Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
I have a traffic van which it has had a new engine after the old one was loosing the water via the sump after various attempts of curing the faults Renault decided to change the engine but day one the header tank was empty and also empty after taking the top off and then refilled the tanks
day two after doing about 70 miles checked the water and the tank is empty again ???

yesterday at the dealer the fitter said the water goes when hot but when cool and taking the top off the water will come back up

any advice will be great
thanks

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,476 Posts
Okay, I am confused as LVR but with information on the actual engine etc, can start to make some guesses.
Coolant loss from the sump I would assume was some sort of gasket leak that let coolant into the oilways.
Head gasket is the old favourite but some Renault engines have a thermostat housing that conjoins oil and water.

Fully in agreement on the nonsense bit, it is.

What should happen in your cooling system is that as the engine gets hot, fluid expands and the level in the header (expansion tank ...which is a clue to function) gets higher.
As the engine cools, the coolant contracts and the level gets lower.

If the coolant in the header tank disappears it is usually because there is a leak in the system.
It is not because of any notional weird and wonderful behaviour of what is a simple exercise in basic physics.

My guess is that there still is a leak, could be the same one as before despite the new engine.
Could be same leak in the new engine or may be somewhere completely different, could even be a hose not fully tightened.
But it is not normal !!!

Before you drive it anywhere, not only make sure coolant is topped up.
Check for any obvious leaks, it may only be a loose hose clip.
Check your oil... if level has increased, any sign of water or mayonnaise this is coolant in the sump and oil will be breaking down... don't drive it anywhere but to the garage in that case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay, I am confused as LVR but with information on the actual engine etc, can start to make some guesses.
Coolant loss from the sump I would assume was some sort of gasket leak that let coolant into the oilways.
Head gasket is the old favourite but some Renault engines have a thermostat housing that conjoins oil and water.

Fully in agreement on the nonsense bit, it is.

What should happen in your cooling system is that as the engine gets hot, fluid expands and the level in the header (expansion tank ...which is a clue to function) gets higher.
As the engine cools, the coolant contracts and the level gets lower.

If the coolant in the header tank disappears it is usually because there is a leak in the system.
It is not because of any notional weird and wonderful behaviour of what is a simple exercise in basic physics.

My guess is that there still is a leak, could be the same one as before despite the new engine.
Could be same leak in the new engine or may be somewhere completely different, could even be a hose not fully tightened.
But it is not normal !!!

Before you drive it anywhere, not only make sure coolant is topped up.
Check for any obvious leaks, it may only be a loose hose clip.
Check your oil... if level has increased, any sign of water or mayonnaise this is coolant in the sump and oil will be breaking down... don't drive it anywhere but to the garage in that case.
after a few fills the water has kept the same it looks like it was just a fill but no bleeding the other thing ive noticed since the new engine is on hi revs while changing gears more noticeable between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd to 4th it just dies and then picks up
I phoned the garage they said most prob because new engine but I stated when bought new it wasn't like this at all

and the heater isn't very warm and after 2 hours of driving in which I would have thought it should be very hot I have bled the system as good as I thought but still no different
thanks

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
A heater that isn't warm is often an indication of the following:
1) Air trapped inside the cooling circuit (requires additional bleeding).
2) Coolant leak (if coolant can escape, air can enter).
3) Heater Core is full of gunk (reducing thermal conductivity and restricting coolant flow).

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,476 Posts
What he said.
I'd also add suspect thermostat ?
Rough check is start the engine from cold, top hose to radiator should not get warm/hot until thermostat opens by which time, engine should be hot. Pipes to heater as well. If it all seems to warm up together, thermostat stuck open.
Can also check even without a temperature gauge.
Plug in a cheap ELM27 obd2 Bluetooth or wireless dongle and connect to it with an Android phone running Torque App.
Can check things like coolant temp in real time

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Just to add, if the stat is stuck open, OP "might" have to replace the whole housing, as they can be integrated together as a unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts