Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I need to replace the bulbs on my Scenic RX4 radio/clock cluster. I have found a similar thread for a scenic 1 but cannot view the photos. Any help/hints or links would be very much appreciated.

Cheers - Ormerboy.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,568 Posts
why is Craig Revel Horwood doing car movies? >:)>:)

·
Premium Member
Renault Scenic 1.6 L 16V 2002 Petrol
16,078 Posts
Very easy, remove top of dash by removing speaker covers, credit card or something similar to lever them up, they are just a push fit. you will find a Torx screw under each cover, remove the two Torx screws and pull the whole dash top towards you. It comes away quite easily. Then you can get at all the goodies underneath.

The clock / radio cluster unscrews and the bulbs are on the back.

A little tip to get the bulbs out of the holder wrap a little masking tape around the bulb and then you can grip it otherwise it is so small and smooth removal of the bulb is nigh on impossible. Trying to grip the bulb with pliers is a no no as you will more than likely break it.

The bulbs I used are

10 x ORIGINAL OSRAM W2x4.6d 286 CAPLESS DASHBOARD 12V 1.2W CAR LIGHT BULBS

These I got from ebay. Good quality original spec bulbs.

Updated link to ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-ORI...276927&hash=item19edf3ded0:g:oKEAAOSwXXxZQ7ln

There are cheaper alternatives but as my review said the originals lasted 14 years so these should outlast the car.

:smile2: :grin2: :laugh: >:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you KingWhisers - that is extremely useful and very much appreciated - top answer!!
Cheers - Ormerboy.

·
Premium Member
16,078 Posts
Thank you KingWhisers - that is extremely useful and very much appreciated - top answer!!
Cheers - Ormerboy.
Glad to Hep.

It is an easy job even more so if there are two of you for sliding the top of the dash on and off.

There are no wires or anything to worry about as you slide it off.

Putting it back requires holding it down to engage all the holding lugs, about 1/2 inch before sliding into final position. It may require a little bit of a bash from your hand to get it home before fitting the holding down screws and refitting the speaker covers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers again - the extra advice is also appreciated - and I've just ordered the bulbs!!
Keeping the old 'gal' going can be a bit of a trial at times - but with help from people like yourself we manage it somehow.
All the best - and thanks again,
Ormerboy.

:grin2:0:)

·
Premium Member
16,078 Posts
Cheers again - the extra advice is also appreciated - and I've just ordered the bulbs!!
Keeping the old 'gal' going can be a bit of a trial at times - but with help from people like yourself we manage it somehow.
All the best - and thanks again,
Ormerboy.

:grin2:0:)
As you can see in my side panel I have one as well, just coming up to 90,000 on the clock. I really love it and for an 02 it is not in too bad a nick.

Still got the original propshaft and it is not noisy or vibrating.

It is the Salomon Edition 2.0 Petrol.

A bit of a vanity vehicle for me, doing it up slowly to get it back to mint condition.

The spare on it has never been used but it will need replacing as it is starting to crack.

The Air con and heating work perfectly and I am well pleased with it.

They will start becoming collectors items soon as they are getting quite rare.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ours is similar - 2.0 petrol 2002 Privilege - 97k but 2 wd. Had the prop shaft removed 5k miles ago after doughnut blew and caused a few problems. However, now returns 31mpg around town, and 39 on motorway!!!! Have to say it drives nicer too.

Pretty sure problem caused when put 2 new tyres on - these had thick/chunky tread and remaining 2 were pretty low. As a consequence, the very small difference in diameter caused the 4wd system to become out of 'sinq' and the weakest point was the doughnut. If in any doubt, put on 4 new tyres so everything is the same - have heard of this problem a few times before for 4WDs. Also, it's worth changing the doughnut if in any doubt (but guess you know that)

These things still look great and very good for a bit of off-roading - our spare is an original, but half used.

All the best - your help is much appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts