Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My first post on here. I have steering problems with my van. I've already had the powering steering pump changed in February and the turret bearings shortly afterwards having cost quite a lot at a garage.

The steering's sometimes stiff and wants to stay slightly turned to one side coming out of corners. The universal joint was also changed just over a year ago and doesn't appear to be sticky. When turning the wheel it's smooth, just occasionally stiff - not always though. The garage has checked everything they did finding no fault and I took it to the local Renault garage for a check of the pump too with no faults found. Fluid level is ok.

Also, there's a squeak coming from near the steering wheel as I turn it (annoying!). I'm presuming this is something to do with the clock spring? Would some lube sort this possibly?

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Simon

R

·
0 Posts
Could it be maybe be one of the lower ball joints trying to seize up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
Is that the track rod ball joint? I hadn't thought to mention I've already had those changed recently too!

To make all this even harder for me, I live in France and I'm having to learn technical terms as I go. It just adds to the fun eh?!

R

·
0 Posts
No the lower ball joint on the wishbone which the suspension leg rotates on

You can blame Google translate for this next bit :)

Aucune boule de l'articulation inférieure de la fourchette qui la jambe de suspension tourne sur

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get outside and check, thanks.

It doesn't help having a French missus as she has no mechanical skills at all, so asking her is useless!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, link and translations ;)
I sprayed the uv joint and it feels a bit smoother, I've got to get out to test it properly though. I had the steering column changed at the beginning of last year, but it's amazing how much salt and dirt you get on the roads over here in winter.
However, when you turn the wheels from left to right, should there be any noise, or should it be silent? There's sort of 'rubbery' grinding noise as it gets close to the full lock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts