Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when turning the ignition on, the dashboard lights up corectly, then turning key to start, the red plug heater light seldoms comes on and engine fails to start, when the light does come on, the engine fires straight away. the local garage seemed unable to fix.
Battery fully charged.
Any help please

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
when turning the ignition on, the dashboard lights up corectly, then turning key to start, the red plug heater light seldoms comes on and engine fails to start, when the light does come on, the engine fires straight away. the local garage seemed unable to fix.
Battery fully charged.
Any help please
ok , if i have read this right , it seems to me there is a intermitant elecrital fault to do with the glow plugs.
broken cable ?
earth fault ?
not sure if there is a relay that could be breaking down

sorry cant be more help good luck

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
The glow plug control module on your trafic has 7 terminals marked 1-2-3-6-7-8-9. No 3 terminal 12v's
at key on. your glow plugs voltage is supplied via
control module terminals 1-2-6-7. Terminals 8 & 9
on control module goes to ecu pin no's bc3 & bb3
at these ecu pin no's you must have a 12v feed at
key on. Terminal 3 has a permanent 12v feed key on or off. Hth Regards Mickeybo

·
Registered
2 Posts
The glow plug control module on your trafic has 7 terminals marked 1-2-3-6-7-8-9. No 3 terminal 12v's
at key on. your glow plugs voltage is supplied via
control module terminals 1-2-6-7. Terminals 8 & 9
on control module goes to ecu pin no's bc3 & bb3
at these ecu pin no's you must have a 12v feed at
key on. Terminal 3 has a permanent 12v feed key on or off. Hth Regards Mickeybo
Mickybo,
I know its nearly 2 years since this thread, but if you are still around this is my question.

I have a 02 renault trafic. It has been slow to start with a long time but I was used to it. It starts and stops several times before it stays running. Recently the engine management light started flashing red along with the red stop sign which stays on constantly.
Because it had been hard to start I decided to look at the glow plugs. I had suspicions that some may not be working. I took off their leads and touched a live wire off the exposed tip of the plug, one by one. I expected to see a spark when I touched the tips of the plugs but nothing happened. I then used an electrical tester and found that they were open circuit, although some had a small resistance but not much.
I assume that they are all knackered. Would they be the cause of my management light to be flashing red and the stop sign staying on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts