Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahoy there!

I bought some LED spade connector and push/twist types for number plate/sidelight use in addition to Xenon types (without ballasts) for dipped/main beam for my Citroen C5. I now have a 2007 Series II Laguna GT Touring 205 and would like to know if others have fitted these types of bulbs, and if so, did they work, and if not, what issues occured?

On another matter, the plastic headlamps appear dull, and having scoured the interweb for info, I've found several methods with videos on YouTube which are:

1. Spray WD40 onto the lenses and wipe off.
2. Apply toothpaste, rub and rinse.
3. Using different grades of emery paper, wet the lenses and start rubbing with the course paper and keeping wet and working through to the first grit paper. Wipe off and thoroughly dry, then spray either clear lacquer or varnish to create a barrier (I assume this will require it to have UV protection).

Has anyone tried any of these methods or others, and what results did you achieve? Why Renault opted for plastic over glass makes no sense to me, and as the lenses are bonded, it'll be an expensive exercise unless there's a way to rejuvenate them.

Your thoughts, experiences and advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
There are some threads on here about lamp renovation.
The headlamp reflectors now do the beam shaping that the glass lenses used to do, so it makes no sense to have heavy, frangible glass when it's not necessary.
Some people put covers over them, presumably to prevent the deterioration due to sunlight, but it's obviously a matter of luck- our 2002 lenses are still perfect.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,482 Posts
the videos on UTube make it look easy when in fact it is a lot of hard work whichever way you choose, its not a 30 minute job, I tried it on my old car and after 4 hours it was no clearer, I thought at this rate I can have a pair delivered and fitted before this one gets to how I want it
the covers serve two purposes, the prevent UV penetration that dulls the plastic lens of the light and secondly protect the lens from stone damage

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Option 3 is best, buy a 3M kit, and as mentioned try utube for vids, only takes 4 hrs if you are weird like Vapulabis ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts