Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sometimes it works and then it does not problem. I have a Megane 11 plate hatchback, my screen washer is malfunctioning. What is the best way to find and replace if necessary.
Sorry if this is in the wrong location.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Can you always hear the pump working whenever you attempt to spray the washer fluid?

If so, it could be a blockage in the lines. If not, check wiring and fuse box. If that's all good, replace the pump.

Location - Offside Front, Remove Wheel and Arch Liner to access.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you always hear the pump working whenever you attempt to spray the washer fluid?

If so, it could be a blockage in the lines. If not, check wiring and fuse box. If that's all good, replace the pump.

Location I think is behind the bumper, offside front. Will look up later if nobody chips in.
Thank you for reply BradleyW. No noise when not working only the wipers going. as I said sometimes it works and other times not.
Plenty of fluid. looking at the fuse list are the wiper blades on the same fuse windscreen washer No 14. I see the rear screen wiper has its own fuse.
do not fancy taking the front off, the missus will have kittens,lol Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,558 Posts
If you can hear the pump, chances are a blockage as said, diverter valve assy at base of pump would IMO be favourite.
If pump fails to run, connections, broken wire, stalk control ?
As it is intermittent, could be a bu55er to find.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
If the fuse was bad, I don't think the issue would be intermittent, but won't hurt to check! I'd say a wiring continuity issue or a failing pump. If it works under a bench test, you have a wiring problem somewhere. If not, you know the pump is failing.

·
Premium Member
Renault Scenic 1.6 L 16V 2002 Petrol
16,694 Posts
Thank you for reply BradleyW. No noise when not working only the wipers going. as I said sometimes it works and other times not.
Plenty of fluid. looking at the fuse list are the wiper blades on the same fuse windscreen washer No 14. I see the rear screen wiper has its own fuse.
do not fancy taking the front off, the missus will have kittens,lol Thanks for the help.
A big job to change the washer pump. Wheel off and inner arch out. That is if it is the same as a MK 1 Scenic!!!
Then you have full access to the pump and connections.
Could be corroded connections to the washer pump.
The piping to the screen washers on my Scenic 1 was perishing and the reservoir was not holding water. Windscreen wipers off, scuttle drain cover off at bottom of windscreen, centre section of scuttle off, wiper motor off then able to get old pipework out and replace with silicone pipe. Washer bottle was not leaking per say, the frost had pushed the motor out of the rubber grommet that it seals into the washer bottle. While out easy to clean the inside of the washer bottle with a bottle brush and some detergent, the places that you can't reach put one of those green scourer pads in and shake and that finishes it off and then rinse out. It is amazing how much gunk actually grows in there even using proper screen wash.
Replace parts, and test before putting inner arch back on.
A little tip for the washer nozzles, a small hypodermic syringe fits the Scenic washer nozzles perfectly on the MK1, Disconnect the pipe at the "Y" joint and back flush the pipe out, gets all the crap out of the washer pipes.
While you are at it flush the scuttle drains at the same time before replacing the wiper motor, easy then to give it a good wash out and make sure they are clean, prevents possible problems further down the line.
Best of luck. :) :) :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies, So it has stopped raining and started to investigate the problem, first up check the fuse.
the fuse is position 14 that is positioned at the top behind the Dashboard can not get my fingers let alone a kind of puller to remove it. Had one last go at the stalk one small pull back one wiper swipe a longer pull back and 4 wiper swipes.
all normal except no water pump. I then pulled the stalk back quickly about six times and pump activated, left it and it is working normally front and back. will see how it goes. sods law it will play up when in for an MOT. once again thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you can hear the pump, chances are a blockage as said, diverter valve assy at base of pump would IMO be favourite.
If pump fails to run, connections, broken wire, stalk control ?
As it is intermittent, could be a bu55er to find.
I appreciate this is quite an old thread, but I'm in the same boat and my washer pump still seems to be working, just little or no flow to the windscreen (back or front).
Does the diverter valve assy contain a filter, and if so is it possible to take the assy apart to clean the filter ? I'm contemplating just changing the pump given that they appear to be relatively inexpensive, if that's the most likely source of the blockage.

I watched a video on youtube with a Ford Kuga and the filter was attached to the rubber grommet where the pump goes into the reservoir, but this appears not to be the case on my Megane I (unless the filter has become detached and gone inside the reservoir!). Given Dancingdad's comment above, I'm guessing the diverter valve assy must contain the filter as he's suggesting that's the most likely source of a blockage.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,762 Posts
we tend just to replace the washer pump
these can be bought at any motor factors for less than £15 not worth trying to repair
BUT you have to take it out, so its always a good time to clean the washer bottle
IF not got a garden hose, plenty of hot water

BE VERY careful with the water that comes out

THIS HAS BEEN PROVEN to cause Legionnaires disease
SO PLENTY of hot water and wash your hands after doing this job
GLOVES are recommended here

·
Premium Member
Renault Scenic 1.6 L 16V 2002 Petrol
16,694 Posts
we tend just to replace the washer pump
these can be bought at any motor factors for less than £15 not worth trying to repair
BUT you have to take it out, so its always a good time to clean the washer bottle
IF not got a garden hose, plenty of hot water

BE VERY careful with the water that comes out

THIS HAS BEEN PROVEN to cause Legionnaires disease
SO PLENTY of hot water and wash your hands after doing this job
GLOVES are recommended here
I took my washer bottle out, stuffed a small green scouring pad, bleach and detergent in to clean it out,, the black gunk that grows in there is horrible. it keeps blocking the jets. A good shaking got it pretty clean. I found a longer than normal bottle brush and that helped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts