Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I covered this in another thread but here goes:

My regulator went and I bought a new one on eBay for £60. Fitting it couldn't be simpler. I'll give you a step by step:
1. Disconnet battery.
2. Carefully prise off plastic A trim (on the inside where the mirror is.
3.Pry out the circular plastic cover in the door handle.
4. Using a torx drive (I think T15) unscrew the door handle screw and the two at the bottom of the door.
5.Using a panel lifter or flat bladed screw driver, carefully prise off the door card.
6. Feed the door handle through the card and disconnect the speaker, three window switch multiplugs and the courtesy light.
7. It looks a mess but its easy. The regulator is held in with 5 bolts. carefully loosen these and then reach up and edge the window down.
8. The window is held on two runners by blue plastic clips. These have a black clip on them. Carefully pull these off. You can now lift away the window. Support it in the door with a block of wood.
9. Unscrew the bolts fully, the pull the rear runner through the hole towards you, then the front.
10. Unscrew the motor and attatch it to the new regulator. Fitting is the reversal of removal. When you re-attatch the window switches, it may be jerky going to the top. Don't worry, once you get there it will work perfectly.

I did mine in 20 minutes having never done one before. total cost 60 quid! Good luck and have a go!:)

M

·
0 Posts
Window reg repair

It is also possible to get a reg with abroken cable repaired look on E bay it costs about £40 and there are also many mechs for sale as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just spend 40 mins saving myself over £200. Followed your instructions and job went easily. Just for info - door handle screw is T30, lower door screws are T15 .
Reg cost me £53 from Ebay

Thanks Goon !

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad it went well. Cheers for the dimensions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I covered this in another thread but here goes:

My regulator went and I bought a new one on eBay for £60. Fitting it couldn't be simpler. I'll give you a step by step:
1. Disconnet battery.
2. Carefully prise off plastic A trim (on the inside where the mirror is.
3.Pry out the circular plastic cover in the door handle.
4. Using a torx drive (I think T15) unscrew the door handle screw and the two at the bottom of the door.
5.Using a panel lifter or flat bladed screw driver, carefully prise off the door card.
6. Feed the door handle through the card and disconnect the speaker, three window switch multiplugs and the courtesy light.
7. It looks a mess but its easy. The regulator is held in with 5 bolts. carefully loosen these and then reach up and edge the window down.
8. The window is held on two runners by blue plastic clips. These have a black clip on them. Carefully pull these off. You can now lift away the window. Support it in the door with a block of wood.
9. Unscrew the bolts fully, the pull the rear runner through the hole towards you, then the front.
10. Unscrew the motor and attatch it to the new regulator. Fitting is the reversal of removal. When you re-attatch the window switches, it may be jerky going to the top. Don't worry, once you get there it will work perfectly.

I did mine in 20 minutes having never done one before. total cost 60 quid! Good luck and have a go!:)
hi my drivers window (laguna sports tourer 53 plate) has been squeaky for a while, then on holiday whilst on the motorway towing my caravan i went to adjust the mirror extension down came the windon but it would only move about an inch up. multiple tries but just the same. at the next services i tried all sorts pulling the window up moving it down. something gave! the motor runs ok but the window has come out of its fixing. i was able to manually push the window closed and there it has remained for the rest of the holiday. prior to stripping the door trim off as above any other tips/help, pointing me in the right diredtion would be greatfully received so i know what i'm getting into. if you know of a better more comprehensive guide to stripping the doortrim i would be greatful as the above seems just a little too simple. also is it really necessary to disconnect the battery? is the haynes manual any good and worth buying?
thanks in advance
kayal

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It really is that simple. I should know, I wrote it! Having done several since I did it, I can now do it in 10 minutes.

If you don't disconnect the battery you run the risk of shorting the system or worse still, injuring yourself. Its fundemental mechanical practice to disconnect the battery, if you choose to ignore it then on your head be it.

M

·
0 Posts
I agree the above description is all it takes to get the door card off it may be a bit fiddly as its stuck on with a plastic bead and requires you gently prise off the card the bead may stretch a bit and will need sticking back ont the card but that's all it takes. Also make sure you get the right type of mech for the door if buying a complete unit as ther are 2 types one with a 6 pin connector and one with a 2 pin. The other option is to buy just the mechanical part as inevitably it is the cable hat will have snapped and just swap the motor unit over.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It really is that simple. I should know, I wrote it! Having done several since I did it, I can now do it in 10 minutes.

If you don't disconnect the battery you run the risk of shorting the system or worse still, injuring yourself. Its fundemental mechanical practice to disconnect the battery, if you choose to ignore it then on your head be it.
thanks for the reply, i agree with you on disconnecting the battery, but being relative a new car for me and having read all the problems arising from disconnecting the battery, as you can understand i am a little bit on the nervy side. and yes i do have the radio code.
regards
kayal

M

·
0 Posts
mark1316
Take the door card off and see what's happening if the mech is the same as the lag it will have a wire cabe that moves the glass which may have snapped, otherwise it may be a metal "scissors" type which could mean the problem is a duff motor.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Checking mine you could clearly see (and hear) a snagged cable... but unsure about disconnecting the battery though :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Replaced both window regulators on my 2.2 dci Laguna 2 using the procedure above. I had no problems with disconnecting and reconnecting battery. As above - make sure you have the radio code if needed.
Go for it !
Keith

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I repaired the drivers window in my Laguna 2 at the weekend using a £2 bicycle brake cable and a piece of electric connector strip to secure the end without the nipple. I found that removing the plastic covering from the connector strip allowed it to lock in place, and I fitted a second connector behind it for extra strength. Sure it was a bit fiddly but a fair bit cheaper. There are 3 cables, only one was snapped, and the cable outer was fine.

I didn't disconnect the battery, and had no problems. Once the window was re-fitted I had to hold the window button in the closed position with the window up, to re-set it.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I repaired the drivers window in my Laguna 2 at the weekend using a £2 bicycle brake cable and a piece of electric connector strip to secure the end without the nipple. I found that removing the plastic covering from the connector strip allowed it to lock in place, and I fitted a second connector behind it for extra strength. Sure it was a bit fiddly but a fair bit cheaper. There are 3 cables, only one was snapped, and the cable outer was fine.

I didn't disconnect the battery, and had no problems. Once the window was re-fitted I had to hold the window button in the closed position with the window up, to re-set it.
Well, I didn't disconnect the battery to unplug the window and mirror switches but knowing my luck I'd short the ECU if I didn't with the window motor ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi mate,

I am having loads of bother with my drivers side window.
When I attempt to put ti down it seems to go fine.
When trying to get the window back up it goes up an inch and then down an inch repeatedly.
If I move it upwards in short motions I eventually get the window closed.
Though sometimes it refuses to go the final inch for about 10 minutes.

Does this sound like the regulator?

Paul

·
Registered
27 Posts
This worked for me - with thanks from WEBCODE

The One touch as lost its "memory"..
To reset it you must fully close all the windows..
Then pull the two front window switches up simulateously and hold them there for 3 or 4 seconds..

Job done..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks like i'm going to have to do this now:steam: . I had just replaced one of my xenon bulbs, and was feeling happy with myself. I reconnected the battery and reset the windows. I put the drivers window down to make sure they were reset properly. Bang!! :eek: I stopped it, then tried to close it. It went up slowly, and i had to give it a helping hand. the window felt loose(i could give it a wee shoogle). Got it closed alright, and there it has remained!!:( No more mcdonalds drive thru for me, unless i recline the drivers seat and use the back window:screwloose: !!
The window has been suspect for a while now. Any warm day we've had(not that we've had many), the window has screeched like hell. I tried using silicon lubricant, but it didn't make any difference. I take it that if it is the regulator, it will be a snapped cable? Anything else i should look for?

Never rains, but it pours!!

Regards
Craig

1 - 20 of 55 Posts