Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got us a Renault Megane mk1 from 2001. It has been standing for 2 years but started normally with a new battery. A lot of wires needed to be checked and cleaned but all of them worked until today.

It started normally and worked very well without any problems. Suddenly after that trying to start it the starter only clicked. We tried to pushstart it. It started but it only ran on 3 cylinders and all the lights like airbag, battery, stop and service lights that would normally burn when turning on power. I guess it needs to be started with a starter to function normally.

I never in my life have worked on renaults so I want to hear all the possible solutions to this.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,510 Posts
Suspect battery given what you say.
Even a new battery can go flat ridiculously quickly if you are working on the car.
When you unlock it, a lot of systems go live and start draining power, even if you do not switch on ignition.

Charge the battery and try tomorrow, I suspect it will start and most (all) of the warnings will have disappeared.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suspect battery given what you say.
Even a new battery can go flat ridiculously quickly if you are working on the car.
When you unlock it, a lot of systems go live and start draining power, even if you do not switch on ignition.

Charge the battery and try tomorrow, I suspect it will start and most (all) of the warnings will have disappeared.
Yes that's the plan I have right now. I forgot to mention that we had driven like 20 km and then it suddenly stopped working but I'll check on this later when I get home.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,510 Posts
There may be other issues that relate to it standing without being used for two years.
But got to start somewhere and without a known good, charged battery, you are on a loser

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There may be other issues that relate to it standing without being used for two years.
But got to start somewhere and without a known good, charged battery, you are on a loser
Possibly may encounter more problems. But always better than nothing as I learn more about renaults. Even if it's just trial and error. I have worked on a lot of older cars with more problems than kilometers driven and learned then so this shouldn't be too hard. Need to be just quick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts