Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I've been hearing a loud knocking sound coming from the back of the car which at first I thought was the back box jumping around but after replacing the rubber bands (which were very loose) the exhaust is now firmly in place. The garage has now advised that the rear shocks need replacing but have quoted £160 all in!

Could anyone advise whether this is an easy DIY fix for a novice as I'm sure I could pick some up at a fairly reasonable price at GSF?

Trying to save on the pennies if poss..running two Scenics is a costly business!!

Cheers

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi there, rear shocks for your motor (Boge) are around £26.00 each + vat from GSF, I changed the rears on my Lag I a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if your motor has a torsion bar like mine, or springs. It took me about 2 hours to get the old ones off as the stub at the bottom of the old shocks had rusted in the mounting. In the end I had to pull the old shock from the stub leaving the old rubber bush on the stub which I then cut off, I drilled a hole through the stub and used a stainless steel extension piece from an old socket set and a hammer to finally get it free. On the bright side it only took 20 mins to put the new ones on after making sure the new stubs were well greased.
Regards Leroy

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Leroy I'll look into this tomorrow and report back on how I get on, it sounds like the toughness of the job depends on how badly the originals have corroded...if it gets a bit tough I may even buy the shocks from GSF and just get a mobile mechanic to fit..hopefully save a bit!

Cheers

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
No problem, if the old ones are really corroded it can be a bit of a bugger the get the stubs released, hope it goes well
Regards Leroy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts