Independent Renault Forums banner

101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Change the button. They come out very easily.
Then it goes back to the garages parts and labour. Which is their problem due to poor fitting possibly?

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Change the button. They come out very easily.
Then it goes back to the garages parts and labour. Which is their problem due to poor fitting possibly?
I've been told a new switch is £85, thinking i'll grab a second hand one and fit that. I just think they'll say its still the switch. I'm not happy after spending over £900 to still have a brake fault show up on the dash!

·
Registered
53 Posts
For something like this I would def go thru 2nd hand.
Just unplug battery when doing it so it doesn't flag any tampering .
Get a receipt from this garage that is fully itemised.

Then stick your head under car and track it's all there, it' should be lovely n clean so easy to spot if not.
It is really obvious to see it all.
Even down to cables between junction box and calliper.
Any queries go back and ask why not but after you have receipt.
Tell them you need itemised receipt for your tax return

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Thanks I've got full receipts for the work, and even saw the old removed handbrake. just incredibly annoyed that it is still showing an error. I'll try and pop it along to them this week. (anyone got a handbrake switch I could pinch?! LOL)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
i plugged in the ebay renault clip today and cleared the stored handbrake fault and all is now well! no warnings on the dash about the parking brake!

well done to the local garage!

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,063 Posts
Well done :cool:

I guess the local garage didn't have a diagnostic machine that would do Renaults so decided to blame the handbrake switch....you should maybe go and see them and offer your services :d

I'm sure the clip you bought to sort the problem will come in handy in the future.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I've had the dreaded handbrake fault on my 08 grand scenic for nearly 2 months, it's the reason I joined the forum to see if I could find a way of clearing it from the dash without spending silly money at the dealers. I have found some useful information and tried many things. even found a friend who connected it to a bosch reader which cleared the fault for 3 weeks (cost me 2 bottles of wine) then the fault came back on.

the reason for my reply is I have come across a solution (completely by accident) which has worked on mine and won't cost a penny or too much fiddling around for you to try.

so I had another fault which got picked up on mot, my brake lights would only work when the lights were on. I started by looking at the earth points around the car and that's when I realised the fault had gone off the dash.

Okay so to clear fault your try this,
1/ use the procedure to turn on full ignition
2/ go to the battery, leave it all connected
3/ on the negative post there is 3 10mm nuts, take off the first one (furthest away from the car body) and move the main earth strap away.
4/ start to remove the nut nearest the bodywork (as you do this it should arch and you will hear a relay clicking). don't take it fully off.
5/ bolt it all back together and that's it.

I have done this twice now as after the first time I pulled the handle and the fault came on so I tried it again and the fault went. I have changed the handbrake switch as I thought it could be faulty and haven't had any problems or faults on the dash since.

sorry it's been such a long reply but I think its worth trying before spending any money on obd readers or Renault dealers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have been dealing with the park brake problem on my wife's Scenic. I have got it working again by replacing the Relay, but I suspect that the motor brushes will be the next thing to go.

I have been searching all over and trying to cross reference the numbers on the motor to find an equivalent, but so far without success.

I know a Johnson 540 motor was mentioned did anyone establish if this is a suitable replacement? I am finding that some Mercs and Range Rovers look to be fitted with very similar looking motors so I am looking at them too.

If I find a direct replacement I will post it up. Anyone got a motor out or an old unit to get the exact sizes or have the specs, to save me dismantling mine again? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solved!
I've had this problem twice where I can't pull away without manually releasing the handbrake by pulling the lever and pushing the button at the same time, when I put it in for an mot, it came back fixed, but I needed to re-enter my radio code, so I realised they've disconnected the battery to re-set the brake, so when my brakes started doing the lock all the time, I just took off the negative lead from the battery and it fixed it!
Remember to have your radio code though, hope this helps someone, as I hadn't seen this easy fix anywhere before.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,209 Posts
Solved!
I've had this problem twice where I can't pull away without manually releasing the handbrake by pulling the lever and pushing the button at the same time, when I put it in for an mot, it came back fixed, but I needed to re-enter my radio code, so I realised they've disconnected the battery to re-set the brake, so when my brakes started doing the lock all the time, I just took off the negative lead from the battery and it fixed it!
Remember to have your radio code though, hope this helps someone, as I hadn't seen this easy fix anywhere before.
Never heard of that either.
Usually when the parking brake fails to release automatically it is because one of the switches in the sequence isn't operating. Clutch switch often as it gets kicked on the pedal.
I assume you asked the MOT people to fix it prior to MOT as I've never heard of an MOT inspector disconnecting battery either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Mike12345,

I had the same problem on my Grand Scenic. And although I did manage to source some motors that would do the job, the problem was removing the brass gear from the old motor. Heating and freezing etc. did nothing. So I just bought a used parking brake module off Ebay and removed the motor.

I did find that when I swapped the motor, although it did work it would need resetting after about a day. I swapped the controller board from the used module and put it in mine and everything is now working fine.

BTW, the EPB module was from a standard scenic with just one cable instead of two that the Grand Scenic uses. But it worked fine and I did not have to reprogram the Unit as some people have said needs to be done.

Regards

Grant

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Im having problems with the electric handbrake, the yellow lever was pulled when a mechanic went to replace the back brake pads stupid i know, but he couldnt reset it or should i say didnt know how. Anyways he gave me it back and said sorry but this is what has happened and i dont know how to put it back, "i wont charge you for it tho" could of swung for the guy.

Anyways its a scenic 55 plate 1.5dci and i just cant seem to reset it, the whole thing was working before he pulled it, so im guessing everything works. any suggestions on how to reset this?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,038 Posts
Re-read the first page ,,,follow the instructions carefully ,if this does not work ,then pistons in the caliper need to be checked

·
Registered
43 Posts
My car has failed it's MOT because the handbrake was not working on one of the nearside wheel.

When I checked, the lever on the nearside wheel is being held forward even when the handbrake is off. I fitted new cables for the MOT one year ago.

My suspecion is that the cable is sticking? Am I right and how do I remedy this without having to buy new cables again?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,038 Posts
What was the footbrake reading , not always cables , could be the sliders to the caliper have seized up, but either way you will need to strip,,
Did it give any clues on the mot fail as to the issue,

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,209 Posts
Slacken handbrake and unclip the cable.
Does the lever return all the way to the stop.
If so, I'd suspect cables.

If not, return spring on arm or new caliper.
If external spring hooks are there, find and fit a spring.
If not, it's an internal spring.
AFAIK, that is a new caliper needed.

If it is a seized cable, flooding with oil, WD sometimes works but most modern cable have a plastic sheath on the inner cable. If that has picked up, it's a new cable.

As Ourkid says, maybe a red herring on the arm if the caliper isn't moving freely.
If foot brake reading are good, probably is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Slacken handbrake and unclip the cable.
Does the lever return all the way to the stop.
If so, I'd suspect cables.

If not, return spring on arm or new caliper.
If external spring hooks are there, find and fit a spring.
If not, it's an internal spring.
AFAIK, that is a new caliper needed.

If it is a seized cable, flooding with oil, WD sometimes works but most modern cable have a plastic sheath on the inner cable. If that has picked up, it's a new cable.

As Ourkid says, maybe a red herring on the arm if the caliper isn't moving freely.
If foot brake reading are good, probably is.
I removed the cable and found that it was a sticky cable that was causing the problem. I freed it up and re-fitted the cable and the handbrake now works, having re-set it. However, I cannot get the 'check parking brake' warning off the dash? Will the dash warning be enought for the car to fail the MOT?

Attachments

101 - 120 of 160 Posts