Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking round for a Grand Scenic to replace my Citroen Picasso. I am not sure on the engine to go for, my old Picasso has a 1.6 engine and feels a bit underpowered on motorways or up hills but generally returns good fuel economy of about 35 mpg.

I am wondering whether the additional weight of the GS will make a 1.6 engine seem similarly (or more) underpowered when pulling hard but then looking at the 2.0 the overall economy on this does not look so good. Then again the diesel models are probably better but the premium over the petrols may not make it worthwhile as we only do around 10-12K per year and mostly around town/short journeys.

Anyone got any first hand experience with these models who can provide some advice?

Cheers,
Peter

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
We too had a 1.6 petrol Picasso and found it similar to you.
We changed if for a 2.0hdi which was a big improvement.

Are you looking at brand new or secondhand?
I agree the 1.6 grand scenic will probably be a bit underpowered especially when fully loaded. We borrowed a 1.5dci G Secenic and I was quite impressed with the way it drove, we never loaded it up, but I thought it must have been the 1.9dci because of the way it drove.

A 2.0 petrol will be ok for your needs as will a diesel.
If you want to tow a caravan the torque of the diesel will be much better.

If you are worried about theextra expense of a diesel, try looking for a slightly older model, or even one with a bit higher mileage. As you say 10-12k is a little on the low side to warrant the extra initial expense of the diesel. But bear in mind that even though diesel is 2 or 3 p a litre more expensive the petrol it still works out cheaper, it will be cheaper to tax than a 2.0 petrol and probably cheaper to insure. Also come trade in time you will get more for the diesel than the petrol. Worth taking in the whole picture of ownership costs, not just initial cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
which scenic

I have both the Picasso 2.0 Hdi and New Scenic 2.0 auto
the Picasso is far more economical we would have preferred the Scenic Diesel but the additional cost is so much more.
Unlike the Picasso models where not much difference between
them -

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get the new big Picasso if I were you. Have had the 1.9 diesel GS since o4 and although it drives well and has bags of power the car itself is flawed. The interior is cheap and we have more rattles than you would believe. It runs like a tractor on two cylinders when it feels like it and the dealers say nothing is wrong and then to top it all off fitting stage three high back boosters is also a problem because the only one that sort of fits is the renault kidplus BUT you have to slide the rear seats forward otherwise the seatbelt does not work - I was advised this when I took the car and seats up to Britax for an independant opinion.

Stick Picasso.......

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Oh yeah - I'd forgotten about the new C4 Picasso. Looks very nice, lots of nice features. Seems quite expensive though.
May be worth a look, although I would wait a while because it won't be that long before Citroen start doping their rediculously large cashback deals!

·
Registered
23 Posts
scenic which model

Well I was going to say that Pauldv the new Picassos are the
mutts n-ts but being on a renault forum didnt want mention it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, just recently had this dilema. I travel between 11500 and 13000 miles per year. I had a 1.6 Vauxhall Zafira, and couldn't make up my mind whether to go for another 1.6 or a diesel.

I worked out that over a 4 year period ( this is usual time I keep a car) I should at least break even and maybe be a little better off, particulary if my anual mileage continues to rise a bit. I took into account, purchase price, likely resale, VEL and fuel costs (diesel more expensive than unleaded)etc. Its definately worth doing the sums in each case. Mines was based on buying used and was vehicle/model specific to cars I was intersted in.

I ended up buying the Grand Scenic 1.9 diesel and I have to say, I really enjoy the better power. The 1.6 was fine but when loaded etc it could at times feel a little sluggish.

I eased the initial pain by buying a year older than I originally set out for ( just have to keep telling myself to ignore the numbers on the plate )and I have a years less warranty. What have I done, a Renault with only 8 months warranty left.!!!!!

J

·
0 Posts
Hi,

I am looking round for a Grand Scenic to replace my Citroen Picasso. I am not sure on the engine to go for, my old Picasso has a 1.6 engine and feels a bit underpowered on motorways or up hills but generally returns good fuel economy of about 35 mpg.

I am wondering whether the additional weight of the GS will make a 1.6 engine seem similarly (or more) underpowered when pulling hard but then looking at the 2.0 the overall economy on this does not look so good. Then again the diesel models are probably better but the premium over the petrols may not make it worthwhile as we only do around 10-12K per year and mostly around town/short journeys.

Anyone got any first hand experience with these models who can provide some advice?

Cheers,
Peter
I'd buy the 1.9dci.........

My wife has the scenic avg 45-50mpg......

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well I was going to say that Pauldv the new Picassos are the
mutts n-ts but being on a renault forum didnt want mention it.
Having test drove the new C4 Picasso today i'll happily say it, The new C4 Picasso is fantastic and a far better car than a scenic.

It's worth your while taking the time to read through this forum and see how many problems and reliability issues there are with Scenics, before buying one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I would go for the 1.9 dci or wait for the new 2 litre - it has got xlnt reviews - even better than the 1.9 which is a great torquey engine and when just me driving without the precious cargo is quite a rewarding drive!!

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Having test drove the new C4 Picasso today i'll happily say it, The new C4 Picasso is fantastic and a far better car than a scenic.

It's worth your while taking the time to read through this forum and see how many problems and reliability issues there are with Scenics, before buying one.
Look on the Picasso forum as well - the Picasso isn't without its problems. What modern car isn't.
Ours never let us down but was forever in and out of the garage with minor niggles.
There are also too many Scenics on the road for them all to be troublesome, as with everything you do get the odd rogue one that is perfectly reliable and never lets you down.:d

The C4 Picasso is also brand new - the first few owners will be the guinea pigs and find out all its little niggles and problems.
Personally I would wait a few months before buying a brand new model from any manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I must say I drove the new picasso and was not impressed, Lots of nice touches but felt the drive did not live up to the hype and when I was there a couple came back from a test drive and the car had broken down and it would not start mmmm .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
53 Posts
Look on the Picasso forum as well - the Picasso isn't without its problems. What modern car isn't.
Ours never let us down but was forever in and out of the garage with minor niggles.
There are also too many Scenics on the road for them all to be troublesome, as with everything you do get the odd rogue one that is perfectly reliable and never lets you down.:d

The C4 Picasso is also brand new - the first few owners will be the guinea pigs and find out all its little niggles and problems.
Personally I would wait a few months before buying a brand new model from any manufacturer.
Perfectly agreed, The scenic has plenty things going for it, comfort and driving position especially. As for the Citroen, i totally agree - brand new model = teething troubles, probably lots! Unfortunatley i don't have the luxury of waiting too long and need to change asap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your replies, I too thought long and hard about a new C4 Picasso before plumping for a GS. There are some good 0% interest offers on the picasso however the thought of loosing about 9K in depreciation put me off.

Anyway to finish the story I have found a 1.5 dci scenic which seems to strike the balance between economy and performance reasonably well. Picking it up on Friday - cant wait :)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Renault are also doing 0% finance at the moment.

The 1.5Dci is not a bad little motor tho it struggles a bit when fully laden.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got an 04 (54) 1.9 GS, but just had a loan of an 06 1.5 (106bhp) Megane estate for a few days. To be honest I thought the 1.5 was a superb engine. I couldn't believe how well it pulled. It felt nippier than my Scenic, although the GS is a bigger car. It was also showing an average consumption of 47mpg. When I commented on it to a sales rep, he said he had stopped telling folk before a test drive it was a 1.5 and he just called it the DCI 106 as many were put off before they even tried it by the engine size, insisting they would need a bigger diesel. Most like myself, came back very impressed. Probably well laden it may lack power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
During the test drive it seemed fine and not as noisy as the 2 litre petrol. Did not seem to have the mid revs lag that I get in my 1.6 Picasso either which was nice. I was pretty impressed by the diesel so much that I hated the drive I had in the 2 litre immediately afterwards.

TBH I would have preferred a 1.9 diesel but I was given a very good deal on a 11 month old model which I snapped up, wouldn't have been able to afford such a new model for a 1.9

Cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Renault are also doing 0% finance at the moment.

The 1.5Dci is not a bad little motor tho it struggles a bit when fully laden.

Regards

Ottoman
I knew Renault did this too, but when a car looses 40-50% of its value in 3 years from new it puts me off buying a brand new one (I must be a bit of a tightwad:crazy: )

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I knew Renault did this too, but when a car looses 40-50% of its value in 3 years from new it puts me off buying a brand new one (I must be a bit of a tightwad:crazy: )
No - you're right to buy a car about 9 or 10 mths old - it will have done most of its depreciation already.
We bought our Laguna when it was 10mths old - a whopping £9k cheaper than had we bought it brand new. It was like new anyway, and nicely run in with about 12k on the clock.

We only bought our Megane cc brand new because we got such a good deal on it, 10mth old(ish) cc's were pretty scarce (in dci Priv spec anyway) and not that much cheaper than brand new. We paid £1k less for ours brand new ( Phase II,facelifted version) in August last year than the dealer has on his forecourt now( which is slightly older,non facelifted) model) for a secondhand one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts