sensor fault.:)

Any news Mparter?:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to have cured itself for now. Will take it in to get it checked out if it starts happening again.

What I did notice the last few times it did do it was that if you gently pressed the accelerator whilst it was struggling to start, it would fire into life.

A fuel supply issue?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us,and keep us up to date with any further developments.:)

Certaintly sounds like a fuel related problem,have you had the emissions checked recently?.Could also be an ECU Coolant Temperature Sensor.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it appears that us talking about it on here today jinxed me :(

Was at McDonalds and the car wouldn't start tried numerous times and eventually got it to start after about 30 mins. Appears the accelerator pumping was just co-incidence as the wife got it working and she never touches the accelerator. :eek:

Following the instructions on here, I removed the TDC sensor this evening and gave it a good clean. Car started OK after I put it back in so here's hoping it lasts.

Pain in the ¤¤¤¤ to get into with all those hoses :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my 2003 1.4 Fidji 2 months ago and in the past week it's failed to start whilst warm. The first time happened last weekend when I stalled it at a junction :rolleyes:, it wouldn't start again and I had to push it back to the kerb.

After leaving it for 10 minutes, it started again no problem.

My wife called me this afternoon at work to say she was stuck at the nursery as the car wouldn't start. Again, she left it 10 minutes or so and it started fine.

Apart from this, it runs fine and starts no problem the majority of the time. The only link at this stage is that it's never done it whilst the engine has been cold.

Any ideas? Thanks.
I had exactly same prob with my S reg scenic. It was as advised TD SENSOR. I thought I would replace it, then I thought (I AM OF THE OLD SCHOOL) I would give it the JIGGLE TEST. Where the wire goes into the sensor give it a gentle jiggle about so that it make a better electrical contact, then give it a squirt of wd40. It worked wonders for me. Give it a try, it might save you the cost of a new sensor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts