Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to change ball ends on steering rack NOT track rod ends and if so do you need a special tool.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,414 Posts
Inner tie rod they are called, yes they are possible to change,
The special tool is called an inner tie rod wrench, unless you plan on doing a lot, then an inner tie rod removal tool will suit you best

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My problem is that I have a Scenic 2007, no manual and everything seems 'different'. The tie rod ends have no means of doing them up with a spanner or a home made tool but my parts factors are sending me a special tool which they think will fit. Thanks for everyones help, hopefully I won't have to tell you I'm back to square one after the weekend!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
My problem is that I have a Scenic 2007, no manual and everything seems 'different'. The tie rod ends have no means of doing them up with a spanner or a home made tool but my parts factors are sending me a special tool which they think will fit. Thanks for everyones help, hopefully I won't have to tell you I'm back to square one after the weekend!!!!!
some have flats and you can get a crows foot style tool to fit

others are round and you use something that looks like a large slim ice cream cone, that works similar to a stud extractor and grips with internal jaws (this tool slides over the complete tie rod like a cv cone tool) and as you twist it by spanner it locks on and removes tie rod

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,980 Posts
On mine, which I assume is same as yours, the OEM tie rods were round.
I managed to grip with a plumbers basin wrench
http://www.screwfix.com/p/adjustable-basin-wrench/14631?kpid=14631&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping - Tools-_-Shopping - Tools&gclid=CJai9emw0coCFRITGwodrWUN8Q

But was touch and go which was going to let go first.

Replacement had flats so easy to do up.

If you are getting the proper tool, easy job, just count turns when you remove track rod end and replace to same number.
Will still need tracking but will be close.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts