Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,new to the forum so please go easy.....Need a little advise,am currently in the process of buying a 1986 T1000 Camper and on the test drive drove really well for an old one,had a good look under the front and no leaks or even mess around the sump however popped the filler cap off and it was a little milky round the neck and on the cap,checked the dip stick and nice and clear also the coolant expansion tank was clear with no froth and bubbles,does it sound just like condensation rather than nasties:confused:? Are they prone to Head Gasket,Its a 1647cc petrol:confused:?
MOT is fresh with all exhaust gases passed however with a head gasket gone or going would this not fail? No heavy smoking from the engine either and I am lead to believe that the van has not been used much in the last 6 months and when it has only short local journeys .
Also the TEMP and Fuel gauges are a little tempermental,flickering up and down and not giving accurate readings,easy fix or common fault?
Any advise would be a great help as this is my 1st renault...Cheers

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

The 'mayonaise' on the cap could be caused by a lot of short journeys (which in your case seems the likely culprit),a faulty thermostat or even a partially blocked breather system,it's not an automatic sign that the gasket is gone.The exhaust gas test for the MOT on your van is pretty basic too due to it's age and for it to fail it would have to be a long way out from where it should be.

Personally I would change the oil and filter (in your case I would use an oil flush),check all the breather hoses are clear and then try it again.

Not so sure on the temp and fuel gauges having a mind of their own though.It might just be a poor connection behind the dash,this is where I'd start to look and go from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.