Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if i would have any problems with an airbag light if i replaced my steering wheel. Because the one i was planning on replacing the standard one with doesnt have an airbag.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I think you would mate, the airbag has circuitry within it which when connected to the rest of the wiring completes the circuit. You would probably have to remove/disconnect the bulb in the dash for the airbag warning light. Unless there is a means of 'tricking' the system into believing there's still an airbag there.

Also, it would be adviseable to inform your insurers beforehand as this is a modification - they may not increase your premium (remember, you are increasing the risk/extent of injuries to the driver), but if you don't tell them, they can limit/refuse a claim.

It may seem like a lot of hassle (it is), so I hope the end justifies the means.

P.S. Keep the airbag/wheel for when you sell the car on.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
There is a way of tricking the system BUT I would only really recommend that if you replace the interior which has seat bags with something that doesn't have them.... and the only reason then to trick the system is so that the rest of the airbags will continue to work.

The airbag light being on means that any other airbags fitted to the car won't work (i.e. the passenger airbag / seat airbags) - it won't fail the MOT for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts