Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
1994 Trafic T1100, 2000 Honda Civic, Suzuki GS450E
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Can I first say, " What a ****ING SHYTE design for the front disc/hub assembly!!!!!!

My van failed it's MOT on seized front calipers, he wouldn't even risk putting it on the rollers!! Drove there ok, drive back was a little less so!! 馃槼
Anyway, he suggested new pads and discs, from experience with my previous older Trafic I decided to also get caliper repair kits in case the pistons were badly pitted.
Anyway, got the hub puller and proceeded to remove the hub and disc.... Not sure if I broke something or not!! 馃 Does anybody know how the wheel bearing is supposed to sit? Is it supposed to: 1. remain on the hub, 2. stay in the bit still on the van, I think it might be called the strut, or 3. a bit on each??? I looked on autodoc at new ones and they appear to be a single entity!!! So I'm thinking I might have pulled it apart. 馃槥 Does anybody have experience of this? Will it press back together or is it shot? Haven't got the other side off yet as I broke the puller 3/4 of the way off!! Think will have to resort to big hammer to get the rest of the way off!!
Anyway, the hub/disc is exactly the same as the one Renoir White pictured in a post in May 2017.
Here are pics of the hub and strut thingy showing what part of bearing is where.
Automotive tire Tread Tire Synthetic rubber Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Tread Tire Synthetic rubber Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim
Any opinions welcome!!

Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Sorry to hear of this problem .. hopefully the experts will put you right. I think you refer to this pic? of the complete assembly

Automotive tire Wheel Saw Vehicle brake Locking hubs

My van failed it's MOT on seized front calipers, ....................................
Anyway, he suggested new pads and discs, from experience with my previous older Trafic I decided to also get caliper repair kits in case the pistons were badly pitted.
If the calipers are seized then why is he recommending changing just pads and discs (or are these shot too?) ..... seems you are taking the initiative to unseize the caliper pistons. I wouldn't be at all surprised if at least one of the pair of pistons in both calipers is solid if the van has been standing some time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have said to him I'd get caliper repair kits when he said they were seized and he just added that he would change pads and discs, I assumed, as well as. Loads of meat still on the pads but not worn evenly, , discs are well rusted, but what 27 year old discs aren't!! Anyway, caliper kits were 拢12 each plus 8.45 postage, found discs for 拢14 each, pads for a tenner, and a litre of fluid for less than a fiver, so seemed silly not to go the whole hog, made the costly carriage not seem so costly with more items of very heavy kit!!
Yes, one piston offside quite stuck, one piston nearside, very stuck, yet to get it out. The van has been stood a long while, hasn't seen the pub car park since before coronavirus!!

Registered
Bearing is knackered , you now need to remove the bearing carrier from the strut to replace it , the bearing half seen in 1st pic fits from driveshaft end and is held in with a large circlip ,
easier then to assemble disc etc as one unit before re-bolting to the strut , would suggest when doing other side remove whole unit from strut - easier to work on , also because of the hassle involved , i would replace that bearing too , hope this is of some help - -
( beg , steal or borrow a peter russek renault trafic pocket mechanic manual - all info on this procedure is in there )
Dave
Drawing Art Parallel Engineering Fluid

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, very helpful, thought I'd knackered it!
Got one of those already!
Why do you think this happened? Did I do something wrong??

Thanks for responding on this thread quickly OPB. I didn't know the answer on this one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also to note * don`t lose the spacer - the grey ring on the end of the hub , as in pic`s 3 & 4 - you need to refit this
I don't like to question someone with more experience than me 馃榿, But, are you sure that's the spacer still on the hub?? Looks like a spacer on the driveshaft side of what's left of the bearing still in the strut. 馃

I think between us RW , we can cover most things on these old vans
My idea of cover is to throw a big tarpaulin over them and go play with something else. :devilish:

Reactions: oldplumbob

Registered
I don't like to question someone with more experience than me 馃榿, But, are you sure that's the spacer still on the hub?? Looks like a spacer on the driveshaft side of what's left of the bearing still in the strut. 馃
Having a re-check i think you are right !! , my **** up...............:( (will amend the above advise) that will teach me to be a smart ****

1 - 14 of 14 Posts