Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Traffic warped disc brakes @6000 miles

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Dancingdad 
#1 ·
So I’m about to speak to renault customer services about my awful brakes, brand new van, 6000 miles on the clock and I have a lot of shuddering coming through the steering wheel. The brakes must be warped, it started at around 5000 miles and I figured maybe they would bed in again but no they are worse.

I called my nearest Renault dealer (Arnold Clark) and asked if the braking system was covered for anything being only 9 months old and 6000 miles use, the garage told me no and that although I’m assuming it’s the discs that are warped they would happily have a look at the van to determine what the problem is. They said if it’s not covered under warranty they would have to charge me £90 for the inspection, I told them not a chance and asked for a number to speak to Renault UK instead as that’s not good enough.

to ask your opinions on my chances of getting the brakes fixed under warranty. What’s the point in buying into new vehicle ownership of the manufacture doesn’t want to help, I understand it’s a wear and tear item and I would happily pay towards the cost of new parts s I have 6000 miles of use out of these brakes. But I certainly wouldn’t expect them to cover it over a year old and 10000 miles

#2 ·
Please don’t take this the wrong way, to upset you is not what I am trying to do, however the reason that brakes are not normally covered under warranty is as you said, they are wear and tear items, and depending on how you drive, whether you ride the brakes or brake harshly, or in fact combine the two elements together, riding the brakes to get the discs hot then brake harshly, causing warping, the manufacturers do not know how you are going to drive and therefore are not willing to warranty the bad drivers who buy their products. I do not know if this is how you drive and neither will Renault, but it is certainly worth a phone call because as you said, if you drive normally and brake normally ( whatever normal is!) then they have not given there expected (normal!) life and have therefore not been up to standard quality when fitted, the least they could do is to waive the inspection fee.

#4 ·
Not sure why I would be offended, anyway.
The van has been empty for 5500 miles of its life, towed for 20 of them. I shouldn’t need to consider not braking harshly to avoid warping my discs from a few hard stops, surely the components in the braking system are designed for full loads and many many more miles than they have on them so that’s my argument with Renault.

On another note as I suspect nothing will come of this, anyone recommend decent brake discs and pads for a 2019 1.6dci 145 traffic sport swb, or at least what braking system this van shares in other Renaults

#3 ·
Well here is my two pence worth..you pay's yer money they take the p1ss..can remember me back in 2011 buying a new proton savvy and at 1200 miles the discs needing replacing because they had warped..what did proton have to say on the matter..yes sir we will change them under warranty..they even let me supply after market pads as well with no augment..these might be what they now call wear and tare parts but to many dealers are now jumping on the band wagon with stuff like this..crap service crap parts and this is why with my car which has two years left on the warranty I decided to walk away..(n) if it was my van then I would at least vent my spleen at customer services..

#5 ·
the reason I put the "dont get upset" comment is the fact that I explained something of the same to another member and all I got back was expletives about how good a driver they were and how dare i say that they were rubbish etc etc etc, its easier for me to explain my intentions and save myself the vented spleen effect.

#6 ·
Personally I'd be throwing everything I could at Renault if my discs were warped after 6K.
But I would also be doing my own inspection, especially if the vehicle had stood for any time (lockdown) ???
Judder can come from a number of items, discs only being one of them.
Rust and a clean spot where pads have sat is a classic for vehicles that have stood, sticky pads in calipers is another, both easily remedied with a bit of cleaning.
Tyres and suspension links are another.
To me it's worth giving the beasty a coating of looking at before firing both barrels at Renault.
And if it is warped discs, plenty of photos as evidence.

#7 ·
That’s the thing how far do I go doing my own inspection, if I start messing around taking calipers off and cleaning everything up surely that’s counter productive and if renault find out I messed with it they will just say tough your problem now.

As mentioned before it was doing this at 5000 miles pre lockdown, where it then sat on my driveway for 3 months, also to note my rear pads aren’t making full contact with the discs going by the 20mm thick band of discoloured metal around the edge of the disc. Inside and outside faces of the disc makes me wonder if the correct pads are fitted.

#9 · (Edited)
You are right, brake parts should not turn to cheese after 5000 miles under normal use, all @Dancingdad was saying was, starting at one corner, loosen the wheel nuts, jack it up, make sure the wheel can spin without catching on a warp somewhere, then take off the wheel off and have a look at the clearance between the pads and disc, apply the brake and release and see if they return back to their starting position clear of the disc, give the calliper a good soaking in brake cleaner ( do this anyway whether it is free or not, it’s a good idea to keep the area clean so you don’t get slider blockages due to dirty callipers) then continue and do the same on all four corners, if the discs are warped you will hear the brake pads rubbing as you spin the wheel.

Reactions: Abarth_1200
#10 ·
You are right, brake parts should not turn to cheese after 5000 miles under normal use, all @Dancingdad was saying was, starting at one corner, loosen the wheel nuts, jack it up, make sure the wheel can spin without catching on a warp somewhere, then take off the wheel off and have a look at the clearance between the pads and disc, apply the brake and release and see if they return back to their starting position clear of the disc, give the calliper a good soaking in brake cleaner ( do this anyway whether it is free or not, it’s a good idea to keep the are clean so you don’t get slider blockages due to dirty callipers) then continue and do the same on all four corners, if the discs are warped you will hear the brake pads rubbing as you spin the wheel.
That’s sounds less invasive I’ll get onto that thanks, maybe a video start to finish as evidence for Renault would come in handy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.