Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trafic 1.9 DCI 2004, hard to get going, gas peddle none responsive then ok but smoky when it does get going, engine surging, loss of power. Garage stuck it on diagnostics which said MAF sensor so we changed the MAF. Few days later, it goes again. Garage tells me to take it to the injector man as it must be injectors. Injector man calls me to say it's all ready, injectors are fine it just needed MAF replacing. FFS! Ran ok to start then same issues start again. Seems ok when driving on motorway ( for example), but as soon as you have to stop, gas peddle doesn't respond straight away, smoky, lack of power and generally engine sounds like I feel in the morning, a bag o sh**e. Given up on throwing money at garages so you kind folk are my last hope! Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/advice. Be well, Dave

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,859 Posts
Are these GENUINE MAF's, Renault dont like non gen..
but for two garages to pick the same code, and second not picking up that the first garage had fitted a new maf, and not asked questions ( Apart from being pi55ed off ) would be looking at the wiring inside the plug going to the maf.. ( Did you manage to get the full fault code )

CHECK before you carry on below that speaker terminals will fit its to late after you have cut the plug off, Or if a decent factors, they will sell the correct terminals, but not the plug

Am sure there is enough room to use speaker terminals, if you cannot get a plug to fit the maf..
Just check how much wire you have to play with, if enough.
Take Pictures of position of wires as they fit in the plug.
BEFORE you cut the plug off,
Then crimp terminals onto the wire(s) , refit in correct order, Fill with silicon sealant , allow the hour it needs to cure, before trying ..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers pal. MAF was replaced with a HAAS one I think, not sure what the previous one was but it cost around £90. Do you know if original would be a Bosch or could it be a Renault one? I'll try get hold of an original one before fannying around with wiring I think, then try replacing plug as you suggest. Thanks for your help. D

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,859 Posts
You have had two replaced,
Would be playing the wiggle game here
Switch Ignition on, but dont start it
Move the wires up and down to the maf plug, then left and right.
DONT touch the pedal, and go for starting it..
See if any improvement..

HAAS are a good make, and with it running ok for a couple of days, would deffo be checking that plug.. ( Renault one is just shy of £ 150, )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Better off buying an original MAF from main dealer, i made the mistake of buying a cheap 1 before and it only lasted a few day

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Patwrg. Do you know what make is an original MAF? I've been told it's Siemens but is there an actual Renault MAF?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if Renault make any parts but what they do is stipulate a high quality requirement from the manufacturer and package in their respective box. These parts then come with Renault’s guarantee which means that it’s designed for your application and not just a “it’ll fit “ part. Cheep parts come with cheap guarantee some are useful and some end up costing the same as original equipment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts