Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everybody i hope somebody can help,my van has recently had a new hp pump and full service,it went in originally for a non start problem,AA towed it into our local garage who said it was the HP pump, and it needed a full service,however it only lasted 45 miles then stopped for fuel, then wouldnt start, again towed back to garage, who said it was another fault, and changed the battery, it started on there forecourt, got it home 2 miles , then it wont start, turns over and over, but wont fire up..no warning lights on the dash, it has been a perfect runner and never let us down till now.. please any help would be nice, we now have lost faith with the local outfit :mad:

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
When the high pressure fuel pumps fail on the Dci engines 90% of the time the entire fuel system gets contaminated with metal filings. When this occurs if the entire system including the tank is toroughly cleaned the problem will only return causing further damage.

Before going any further I suggest you check the fuel filter for signs of fine metal particles. It's a cheap simple check - if only to rule out that possibility.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that, on the full service the garage changed the fuel filter, cleaned out the fuel pipes and removed and cleaned out the fuel tank also they replaced the crank sensor and cam sensor,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey there.
There's a few possible causes for this.
1. Wireing going to ecu.
On the nearside front the wires are routed down then turn 180 degrees back up to get to the ecu. The wires can chad here at the bend causing a short and also causing a non start
2. Injector
Because the engine is common rail if an Injector is leaking the pressure is not being built up in the fuel rail. If this happens thefuel will not atomise properly and engine won't start. Have seen both proplems occur in a traffic vans and Injector problem in master vans
3. Computer problem
Even if there is no light on dash there might be a problem with the computer. Only way to find out is to carry out a diagnostic on van.
Hope this helps in some way

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i will check the loom to ecu today,also the fuel filter has 2 bleed/drain nozzles i assume,1 on the top and 1 on the bottom,without the engine turning over , if i release the bottom one , i get air escaping, when i try and start the engine diesel does pour out,is this normal? the top nozzle does the same??? :confused: cheers for all the help,i really like the van, but dont wont to get shot of it .can i tell by sight ,just looking if the injectors are leaking,it looks very dry around all of them ,no oil leaks etc

·
Registered
43 Posts
i will check the loom to ecu today,also the fuel filter has 2 bleed/drain nozzles i assume,1 on the top and 1 on the bottom,without the engine turning over , if i release the bottom one , i get air escaping, when i try and start the engine diesel does pour out,is this normal? the top nozzle does the same??? :confused: cheers for all the help,i really like the van, but dont wont to get shot of it .can i tell by sight ,just looking if the injectors are leaking,it looks very dry around all of them ,no oil leaks etc
Don't worry bout bleed screw on the bottom. Ensure this is tight. This one is only for draining dirty fuel during a service that does not require a fuel filter change.
However, you should open the top bleed screw and pump the hand primer to expel air from fuel filter. When diesel pours close bleed screw. This should be carried out when van not running.
If there is air in fuel system the van will not start.
BTW, it is not just Renault that this applies to it is all common rail diesels

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator on your h/pressure pump controls the pressure supplied to the high pressure
common rail has a 2 terminal plug at key on 12v's
which travels through regulator coil then onto ecu
pin no 2l1 to a switched earth. At key on check for
12v's at ecu pin no 2l1. Check also rail pressure
sensor 3 terminal plug marked 1-2-3 with plug connected back probe terminal 2 at key on reading should be 0.5v at cranking should show approx 1v
Hth Regards Mickeybo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thankyou for your reply, i will check at the weekend as iam away working, any more ideas would be great, its really starting to take over my life this van,great joy when its sorted..... i hope

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a problem with a key on one of my Masters.
We had 2 keys for it. One key would always start it and the other key sometimes not... very odd. there apparantly is a sensor in the keys that operate the security fuel shut off so the vehicle cannot be "hotwired". The key goes in, turns the ignition on, turns the starter, the engine turns over as normal but it will not start. you can try 10 times and nothing. then for no reason it would go...or not. Then sometimes be no problem at all. Hot, cold, wet , dry it made no difference
We had to get it recovered once before we twigged.
The second key always started it. It took us sometime to work this out as both keys looked the same and we have several drivers. Maybe worth investigating this? That was a 2001 2.2 Master.
If anyone knows the answer to this I would be interested but vehicle is now gone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i wonder if this could be my problem but so many things it could be , i am getting confused as to what to try next , almost the weekend so i shall get at it saturday, keep the ideas coming people,,the answer is here somewere

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:confused:
i wonder if this could be my problem but so many things it could be , i am getting confused as to what to try next , almost the weekend so i shall get at it saturday, keep the ideas coming people,,the answer is here somewere
still dont start, rained off today, getting desperate now, really dont want to bin it yet,and buy another van, another trafic i aint so sure now after all this, strange thing happening now is that the alarm keeps going off,and rear n/s indicator dont work and we foung the alarm unit has rusted away from the n/s front chassis leg and flapping in the wind, is this meant to be earthed ????

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey there.
I don't suppose you got the van checked for any faults on computer.
In regards to the alarm. I don't suppose you no if the alarm is wired through the immobiliser. I'm not to sure bout alarm wire have you tried fixing it to chasis.
On the dash there is red light(dot) this is immobiliser light. When you turn on key is this flashing. Of so immobiliser is active, if not I Doubt its the immobiliser.
Have you checked for signal at objectors. Multi metre is no addition as signal is too fast to register on it. You will need either led or signal graph.
Have you checked pressure in fuel rail.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:dhad leak test done on injectors, no 1 and 3 no good, got 1 out , the other is moving just, i will keep soaking it with a releasing fluid, no hurry as its been off the road a while now, hopefully this is the problem,well its a start at least, fingers crossed:eek:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
one thing I would check is the seal in the fuel filter housing has been put in the right place (on top of the filter not underneath) and the union is tight, the filter housing has now been modified because it was prone to letting air in, when the ignition is put on and the fuel pump in the tank primes, any slight moisture around the filter seal is a sign of a air leak

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got van back today 11 july, ran superb full power no problem ,,,,, then loss of power on the M4, no revs but engine ticking over but wont rev, pulled over on the hard shoulder, turned engine off. waited 2 mins , engine started, revved up no problem, pulled away, went ok for several miles then same problem, this happened for the next 30 miles cutting out another 3 times in fact...Ideas pleaseeeee !!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update.... today had codes read by another garage, throttle position code ,tried to clear it and of course it wont clear. cleaned egr valve , no difference, starts fine, ticks over, but feels under powered... will have to check wiring to the ecu , have been told it has a wiring fault,thats why it cant be cleared ???? any ideas ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.