Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Renault Trafic 2006 1.9dCi.

Noticed the steering pump was noisier than normal, (fluid level was just below low marker) so refilled it to Max. Noise gone, drove as normal.

Two days later the noise returns and now the reservoir is low and frothy. Air leak suspected, refilled reservoir and got home - took off plastic belly pan and found the leak around the nearside connection to the rack. The connection was dripping from where the pipe goes through the nipple. Tightened it a quarter turn (just), cleaned the area and refilled the reservoir.

Dinner plate sized leak this morning and after my previous night's research, I took the pipe off, cleaned and replaced the 'o'ring, refitted and refilled the reservoir. As soon as the engine was started, it started dripping again. Changed the 'o' ring for thicker one, still leaked. There must be a crack in the pipe - it appears from research that it is a relatively common fault. Found a pair of pipes new on ebay for £33 so not too bad.

The lower ends of the pipes are fiddly, but do-able. How do you access the upper ends of these pipes? The drawing for the rack shows the upper ends fitting into the steering shaft portion of the rack; it seems nigh on impossible to get to them. I would really appreciate anyone having a photo or description / method or experience on how to change these pipes and what is involved to get to them?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,292 Posts
The two Pipes with rubber hoses ?
Or the pipes from one side of the rack to the other side of the rack..?

If the later, sure it will be rack off, to carry out a proper repair..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts