Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
This is my first post so hopefully some of you guys will be able to help. I have a 1.2 16 valve 002 clio. Sadly the car was run for a long journey low on oil and is now knocking like mad. It is obvious that the motor is done. I have the chance of a replacement engine. My question is, will this be ok once slotted in. Are there going to be any problems with electronic, immobilisir or cu codes. Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi Jock, and welcome to the forums.

Its only an educated guess, but presuming both engines are the same, I think that it should slot in no probs. What i would be inclined to do (to minimise any software glitches) would be to retain and use as much of the original wiring as possible from the original engine, and use it on the replacement.

That way, you are reducing the amount of variable factors which can cause problems/incompatibility issues.

Hope that helps to confirm what you were already thinking.

Paul:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
If its the same engine the ecu will be fine with it. If the engine is bigger (do it!!) then it will need remapping, best to get this done by a proper garage but it can be done yourself if you get hold of the correct software and files...
Just dropping a 1.2 engine in should be fine though, remember that your existing ecu does control other parts of the car (locking, alarms etc etc) and thats why you should keep the same one or lots of programming and stuff will need doing.
You should be fine though...

HTH!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting stuff! I was wondering, should one day my motor give up on me, would I be able to put a 16v engine in it's place - a 1.6 for more power (20bhp more power!) :cool: and economy, or a 1.4 for a little more power (8bhp more?) and even more economy and cheaper tax! :confused:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
As long as the 16v is effectively the same engine as the 8v (okay, twice the valves - but you know what I mean;) ), then I can't see any major issues with the swap (as long as you swap complete engines, rather than trying to convert one into the other). Positioning of sensors may differ, but that's all I can imagine.

I read quite a few car mags, and believe me, if they can get fwd Vauxhall engines to run rwd in Fords, and fit sierra sapphire cosworth engines & 4wd into a Ka, then this type of swap sounds fairly straightforward by comparison.

If your existing engine is in good shape, and you fancy a bit of extra top-end power - you could always try a shot of the old laughing gas:d .

Remember, 8v engines have more torque (and horsepower) than 16v engines in the lower rpm band - its only when you get above say 3,000 rpm then the multivalve has the edge - so its not really a case of 'free' power, there is a trade-off.

Paul:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
if its the same engine the ecu will be fine with it. If the engine is bigger (do it!!) then it will need remapping, best to get this done by a proper garage but it can be done yourself if you get hold of the correct software and files...
Just dropping a 1.2 engine in should be fine though, remember that your existing ecu does control other parts of the car (locking, alarms etc etc) and thats why you should keep the same one or lots of programming and stuff will need doing.
You should be fine though...

Hth!
hi thinking of doing the same thing will the 1600 fit on the 1200 gearbox thanx ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting thread. I've toyed with the idea of replacing my 1.4 16V as I've never been happy with the drive compared to my old 1.2 8V. Reading what VelSatisfied said about torque it might explain why. I don't think I can justify the cost though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would also ensure that you get a decent warranty with the replacement engine, in case of sticking valves for example.

My 1.4 16V Clio suffered a complete engine collapse through overheating - water pump broke, cambelt snapped, big damage etc - and I had an identical spec'd engine fitted that had only done 55k miles, as opposed to 108k that broke.

Unfortunately it seems the 'new' engine suffered from misfiring, probably due to sticking valves and despite using fuel additives and fuel flushes, as well as initially replacing throttle position sensor & coil pack in an attempt to solve it, its still not right and out of warranty.

Basically, common sense, make sure your replacement engine is working absolutely fine and ensure your warranty is good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts