Independent Renault Forums banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
However, I cannot get the 'check parking brake' warning off the dash? Will the dash warning be enought for the car to fail the MOT?
Not sure re MOT. Re the Nag a diagnostic reset is required. Reno approx £75 :eek: A good indy, perhaps your MOT man might be as low as £25. Best find one that's Renault sympathetic, some ain't. One can only ask.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll probably get shouted at for hijacking thread, but, here goes...

I have a Renault Scenic (2008), which has developed a problem with the Electronic Parking Brake.....

It works fine manually, but will not operate automatically.

There is a message on dashboard saying "Check Parking Brake"

When you stop, put on brake manually and switch off engine then get message on dashboard telling you to lock the brake

My mechanic has tried two diagnostic computers and neither is able to get any information out of the parking brake control unit

Any ideas of likely problem would be most welcome!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll probably get shouted at for hijacking thread, but, here goes...

I have a Renault Scenic (2008), which has developed a problem with the Electronic Parking Brake.....

It works fine manually, but will not operate automatically.

There is a message on dashboard saying "Check Parking Brake"

When you stop, put on brake manually and switch off engine then get message on dashboard telling you to lock the brake

My mechanic has tried two diagnostic computers and neither is able to get any information out of the parking brake control unit

Any ideas of likely problem would be most welcome!
Does anyone know how to cancel the "Check Parking Brake" message without paying a lot of money. I have OPCOM and wonder could I use something like that?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, first of all sorry if i have posted this on wrong page. i am new to this.
I have recently developed a problem with my electronic parking brake. I had it replaced with a 2nd hand unit about 2 years ago and all was working great. Until a few months back when i had a seized caliper and it burnt out the motor(made a terrible grinding noise) in the replacement unit. My mechanic has sourced another 2nd hand unit however i have had problems with this one. When you parked on hills it started making a grinding noise. I took it back it was reset, greased and now when i put handbrake on its fine until I turn off engine and it tries to apply a bit more making a grinding noise again and flags up "parking brake fault" This then resets itself when you start the car again and it works again as it should whilst driving. Does anybody have any idea what is wrong with this or had similar symptoms? Is it just needing programmed differently? I dont know what the donor vehicle was so i'm just guessing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Does anyone know where this manual release lever is on a 2009 Laguna?
No problems, just wanted to know in case I'm out and the handbrake sticks

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
More Info which I found on this forum & elsewhere (Poland). IMHO easier to find Here. Clutch Switch Value Pin 1 to Pin 3 = 5200 Ohms +_ 520 Ohms. Part Number 8200110893
Blog of Car Workshop- United Kingdom: Renault Scenic II Parking Brake Failure
This includes a wiring diagram, which is invaluable if you get the Clutch switch nag (Check Parking Brake, which goes off for 30 secs, if one dips the clutch).

Attachments

Reactions: Dancingdad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. I've read in several threads about epb to manual conversion on grand scenic. I have 05 plate and it's epb packed up. I'm thinking of doing a conversion but don't have all the info. If anyone could answer these questions I'd be very thankful.
Can I use handbrake (manual) parts from 2002 scenic? Or does it have to be mk2 scenic?
Where do I buy the cables from?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi , i have checked the epb system , and in the reset process it works fine , for a short period (hours)and then the warning comes up again and the braking system is locked on ???, can anyone advise , because i would have to pull the yellow cable or undo everything and unscrew the cable out of the fitting ..any help appreciated...calipers working fine ...the calipers are locked up to the stops .

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
If the calipers are on the stops, it suggests that you need new pads. Have you released the handbrake, pressed the foot brake, to adjust them, then apply handbrake again.
What does your diagnostic say is wrong??

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,209 Posts
What do you mean please?
...the calipers are locked up to the stops .
If you mean the return stops and the caliper arms are against them when handbrake is off, that is the way it ought to be.

If anything else, sorry, I don't know what you mean.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have put new pads in , and it was fully released on the cables virtually on the return stops , i released everything tonight it locked on when parked up but didnt release on startup , had to pull yellow handle ...will post the codes later , could it be the clutch switch ???

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
It could be, but Doubtful. Clutch switch ---- Which One??
Two on the pedal & a position sensor too.
One on the brake.
I repeat, What does the diagnostic say???

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
ok just bought a 05 grand scenic with this parking brake fault (had new dash switch fitted by renault 2 year ago @ £294..) and check emissions / had new lambda 6 months ago. Renault wanted £109 + vat to diagnose + £700 for Hand/brake and the xx amount for lambda , bloke said nope.... - the car has 11.5 months mot!!

I paid £424 for it.. tried the way described on forum to clear brake message... failed.

tried my icarsoft907 for renault / dacia last night - ignition on ran a automatic scan found loads of problems / codes only cleared 1 of about 13 lol. left it had a think / read over night

today put car in diagnostic mode by keycard in leave pedals alone and press and hold for 5+ seconds start button till ignition comes on, apparently you have access up to 9 computer modules not the 4 in normal mode ( could be a load of B/S)

connected icarsoft 907 and ran MANUAL modules check on parking brake and cleared 5+ faults - then ran a manual check on ignition and cleared all faults - road tested car and rechecked all fault code gone!! result.

The reason I believe the car got these faults was 2 weeks ago Halfords fitted a new battery....

so as a alternative to the erm questionable renault can clip you can use a £74 icarsoft 907 dia tool to reset parking brake error message

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
Today put car in diagnostic mode by keycard in leave pedals alone and press and hold for 5+ seconds start button till ignition comes on, apparently you have access up to 9 computer modules not the 4 in normal mode ( could be a load of B/S)
SNIP
so as a alternative to the erm questionable renault can clip you can use a £74 icarsoft 907 dia tool to reset parking brake error message
It ain't BS the extra modules only come up when ignition is on, but some cannot be reset if the engine is running.
BTW this sequence doesn't work with a proximity keycard, UNLESS the card is put in the slot. I spent AGES trying to make this work, with the card in still in my pocket, coz that's how it usually works. :frown2:

Reactions: Nexxusone

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
what I cant understand is the £109 + vat for diagnostics from renault .. the bill broke down to £90 for switch and came to £294 inc labour + vat.... for a switch!!! thats costs £15 on ebay.... the invoice even invites owners to join 'The Club' and pay monthly to spread cost of service and repairs... this was 2 year ago

so he then asked how much to fix EPB again + other fault and renault quoted approx £1000 to £1200 to fix... so he refused and put car up spares or repair.

If he had asked me to put my code reader on and clear it i would been happy with £25 for read / clear and something for fuel as 50 mile round trip - but ended up buying it ... as the twin of my other scenic but better spec'd and he said he had 2 new tyres and battery put on by Halfords 2 weeks ago for MOT and then problems came up on dash.

in the end 30 mins with code reader and faults gone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi all , thanks for your help , it would seem in this case that the handbrake wont reset until all the codes are cleared off the system , as soon as i did this the car righted itself , brake on and off perfectly ....re the codes in the memory , i had that many i gave up writing them all down ,...so apologies to nottnoc i haven't got the codes , i would have reported back sooner but my code reader wouldnt work , tried a dodgy clip , eventually paid £15 at a garage.Thanks for your help guys

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
hi all , thanks for your help , it would seem in this case that the handbrake wont reset until all the codes are cleared off the system , as soon as i did this the car righted itself , brake on and off perfectly ....re the codes in the memory , i had that many i gave up writing them all down ,...so apologies to nottnoc i haven't got the codes , i would have reported back sooner but my code reader wouldnt work , tried a dodgy clip , eventually paid £15 at a garage.Thanks for your help guys
again ( and honestly I have no link to company..) the icarsoft 907 i bought 14-15 months ago for £79 on eBay has paid for itself several times - it also gives the DF0xx codes and item discription and location as per renault rather than generic po0xx codes that you have to look up in a book

121 - 140 of 160 Posts