Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a new member, i was hoping someone could tell me if there are any known problems with the gearbox that Renault fit in to the Twingo 1.2 GT TCE.

My new Twingo has only done currently 1200 miles and has what can be described as a relase bearing noise while the gearbox is under load, as soon as the clutch is depressed, the noise goes away only to return when the clutch is reengaged, It has been in to my local dealer but at the moment they cannot find the problem!!!!:steam:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well this is the problem because the dealer so far does not any have any ideas on what the noise can be, they told me at the start that it was 'road noise'! Funny as in all the years i been driving i never heard road noise that goes away when you put your foot on the clutch.

How they left it at the moment is to put about 1700 miles on it and see if the noise gets any better, so far it hasn't

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
In all honesty the dealer is hoping the noise will go away. The most common cause of the noise you describe is usually a duff or dirty clutch release bearing. Could be the car was lying around the docks in France for a few weeks before you got it and a bit of mild rust has set in. If you ain't happy with the dealers response you could try letting RCS know your concerns.:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Well this is the problem because the dealer so far does not any have any ideas on what the noise can be, they told me at the start that it was 'road noise'! Funny as in all the years i been driving i never heard road noise that goes away when you put your foot on the clutch.

How they left it at the moment is to put about 1700 miles on it and see if the noise gets any better, so far it hasn't

Ensure you have notified the dealer in writing of your problem so it is officially logged.

Keep a note of all dates, times and who etc you have spoken with

I have driven a Twingo same as yours and cannot recall any noisae.

Contact Renault customer Services via their website and ask for their input into this, Copy and paste a copy of your email to Renault.

Keep a note of any correspondence you have with either the garage or Renault

Keep us updated

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much to ottoman and madnoel, i have contacted RCS, did so about a week into the ownership and there response was not exactly forthcoming, even requested that maybe someone from renault tech came and drove it, but that fell on deaf ears!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Thanks very much to ottoman and madnoel, i have contacted RCS, did so about a week into the ownership and there response was not exactly forthcoming, even requested that maybe someone from renault tech came and drove it, but that fell on deaf ears!!!!
Contact them again.

Ask for a vehicle comparison test drive.

Initial contact with Renault is lower down in the food chain a second contact sometimes gets you higher up the chain.

Ask to speak to a supervisor/manager at RCS.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Comparison test drive has already been done, the comparison car was the dealers demo that i drove in the begin feb, has done 3500 miles and had no noise!!!

The actual guy (who is there senior workshop tech) who drove the car couldn't hear the noise on mine in the start, its only when i drove the demo again with him and then in mine back to back he then started to hear it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry just a quick addendum to the above, the senior tech also said that he would keep checking on the Renault UK tech site, but so far no contact has come back to me from that either

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Send a recorded delivery letter to RCS stating you expect a written aswer within 7 days - that usually pushes the matter farther up the complaints level - makes them think you have sought legal advice:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That does sound like some valuable advice thankyou madnoel, could you give me some pointers as to to what content should be in the letter?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Twingojsh - all letters of complaint should be firm but polite (no rude words or personal criticism) and contain the relevant points of complaint and stick to the point - no waffle. Clearly state what the mechanical problem is and also that your dealer has failed to remedy it.
Remember to include details of times and dates as to when you purchased the vehicle and the number of times and dates you have had taken the vehicle back. Quote your registration number and VIN number as reference.It also helps if you mention that this has caused inconvenience and also mention if you have incurred any additional expenses as a result. It does no harm to mention you are disappointed to say the least as to the quality of service and if the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction you would be reluctant to purchase another vehicle from them and would have great difficulty in recommending them to friends or family. Include all your contact details and specify you expect a written reply within 7 working days.
Last but not least at the top of the letter in large print insert the word "COMPLAINT" - so there is no mistaking what the letter concerns.
Post via recorded delivery - and request proof of receipt.
That way they can’t deny they ever received it.
Oh don't forget to keep copies. Generally I find that written correspondence tends to get more notice.
Good Luck and keep us updated:)

See link below to Newcastle's Council website where it gives advice on writing letters of complaint

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/tscomplaintletter

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for assistance Madnoel, I will keep you and all involved so far with the outcome as soon as i know what Renault are going to do.

Its nice to know that i can speak to people about the problem and not get fobbed off with RUBBISH info from the people who are supposed to know!!!!!

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
if the senior tech has heard the noise as you said then the dealership should be doing something about it. from experience if we admit a fault as in noise etc on a customer car we 99% of the time keep the car til we can fault it and try several things. one example of this was a wind noise on a 197, very slight noise but because the rte admitted hearing the fault we was stuck with the car for 5 weeks until the noise was cured. i would also put thta in your letter of complaint ckearly stating the senior tecg had heard the fault and dealer has not done anything about it. customer satisfaction is one of the main company targets at present so this should help

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The customer satisfaction is interesting as the dealer or Renault so far has not done much to prove this!!!

The senior tech has left it at the moment that he wants the car to do 1700 miles and then get it back in and review it from there. This i find frustrating as the demo that i drove in the begin feb before placing the order, that had done 3500 miles did NOT have the same noise, the tech has also driven the same car back to back and still couldn't hear the noise!!:steam: :steam: :steam:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello fellow forum users, just thougt i'd place an update on the noise situation, after a E-Mail was sent to rcs on the easter weekend i received a phone call from them to say that they had contacted the dealer about the case for an update, obviously the dealer had no more from them!

The upshot is i have now got the car booked in with them on the 8th april and the dealer will have the car for around a week to carry out roadtests and the like to get to the bottom of the problem. They have also agreed to swallow any costs for loan cars throughout the time they have mine off the road!!! Lets hope they get it all sorted out once and for all

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anybody Ever Dealt With Renault Technical Uk*Fixed*

Hello to all, recently i posted a thread regarding my 2008 twingo gt having a noise from the gearbox area (see thread 'My twingo has a noise' in ask the experts, engines section), well the noise is still there and my local dealer has had my car since tuesday 8th april and still not been able to go any further with their diagnosis process.

After a bit of a moan with the sales manager of the dealer(as the service manager appears to be as useless as a one legged man in a ¤¤¤¤ kicking comp)the way its been left is that the head of aftersales of the dealer group wants to drive the car again with myself present so i can point out the noise to him!!!

The situation after that if he cant fault it is to get Renault Technical involved, but i not sure what the process is once they do, can any of you kindly fellow forum users possibly enlighten me as to the process.:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Maybe you should get a second opinion from ANOTHER dealer...

P.S.: I thought that situations like these only occured in the little country that I live, but it seems that "technicians" like the one described can be found throughout the globe :mad: ...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well in a way the car has been looked at by another dealer as the after sales guy who has arranged to drive the car with me didn't know the car or the noise when he first drove it yesterday (10-4-08), and that he works at another branch of the dealer who by all accounts have seen more Twingo's than the service dept who have got the car now!!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts