Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to this forum. I've recently privately bought a Trafic campervan that was converted up in Yorkshire some years ago.I live in Somerset. I have contacted the conversion company on Facebook but as it's a Sunday I've not yet had a reply so have tried a few other conversion companies and also thought I'd try here.
Basically our bed doesn't want to stay locked in the bed position and keeps trying to rise back up to a seat! We have usually through trial and error eventually got it to stay down as a bed but it's quite time consuming.
There is a knob under the seat saying turn right to lock (see photo). We were lead to believe by previous owner we need to do this to lock into a bed and have been twisting it but I'm wondering if actually it's to lock it once it's back up in the seat position.
When we pull the bed out it makes a clonking noise once flat which makes me think that should be it locked. But when let go of the bed it starts rising up again.
As I've said after a lot of faffing about pushing the bed down and twisting the knob the bed eventually staying down but there's no set method and I don't know if the knob is doing anything or if just pushing the bed down a dozen times eventually locks it.
Getting it back into a seat is easy as we pull the knob and it automatically lifts up and we then push it fully into a seat again and it clicks into place. (Wondering if that's when the "turn right to lock" knob should be used although it stays as a seat ok without doing this)
Sorry for rambling but I have spent all day googling and can't seem to find a bed the same as ours (can't see a make on it) and there appears to be no one who "fixes" beds if they have a problem hence why I've contacted some conversion companies. I can't really take it all the way up to Yorkshire.
Any help gratefully received.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,041 Posts
Hi Louise
I'll start with saying that I have absolutely no knowledge of these sort of beds so anything I say is a pure guess.
And that you may have to wait for one of our campervan peoples with knowledge so be patient.
Welcome BTW.

Having said that, I can't help but think that twist to lock is a red herring.
It is a Choke cable and any of the old ones here (like me) will recognise it as one.
That means it can operate in two ways.
It will (should) push in and out when it is not locked.
It will lock in any position when twisted.
Taking that thought a little further and that the photo shows it in an out position, it maybe that it needs to be pushed in when the bed is out to lock the bed.... possibly it is pushing a bolt at the far end to lock it.... but that you will/can look and see.
If you follow the cable to the far end, you should see what it should be operating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your prompt reply. We seemed to have sorted it. We took all the seat cushions off and this time pushed knob in while in a seat position. Pulled bed out, it clonked flat and stayed flat. No need to fiddle with the knob! Then pulled knob and bed lifted. Put all cushions back on and managed ok again. Phew! When bed was down the knob was still pushed in so didn't need to do anything. Before we were pushing bed down with knob out then pushing the knob in and twisting it but bed kept rising up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ps, I also thought it looked just like a choke cable!! The one on my mini back in the 1980s wouldn't stay out unless you clipped a clothes peg to it!

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,041 Posts
Bingo.
With it locked it wasn't able to latch.
Glad you got there and thanks for telling us.

Deffo a choke cable and yup, clothes pegs were a common accessory.
As was the ritual to start a car... pull out choke, pump the accelerator three times, hold it in just the right position, turn key and pray, choke half in once settled (and add clothes peg if needed)… times have changed.

Good looking conversion BTW (from what we can see).
What Trafic is it? Age fuel etc.... if you add them in your About details (click your avatar) then it will be there if ever you have an issue with anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts