Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my 2nd ever post :D . I have used the search function to go through the threads on the bonnet issues, but I've not found what I am after.

I have a Scenic mk 2 1.6 petrol VVT. My bonnet had a chip that went right down to the metal and since pressur washing it, it has now removed loads of paint and exposed the laquer underneath which is slowly going. So I found a 2nd hand bonnet of same colour on Ebay for £15, with another for £15 postage and packaging. Hopefully will be arriving today or tomorrow lol. I have also ordered a haynes manual from ebay too but whilst that is on the way I thought I'd ask for advice on here on HOW to actually REMOVE the bonnet. The bits that hold it in place look like they are popped in with a machine lol. The scrap yard must have got the one I ordered off so it must be possible to replace them? any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks and happy driving!

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,286 Posts
Glad you looked again...I couldn't work out what you meant.

Bonnets in general....
Two people job.... one to support/hold while the other gets the bolts out/in
Can be done one person carefully, balancing it on rear edge/bonnet support.... blanket at rear saves paintwork... but is a pain.
Remove the bonnet catch(s) before fitting... if bonnet offline can jam shut.
Pinch the bolts, trying to line up with existing witness marks on paint.... close gently...check shut lines (gaps) are even all the way round...adjust as needed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha thanks for the advice, yes I had only had a brief glance yesterday when I was looking at something else so decided to go and have a proper look and take some pics. Ok brill so I know to remove the catches and replace them after it is inline, and to do it carefullly. I think I'll try to find a mate to help too.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
HI

you may need a third person, bonnets are heavy things to hold. Have one person each side and a third to tighten / loosen the bolts.
Last time I fitted a hood (bonnet) it was on my mates Blazer, we held it one each side and my (then teen) daughter did the bolts for us.

Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts