Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a renault kangoo, 2004, 1.2L 16v.

A few weeks ago I realised the brake lights had stopped working. Given they had failed on both sides (central light has never worked as long as I've had the car, but apparently not an MOT fail- may be relevant?), I tried a new brake light switch.

After fitting, this appeared to fix the problem. However, about a week later, I found that the brake lights had gone from working fine, to now being switched on permanently. Tinkering with the switch, I could make them turn off by pressing the switch with my finger, so planned to bodge a repair with a spacer between pedal and switch. A few days later, before I got round to repair, I then found that the brake lights were now off permanently, and could no longer be switched on/off with the switch.

I put this down to a faulty switch, and bought another from a different brand. Lights worked fine for a couple of days, but now permanently on. Interestingly, this time round, the lights can't be switched off by pressing the switch myself.

I wonder if I am purchasing the wrong switch spec from the Euro Car Parts options which come up when I enter my numberplate? Alternatively, I wonder if some sort of circuit failure could be causing switches to fail, without blowing fuses. (Especially in the context of a central brake light which has never worked)

Any suggestions or thoughts on that long winded explanation of a seemingly simple problem would be much obliged.

Tom

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,424 Posts
Unlikely to be electrical causing switches to fail, anything likely in that respect would also show elsewhere, fuses or blown bulbs or the like (IMO)

I'm wondering if the switch mounting is out of position so switch is being over pushed or side load...mechanical issues.
As long as is switch fail.... have you checked by bypassing or meter ?

Central light likely bulb(s) or cables to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dancingdad. I think you're probably right with the mechanical suggestion. I've not bypassed per se, but assumed that having immediately fixed the problem with a new switch would rule out problem elsewhere. Will test the old one with the ohm meter to see.

As for third light, new bulb didn't fix a while back, so have meant to look in to wiring another time, but never got round to it yet!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,547 Posts
What same problem, Switches packing in or ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for replying ***x1f44d; I have changed the brake switch twice and it works for a day then goes again. No fuse blown, sometimes if I disconnect the switch once it has broken and reconnect the lights are on constantly, disconnect again and nothing. If I put a new switch in everything is fine for a day again. I have just put a completely different make of switch in with two pins instead of four like the previous and so far so good will know more tomorrow if it is still working. Could it be cheap rubbish switches?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts