Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,

Was hoping someone would give me a bit of advise. I have got a 2006 renault trafic 1.9dci. The van drove up from London to Birmingham airport where it was parked for the weekend upon return to the van it did not start!!! The AA was called and they said no fuel was coming through therefore fuel pump. The van has been towed back to London where initially it was thought that the immobiliser has been unable to be deactivated as immob led staying illuminated and so it was thought possibly body controller was not working. However after plugging it in diagnostics has shown that engine control module (ECM) no communication!!!! THIS trouble code wont go away. Also after unplugging the ecm cant seem to find current going to ecm when testing for power with a test lamp!!

Your help and advise would be immensely appreciate.

Thanx

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Iwould start of by checking ecu pin no's on the
centre plug on the 3 plug ecu unit pin no's bm2 bm3
ba1. If no volts at bm2 & bm3 at ignition on
post back Hth Regards Mickeybo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advise Mickeybo your help is much appreciated. Disconnected ECU and switched ignition on then checked all three plugs for current using test lamp.. In the Top Plug only have +ve current on Pin A1. In the middle plug which is slightly longer (orange/rectangle) only have +ve current in Pin A4. There is no current in any Pin on the bottom plug.

Please advise on next course of action...!!!

Regards..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advise Mickeybo your help is much appreciated. Disconnected ECU and switched ignition on then checked all three plugs for current using test lamp.. In the Top Plug only have +ve current on Pin A1. In the middle plug which is slightly longer (orange/rectangle) only have +ve current in Pin A4. There is no current in any Pin on the bottom plug.

Please advise on next course of action...!!!

Regards..

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Remove engine control relay check relay base terminals 1 & 3 for a 12v feed ign on or off if no voltage found at this point check out fuses 2 off
fuse 2 30amp fuse 02 50/60amp also check out
inerta fuel cut off switch. If above ok replace relay
and disconnect ecu middle plug and check out relay
earth which goes to ecu earth pin no bf1 at this point you should have a 12v feed at bf1 if you attach a jump wire from bf1 to a earth it should activate relay and bring voltage to bm2 & bm3
terminals HthRegards Mickeybo

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any updates on this issue- I have the same problem with a 55 plate 1.9 Vivaro. Immobiliser light on solid, no glow plug light and Delphi diagnostic says CAN- No communication with ECM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tiffx19. This issue with the van was some time ago so I can't remember all the details. From memory I did exactly what mickeybo advised but couldn't find the fault. In the end due to time the van was put into Renault and they resolved the issue. From memory these vans suffer from a break in the wiring loom which runs from the ECU goes under the bulk head to the battery which is under the front passenger foot well. The wiring loom twists a lot so I guess that's probably where it would break or where it stretches and is at risk from vibration. I asked Renault where the break was obviously they didn't say.. I did find pieces of testing wire at the ECU so can certainly say that's where the fault lies as the ECU probably wasn't powering up properly or was unable to send the signal to whatever module that was stopping the van from starting due to a break.

Might be a case of you having to strip the cover off the loom and checking the wires individually but if its not snapped might be had to find a break.

Might be a good idea to do a google search to see if anyone knows exactly where the loom breaks as I think it is always in the same place on these vans.

Good luck..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Many thanks for the reply! I've stripped the loom from the bulkhead down to the gearbox and can't find any breaks etc. Have to head the other way now I guess...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, did you get any further with your fault? I seem to no longer have any power to all 4 glow plugs despite a new relay. Maybe a similar issue is the cause as the van would 'miss' over bumps!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,964 Posts
He did sort it mate, click on tiffs name and look for more posts by him,, it was a wire broke on the loom, going upto the ecu,,,
If no joy I will email him see if he can remember where the break was,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts