Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Megane mk3 2.0 Tce 2009
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there Renault experts. Has anyone bought the Renolink software directly from Renolink Europe? (RenoLink France). I recently bought the SX USB interface and v1.94 of the software but when I install it my anti-virus detects 3 viruses. I emailed Renolink and they replied with a single sentence saying disable your anti-virus! Not likely!
In all other respects they've been very professional - just wondered if anybody else has had the same issue and if you know if this is a scam?

Thanks.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,199 Posts
Will be a false virus.
They have put a crack in the software to allow you to use it
Just tell your antivirus system, this is not a threat,.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will be a false virus.
They have put a crack in the software to allow you to use it
Just tell your antivirus system, this is not a threat,.
Thanks ours2012. I convinced myself that these are the guys that wrote the software - obviously not if it looks like it's been cracked. This makes me even more nervous! I must admit that I don't really understand - why isn't it a threat? The anti- virus reports that it's installed three Trojans.

Have you had this issue with Renolink? To hear you have and bad things didn't happen would be very assuring.

Thanks, really appreciate your help.

·
38,199 Posts
Its so the crack(activator) will work
Not come across any Cracked software that wont have a false positive virus threat yet ( exe/executive file )
Turn tinternet off, allow Antivirus to let it work, once finished, you can always delete and run your antivirus

Really should not run any car software when connected to tinternet
Better to have a dedicated partition/laptop to use car software on

Lot safer,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks for explaining. Great advice about the dedicated partition or laptop. I'll try that (with wi-fi off) and will report back here in a couple of days n case anyone else is interested.

Thanks ours2012

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,605 Posts
What OS and what antivirus picked it up and did it specify what files were what kind of threat ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What OS and what antivirus picked it up and did it specify what files were what kind of threat ?
Hi Brendan,

This was picked up by Windows Defender on Windows 10. The viruses identified were Trojans called Ymacco.AA29 (listed twice for some reason) and Bladabindi!ml. The last one was flagged as a severe threat - I've looked it up and it does indeed seem to be bad.

The viruses only appeared after running the file IFPREP2.exe, as required in the installation instructions. Defender automatically removed them. I uninstalled everything and repeated the exercise but did a full scan before running IFPREP2 again and it was fine so I'm confident it's that file that installs them.

Thanks for your help.

·
38,199 Posts
windows defender.
that's disabled on all my partitions. bloody thing it slows the laptop down something shocking.
Dont know if its possible on win 10
Only got that on one laptop, not into tinternet based software,

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased the Renolink software and USB Ex device about a month ago from the same site. And faced similar issues. Installation on Windows 10 was a no-no because even after uninstalling bitdefender the windows defender deleted everything.

So installation on a Windows 7 device without virus protection worked.

The activation of the program suggested contacting [email protected].
It turns out he (she?) is the actual developer of the program. So I would suggest anyone wanting to buy the software to contact the email above and forget Renolink-Europe.

In some posts it was mentioned that RenoLink is based on DDT4ALL, so that may be an option too.

So far, the usb ex device and and Renolink have been a letdown :(
  • first thing I wanted to do was creating a second card key for grand scenic 2. The program does read the pin but after that I cannot get forward
  • the USB Ex came in a bag that hinted at two other software. Neither of these connect to the device.

So all in all, the purchase from Renolink-Europe:
  • the software maybe is not theirs to sell, it is unpleasant to install and it does not work as intended
  • there is no real manual available. The advice I can find does not work
  • the usb ex adapter works only with the Renolink software (which is not fully working)

So wasted money.

To be able to do something useful I purchased obdfusion for my iPhone and a WiFi elm327 adapter. Not yet tried those.

I am considering:
  • making another purchase of Renolink from gabigafu, perhaps it would work better
  • taking my time to install DDT4ALL
  • going in the direction of CLIP - I already got a copy of the software but would need the physical CLIP device
  • simply paying for another key card to be made at a local key shop
:(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I purchased the Renolink software and USB Ex device about a month ago from the same site. And faced similar issues. Installation on Windows 10 was a no-no because even after uninstalling bitdefender the windows defender deleted everything.

It turns out he (she?) is the actual developer of the program. So I would suggest anyone wanting to buy the software to contact the email above and forget Renolink-Europe.

In some posts it was mentioned that RenoLink is based on DDT4ALL, so that may be an option too.

• first thing I wanted to do was creating a second card key for grand scenic 2. The program does read the pin but after that I cannot get forward
  • the USB Ex came in a bag that hinted at two other software. Neither of these connect to the device.

• the software maybe is not theirs to sell, it is unpleasant to install and it does not work as intended
  • the usb ex adapter works only with the Renolink software (which is not fully working)

So wasted money.

To be able to do something useful I purchased obdfusion for my iPhone and a WiFi elm327 adapter. Not yet tried those.

I am considering:
  • making another purchase of Renolink from gabigafu, perhaps it would work better
  • going in the direction of CLIP - I already got a copy of the software but would need the physical CLIP device

So wasted money.

