Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Email just received from renault uk.
Apparently for £20 i can reserve a renault twizy!
I can also book a priority test ''drive''
For some strange reason i cannot take this serious.
Its a sort of urban electric mini car.
Will any of you be buying one?

:)

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Absolutely no chance.

Battery-powered cars have one inherent flaw - their reliance on batteries.

Slow recharge times, doubts over battery life (this is why you lease the batteries, even if you buy the car), limited range, very poor weather & theft/vandalism protection? No, not for me.

My VS acted like an electric car - if not plugged in every night, it would drain its battery, and fail to start also...:d

To my mind, its a 4-wheeled, battery-powered BMW C1, neither fish not fowl - it appealed to no-one.

Paul

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of these might just make the 45 mile round trip for the weekly shop but struggling up the steep, at one point 2 in 10 incline to my home would probably be too much for it.
Ok for inner city dwellers i suppose though, with deep pockets!

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are useless !

If you use A/C, headlights, heater, heated rear screen, radio, etc you migt get 30 miles out of it.
That knocks the shopping on the head then!
On bbc breakfast not long ago one presenter tried driving some distance in a similar car, i would not have the patience for the 8 hour recharge time personally.

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
I'd give it a test drive, but I'd be wanting the £20 from Renault.

Plus a paper bag with 2 eye holes...:d

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
You planning on not breathing during the test drive then Paul. ;) :d
Think I'd be fine, can't see the car taking my breath away...:d

I can just imagine the reaction of pedestrians; half of them stepping out in front of you because they didn't hear you approaching; the other half bent-double with laughter because they did see your approach...

Has it really moved the game on since the Sinclair C5? I think not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
New Twizy questions

Okay you have had a laugh at this new Renault, but now it is time for this forum to earn it's right to be a true Renault group.

Now I have upset a few die hards that think Renault shouldn't do electric cars. I have some questions and thoughts.

Can it be towed , say behind a motorhome?
While towing will it recharge using it's regenative system?
If not any idea so a trailer.

Can i charge it for longer if i do not have a 10amp supply.
Can it be recharge directly at say 60v

Anyone know of a window add on for the doors?
Or an external luggage or bike rack?

The hand book says towing is possible if the battery is flat, but does not state if this simply means if there is nothing else wrong.
Ie. Battery is fine but the car needs to be towed some distance.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
How long is delivery of a new Twizy

I have had my Twizy colour (with doors) on order for 4 weeks and still no date for delivery. I could accept weeks/ months if I wanted say the sun roof that is not out yet etc. But my order is for a basic model.

Tracking delivery of a new car can only be done via the dealer who has better things to do than keep customers up to date!

Okay issue the Twizy comes not on a car transporter but in a crate on a palette. Renault had not sorted out shipping this way other than a few to dealers as demos.

Still its a long time for a vehicle that was already build according to the system.

Anyone else had delays or did you get yours faster?

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Re: How long is delivery of a new Twizy

You say the car has been on order for 4 weeks already, have you paid a deposit therefore? If so then I am pretty certain that the dealer is required to give you a delivery date.

Tracking delivery of a new car can only be done via the dealer who has better things to do than keep customers up to date!
In which case in view of the fact that you have already placed an order it may be time to write to them, formerly registering your dissatisfaction and your intention to cancel the order and reclaim any deposit paid as they have not been able to provide you with a delivery date unless they obtain such date from the manufacturer.

I'm guessing that the issues are being caused by the manufacturer but your dealer is your point of contact and it is their job to obtain the delivery date.

I'm not sure if your contract is with the dealer or the manufacturer. If you book a holiday with a travel agent for example you have no contract with them, your contract is with the tour operator. I'm not sure if the same applies in the new car market.

Be polite, of course, but formalise your dissatisfaction in writing now as it will help you if the situation continues.

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts

Just to clarify a few points raised above.

The contract is between the customer, and the dealer. It is their responsibility to pass your order onto the manufacturer and to keep you updated regarding build & delivery dates.

I agree, be polite in all communication, as it really is in no-one's interest to delay your purchase.

What I would also do, is contact Renault Customer Services, and I would adopt the line that the dealership are saying they have done all they can to expedite the order and build, and what can you (as the customer) do to help that process?

This will keep the dealer on your side (as you aren't openly dropping them in it), but it also gives you peace of mind that all that can be done, has been done.

HTH,

Paul

P.S. In my opinion, it is a brave choice to purchase an electric car. Can I ask is it an additional vehicle to reduce the use of your existing car, or is it intended to be a direct replacement of an existing vehicle?

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have had my Twizy colour (with doors) on order for 4 weeks and still no date for delivery. I could accept weeks/ months if I wanted say the sun roof that is not out yet etc. But my order is for a basic model.

Okay issue the Twizy comes not on a car transporter but in a crate on a palette. Renault had not sorted out shipping this way other than a few to dealers as demos.

Still its a long time for a vehicle that was already build according to the system.

Anyone else had delays or did you get yours faster?
My Twizy Colour was ordered in last week of April and was delivered on 30th May. I had as many updates from Renault London West during that time as I wanted and their service was great.

When I picked up the car they had an unvieling ceremony for me and made me very welcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting range of reactions but not based on the real world.

I now have a Twizy in the driveway along side my Jaguary XJR Portfolio.

I live in Northwood Middx and my office is 20+ miles away in Kilburn.

I took delivery of the Twizy on May 30th and commuted two days last week and so I can give you some real facts.

First let me say that this is such a fun car to drive and while the suspension is hard this didnt matter to me at any rate.

My first morning commute left the battery at 67% and so there was more than enough power to get back home again with some left to spare, however I charged the car at the office and had a full battery when I left for home.

I took the M1 on purpose on the way back to see how driving at 52 would feel in a tiny car. Many people slowed down to say hi or stare but apart form inconvieniencing a bus in the left lane it was not a problem.

Driving at a constant 52 uses about 20% more power than driving slower as you do not get the extra regenerative breaking effect.

Since then I have been using it for local journeys to gym, waitrose, fish and chips and had lots of friendly conversations with interested people who adored the look of the car and thought the techhnology amazing.

I have used 2 of Boris's charging points free as part of the £10 PER YEAR deal via Source London. I am looking forward to my no congestion charge registration and to parking in Westminster FOC.

If I had not been driving the Twizy I would have been using the Jaguar, which is a truly amazing car, for short journeys at under 18mpg and starting that 4.2 litre engine for just me which seems a waste.

Things that are innovative and new always get a few laughs but I do not think the fairly negative comments here feflect the real world in any way.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Just to clarify a few points raised above.

The contract is between the customer, and the dealer. It is their responsibility to pass your order onto the manufacturer and to keep you updated regarding build & delivery dates.

I agree, be polite in all communication, as it really is in no-one's interest to delay your purchase.

What I would also do, is contact Renault Customer Services, and I would adopt the line that the dealership are saying they have done all they can to expedite the order and build, and what can you (as the customer) do to help that process?

This will keep the dealer on your side (as you aren't openly dropping them in it), but it also gives you peace of mind that all that can be done, has been done.

HTH,

Paul

P.S. In my opinion, it is a brave choice to purchase an electric car. Can I ask is it an additional vehicle to reduce the use of your existing car, or is it intended to be a direct replacement of an existing vehicle?
Renault customer services have offered to lok into it but will take 5 to 6 days.

The dealer has had to be asked every time for updates and did ring me once to say it will be with them either 29 or 39th May. No show. They also forwarded all the emails, which shows that they knew it wouldn't be in until after 8th June. But not until 2nd June.

They still have not provided me a date.

Okay why:-
I ride a motorbike to work 6m round trip, but with a big hill that stops me cycling. I had a small 800cc car, I also have access to the wife's car (family size car) and I own a large camper van. I get a bit wet on the motorbike but not cold even in winter, one last thing I have solar panels on my house and currently do not use all the electricity it generates, so it makes a lot of sense to go to an all electric car for my day to day use saving on road tax and servicing. Between the bike and the car I only did 3000miles a year.

Thanks for your comments
Chris

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.