Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2015 Clio MK4 (Dynamique MediaNav) and experienced heavy bluetooth stuttering issues. Upon searching for a proposed fix, it looks like Renault brushed any responsibility of it and its basically a piece of crap. I'm looking to bin it and get something more competent. Looking for straight swap units (Android based) to go in its place and looking for suggestions if anyone has done this to theirs? I'd like an Android unit with enough RAM (2GB+) and things like Apple CarPlay etc. Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
6,986 Posts
swapping head units is not a difficult science, but only you know what you want in a head unit, so it’s best for you to find the one you want and then we can see about helping you fit it to your car, or give you information as to whether it is feasible or not

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I've got some idea of what I want to fit, but its the fascia that's the off-putting part. I'd assume I'd need to buy another fascia and adapt to fit the new unit. Found a nice Android unit with the fascia attached, which should fit in its place. Maybe that's the answer, but was hoping there would be a way of fitting a sub £100 unit with the aim to be at least more competent than the junk that's already there lol.

·
6,986 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that not for an older Clio ? I cant even find a fascia adapter for the MK4 Clio. Its all older models. Is the only option cutting the existing surround to fit another unit?

·
6,986 Posts
you know what you need, I cannot see your stereo, have a look through their website and see if they have what you need

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so the replacement has not been decided or purchased. In all honesty, I am annoyed I am having to shell out to replace the crapnav in the first place but here we are.

Looking at this;

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/123513779565

Had one before and it was decent. Seems to be no adapted surrounds to house a different double din unit and connects2 do not appear to have anything?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, that's an excellent point. I refer to the MediaNav as a double din, where as its actually a single din but appears as a double. That was my mistake, and explains why I've been having issues. Are there any units you'd recommend that would be a decent straight replacement? I'd like a decent unit, but as best as I can get around £100 ideally. I'd like Apple CarPlay or mirror linking, but I play music through Spotify quite a bit so the bluetooth performance is a must. I use my phone for almost everything else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the current stereo, and as you can see the issue is the cut outs for the power and USB. Another unit may fit in behind but it'll leave holes in the fascia. Unless of course there is another way forward?

·
6,986 Posts
As it is single din, you would need to replace it with as single din, the reason I say that is because of this caution from an In Car Entertainment supplier and fitter

Although we may have cables to fit the Double Din unit to your car there is either no facia conversion kit available, it is impossible to do or you will need professional engineers to adapt your dashboard.
If you have a hacksaw, some fibreglass resin and some imagination... good luck :)

proof - the website that quote came from

and single din ( including Sat Nav) and bluetooth are running into the £600 bracket

so I throw it back into your court, you either just get a single DIN head unit that talks to your phone, and do without Navigation ( or buy a Garmin as well, or use your data on your phone). and the cables to make it work with your car, or you stick with what you have!

I got a fantastic deal on my DAB stereo I have fitted to my Modus at the moment, got it for £35 from halfrauds as an ex display, it has a USB socket, but no bluetooth, but Planet Rock is good enough for me :) just keep an eye out

·
6,986 Posts
This is the current stereo, and as you can see the issue is the cut outs for the power and USB. Another unit may fit in behind but it'll leave holes in the fascia. Unless of course there is another way forward?

that looks like the whole front of the Dash would need to be modified to make an aftermarket stereo fit :nerd:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah ok, so I wasn't just missing something then lol. Ok, so the MediaNav evolution you linked before in another thread would be a solution also, as I can live with everything else, its just the bluetooth jumping (the unit even froze up on me yesterday on my way home, so I drove with basically nothing for the last 25 minutes of the journey. Fantastic unit!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that looks like the whole front of the Dash would need to be modified to make an aftermarket stereo fit :nerd:
This is the kinda thing I had seen;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1024-600-10-1-Android-8-1-Android-8-0-Car-Radio-GPS-Multimedia-Head-Unit/32840681952.html

Although for the price its just not that important to me. Due to the limitations with the fascia, I'm guessing the evolution upgrade would need to be the same style unit again (power button and usb to the right hand side. I've not seen any fascias that accommodate the other style with the buttons along the top (like in some Dacia's). Perhaps others had spent all this time looking and came to the same conclusion that its either change to the evolution nav or put up with it.

Such a shame that the units limitations are held back by its processing capabilities. In this situation, my iPhone XR doesn't have an aux jack (can get the adapter though so can try with that) and USB doesn't work, and so I could use a bluetooth speaker in the car, or I could just use one of my AirPods lol.

·
6,986 Posts
yup it would seem to be upgrade the sdystem to the media nav evolution would be the way to go, it should work seemlessly with your car as it is an upgrade to the media crap nav you have now.

they are still expensive second hand, I think the cheapest I have seen is about £160 and its from Poland -
Ebay Auction

you take the front panel off the car with all the switches etc, and the stereo is screwed to the frame behind it, just unscrew it, remove all cables, fit them to the media nav evo system ( get the stereo code if you buy one) then put the car back together

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you know if there is a difference between LAN5210WR1 and LAN5210WR4? I've seen different part numbers on these units but not sure what differentiates them?

·
6,986 Posts
I am sorry I do not know what the difference between the versions is, I assume its to mark which firmware the stereo has, but that is a guess I am afraid

1 - 20 of 24 Posts