Independent Renault Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,523 Posts
Any info to the questions I asked in the post above? I must admit I'm pretty much out of all ideas now. Its a pity Heidi hasn't posted on the forum for a long while now,as she has/had a diesel van but I'm unsure what other newer members are driving.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,477 Posts
Still no power at the fuse board..

Post a picture of your battery, lets see how the leads fit, and how many

You should have power at some point on the fuse board
Side lights are not powered after ignition, but a permanent live , so are the hazards

Everything was ok ( in a fashion) before you changed the Ignition switch.. IS that correct

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Guys
I am in France right now and a mate here, says he is almost certain it will be a problem with a relay. Can either of you point me toward the starter relay? Is it the one under the dashboard? I can't honestly see any other location for a relay apart from this one? He has looked at schematics for Trafics while I have been over here. He is almost certain the relay is not working. But he has no pics to work from. Can you confirm where the starter relay is located?
Matt

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Guys
This is the front view of my fuse board and it has TWO relays on it.
Can either of you confirm whether either of these relays will be my starter relay that my mate is talking about?
If so, I will test them both with a 12v battery when I get back and report my findings.
A faulty relay sounds like it could be the reason no 12v is getting to the starter motor, AND why I have absolutely no power at first position. My mate seems pretty convinced. And he is a frenchman, which also stacks up!
Heheh. Best, Matt

1595220874940.png
1595220874940.png

·
9,523 Posts
If you look at the other side of the board you will see there is only one black square box (presumably a relay .... I've forgotten) and a heavy red cable nearby. Some terminals you see on the fuseboard are unused .... just there for other model variations. Here's a pic of mine for comparison (Petrol version). Can you post up a pic of this side too as you my have something different as you've a diesel.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
If you look at the other side of the board you will see there is only one black square box (presumably a relay .... I've forgotten) and a heavy red cable nearby. Some terminals you see on the fuseboard are unused .... just there for other model variations. Here's a pic of mine for comparison (Petrol version). Can you post up a pic of this side too as you my have something different as you've a diesel.
Hi Renoir
But can you confirm that this is your starter relay?
I definitely have that config on mine as well. But on my circuit diagram, it shows two relays that could be causing the problem. The timer precharge relay and the ignition/starter relay. Is this the ignition/starter relay on yours?

·
9,523 Posts
Have you driven the van over to France? The Russek manual lists for diesel versions a Starter Relay and a Glow Plug Relay ..... so you should have two somewhere. The schematics are very unclear where these are located but to me common sense would say these would be on the fuseboard but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hi Renoir
the van is in Scotland. I fly back from France on Wednesday to finish off the van. I.e. paintwork and re-fitting out of the cab and engine bay. The interior of the van, chassis and bodywork is all but finished.
The glow plug relay is directly behind/underneath the precharge timer (in the middle of hte engine bay) and there are three other relays. One on the dash, which feels like indicators and windscreen wipers (as it feels like its directly hooked up to the stalks) and two relays on the fuseboard bit like yours.
So I think the conclusion is that I need to check both of the fuseboard relays. Would you agree? Thanks for your input mate.
Matt

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
SOLVED!!!

In the most unbelievable of scenarios, a guy in the village was an auto electrician! Came round and in two minutes solved it. Turns out, that stupidly when i reassembled the battery I put the BLACK lead which powers the dashboard onto the NEGATIVE terminal of the battery.

Its hard to believe that i could have been so stupid, but on the other hand. It is typical of the French to do something as illogical, as to mark a positive main lead, in black.

Anyway, alls well that ends well. Thanks for all your kind help chaps.

Matt

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,455 Posts
Now get a roll of red insulating tape and wrap the battery end of that lead.... will save a repeat performance in the future.
With loose leads to batteries (which many of my old cars had), I would bundle all positive and all negatives together at the battery, insulating tape or cable ties keeps them together and reduces head scratching about where does that oddball wire go.

·
9,523 Posts
Phew!! Glad you've got that sorted. (I've just checked my battery pics ... yes black leads on my van for both negative and positive wires too. Seems the french do not follow best practice :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Ok guys... More troubleshooting. NO indicators or hazards. I guess this must be a faulty relay. Would you generally agree with this? Discovered that the head unit on the sony radio is also furked today. Well, at least I think so. I am getting 12v at both the permanant (to battery) and also the normal radio main feeds. Had good ground when tested but absolutely dead. Do you agree with my synopsis on the indicators and hazards? Never had any either, before the van was stripped down.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,455 Posts
Van that age I would suspect a flasher relay lurking somewhere... probably behind dash.
But I stress it is a guess.
Any blown fuses that may be powering them?

·
9,523 Posts
Start by checking each indicator bulb and then check the bulb holder for voltage/earth. As DD says check fuses too. The flasher relay lives behind the instrument panel ... its a flat rectangle(blue iirc) like a pack of fags with wires . You should be able to see it through the RH air vent but not enough to access it. (Edit now I'm wondering it that is the wiper relay? I havn't poked behind there for a while. They are both around there somewhere). The hazard switch can be troublesome (mine is) ... its in two halves that you can pull apart .... the legs in one half seem to make intermittent connection with the contacts in the other half. Clean, straighten the legs and reassemble should help.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Start by checking each indicator bulb and then check the bulb holder for voltage/earth. As DD says check fuses too. The flasher relay lives behind the instrument panel ... its a flat rectangle(blue iirc) like a pack of fags with wires . You should be able to see it through the RH air vent but not enough to access it. (Edit now I'm wondering it that is the wiper relay? I havn't poked behind there for a while. They are both around there somewhere). The hazard switch can be troublesome (mine is) ... its in two halves that you can pull apart .... the legs in one half seem to make intermittent connection with the contacts in the other half. Clean, straighten the legs and reassemble should help.
Hi Renoir. The wiper relay is the blue one. The indicator relay is the black Klaxon M10 behind the fuseboard. the first one at the bottom. (Black high one). I replaced mine anyway. It has not made any difference and so more investigation required.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,477 Posts
Have you thought the relay might be missing ,
You dont really know for sure
Disconnect the battery

Take an indicator bulb out, connect a wire to the centre terminal, if no plug to get to..
The wire needs to reach inside the cab, with your meter on OHMs test any spare relay plugs, If no spare relay plugs, test the ones you have, one will be a circuit

At least you will find the relay wiring ( Only thing you are really after at this point, )

41 - 58 of 58 Posts