I am considering:
Thanks for the detailed account Foul2021. It looks like I'm destined for the same experience then!
I wonder if there actually is a genuine, non malicious version of this software? I'm assuming it is a bespoke development, not simply cracked official Renault software but maybe I'm naive!
I'll try it in an isolated environment with Wi-Fi disabled as previously suggested and see how it goes.
This is my only chance to save the car as it's not economic to get a garage to fix it (occasional EPS failure and now ABS light).
Will update here soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Meanwhile, I've attempted to install the software in a Windows 10 virtual machine with USB enabled, Windows Defender on snooze and the network adapter disabled so there's no Internet. I followed the instructions to generate a text file that you're asked to email to obtain a licence but nothing was produced.

I'll try to get my money back but think I'll have to write this (and the car?) off to experience!

·
Registered
17 Posts
A short update about my status:
  • I installed the DDT4ALL onto 1 year old Lenovo 2-in-1 laptop with latest Windows 10 64 bit. No virus notifications of any kind
  • from GitHub you can get the program. Additionally an ecu.zip file is needed in the programs folder. I found this through Renault specific installation packages available through Google search / (other) forums (install, copy the software ecu.zip, then delete and install the latest from GitHub)
  • the program looks very much the same as RenoLink. Based on first impressions this would be the first thing to try
  • at this point I had only a cheap 7 USD WiFi ELM327 odb2 device at hand. The DDT4ALL was able to detect it and could read the ecus available in the car
  • when looking at detailed information of each ECU the program said “disconnected” so I could not reliably read or change anything

I must test the program later with the USB SX adapter I have.

Additionally, a former Renault owner was selling a CLIP device so that is also being delivered.

Bottom line still: do not buy from Renolink-Europe!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A short update about my status:
  • I installed the DDT4ALL onto 1 year old Lenovo 2-in-1 laptop with latest Windows 10 64 bit. No virus notifications of any kind
  • from GitHub you can get the program. Additionally an ecu.zip file is needed in the programs folder. I found this through Renault specific installation packages available through Google search / (other) forums (install, copy the software ecu.zip, then delete and install the latest from GitHub)
  • the program looks very much the same as RenoLink. Based on first impressions this would be the first thing to try
  • at this point I had only a cheap 7 USD WiFi ELM327 odb2 device at hand. The DDT4ALL was able to detect it and could read the ecus available in the car
  • when looking at detailed information of each ECU the program said “disconnected” so I could not reliably read or change anything

I must test the program later with the USB SX adapter I have.

Additionally, a former Renault owner was selling a CLIP device so that is also being delivered.

Bottom line still: do not buy from Renolink-Europe!
Thanks for the update Foul2021. I strongly agree on the last point. In addition to the virus laden software I received from them, the OBD SX cable they sent appears to be faulty. I've tried everything, adjusting baud rate, latency, re-installing the FTDI drivers etc but it won't connect using obdwiz and is not responding to AT commands from Tera Term.
I'm currently waiting for a new one from Scantool in the US to arrive.
Interesting that you've tried DDT4ALL. Did I notice this being installed by the Renolink installer?
Thanks for the info about ecu.zip. I'll have a play when the new cable arrives.
Good luck with your efforts!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Probably my last note about Renolink (-europe)
- still: forget it

And success in different things today with the CLIP V178
- coded another key card
In addition I needed the “Renault PIN extractor” - I purchased a few from eBay (first one had some virus) and the program mentioned it was done by gabigafu
  • changed the setting for day time lights (in 0 position lights were on, changed to off as only led DRL is needed)
  • cleared some faults
  • noticed a problem with ac interior temperature and was able to fix it based on the information
  • also perhaps messed something about the “multiplex network” - but all needed for now is done and car seems to be running as intended

So:
Forget Renolink-Europe!
1. try DDT4ALL first - that experience gave a clue about where I could find different things
(Option in between: contact Gabigafu and purchase software from him)
2. CLIP (I stumbled upon an uk website selling different versions)
Forget Renolink-Europe!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
H
Probably my last note about Renolink (-europe)
- still: forget it

And success in different things today with the CLIP V178
- coded another key card
In addition I needed the “Renault PIN extractor” - I purchased a few from eBay (first one had some virus) and the program mentioned it was done by gabigafu
  • changed the setting for day time lights (in 0 position lights were on, changed to off as only led DRL is needed)
  • cleared some faults
  • noticed a problem with ac interior temperature and was able to fix it based on the information
  • also perhaps messed something about the “multiplex network” - but all needed for now is done and car seems to be running as intended

So:
Forget Renolink-Europe!
1. try DDT4ALL first - that experience gave a clue about where I could find different things
(Option in between: contact Gabigafu and purchase software from him)
2. CLIP (I stumbled upon an uk website selling different versions)
Forget Renolink-Europe!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Foul2021. Great news, glad you've made some progress.

I've got my new cable and have installed DDT4All as you suggested. I've been able to use it to measure the individual wheel speeds so I assume that means the ABS sensors are ok. (All speeds very similar too.)
There seems to be some tests for the Abs pump so that's my next line of attack. I find the software is a bit cryptic (being in French doesn't help does it!) but it looks powerful if you know what you're doing. (Of course I don't yet!)

Good luck with your car!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts