Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice. I've just bought a second hand 2009 renault megane coupe. The guy I bought it from it pretty clueless when it comes to cars so I thought I'd ask on here :)

So my first question is.. does this car come with a timing chain or belt? And do you know a rough estimate on how much this would be to replace. My dad always taught me to change a timing belt when buying a second hand car as they cause havoc when they break.

Another question, I cant seem to find any videos on this issue, one of the rear seatbelts is stretched out and won't retract or work at all. Any idea how to fix this? I have a mot in December and dont want this to be a reason to fail. So looking on advice how to fix it.

Thanx all :)

·
Premium Member
6,379 Posts
hI

Welcome to the forums .

you do not say what engine of fuel type your new car is ? however I can pretty well be certain in advising you that it will have a timing belt . To do this job properly a complete timing kit including water pump and auxiliary belt as well as new coolant should be fitted. I've just had a quote for doing all this on my 2014 1.5 dci Megane of £360 all in from an independent garage, the dealers probably nearly double that.

Re your seat belt, give it a good looking at, get the seats out of the way & pull it all the way out and see if there is a twist or anything else jammed in it ? & try feeding it back in, I've never had a seat belt fail completely in over 40 years but if your looking at replacement, personally, for safety I'd get a new one but there are 2nd hand ones about if you're on a budget.

Al

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,906 Posts
Will need the ROOF down to get the offending side pane/cardl off,
Also back seat needs to be out
Its take the roof down,
Just where the window rises at the back, these panels ( At the top of the door card)
These pop up and out, Two torx screws hold the back, of the back seat in place, one each side.
Remove base of the seat, its grab hold of the front of the seat, where it meets the floor, and give it a good pull up
Could still have all 3 clips in place, so both sides and the middle of the seat needs lifting out
Now because torx screws are removed, back of the seat will come forward and lift up and can be moved to the side ,
Should be able to get at Offending belt now
( I think going off memory here, and dont remember the rear seat belt being inside rear panel,)
BUT if it is,and you have to remove rear panel:::::
You now remove the panel running along the front to the rear of the car, covering the carpet plus the rubber seal covering the side of panel, if fitted
The side panel can now be removed, Push in clips here, One or two where the seat back goes, and one just where the front part of the seat fitted
Now its a pull from the centre of the panel
This part is not so easy to explain
Imagine the middle of your front door
The hidden clip, is about the same distance up , so the front middle of the ( Rear) panel, pull it away from the bottom, and the side, and it will clip off.
Now lift the panel up and off

·
Registered
62 Posts
hi leigh14
congrats on buying a prestigious vehicle and more congrats in being bothered to look after it :)
you don't say what engine you have?

Reactions: Leigh14

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well done they are fantastic underrated cars for real driving enthusiasts (y)& offer an amazing experience for the initial low cost.
Here is mine: Megane TCE 180 Coupe 2010 | Independent Renault Forums

If you type your reg no on this webpage it will tell you what engine type you have:
Superchips provides petrol and diesel engine ECU remapping.

What engine do you have ?? if its petrol I am guessing its a 2009 1.6L (most common engine then!). Most petrol mk3 Meganes have timing belts (CVT variants need timing chain) so yes it needs changing ASAP as 72K or 5 years is the official Renault stance and some have been known to snap taking most of the engine top end with it so you really need to do it ASAP as 12 year old belts are quite likely to snap without notice!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well done they are fantastic underrated cars for real driving enthusiasts (y)& offer an amazing experience for the initial low cost.

If you type your reg no on this webpage it will tell you what engine type you have:

What engine do you have ?? if its petrol I am guessing its a 2009 1.6L (most common engine then!). Most petrol mk3 Meganes have timing belts (CVT variants need timing chain) so yes it needs changing ASAP as 72K or 5 years is the official Renault stance and some have been known to snap taking most of the engine top end with it so you really need to do it ASAP as 12 year old belts are quite likely to snap without notice!!

Hi there. Sorry its a 1.5 dci :)

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,117 Posts
Sorry. Its a 1.5 dci. Diesel
Deffo belt
6 years or 72K miles, whichever is soonest is AFAIK Renault recommendation.
If it is a 2009 with no belt change history, well overdue.
If it had one change around recomended time period, still overdue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
K9K (aka 1.5 diesel) timing belts are well easy.
Getting access to the timing belt is another matter.
But - that's what sorts the technicians from the technicians...

Do you want to give it a go yourself? Belt kits are prob only about 100 quid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts