Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,
For some reason the last thread stopped working so I was advised to start again. The latest news is that I was finally able to get a ride to another village where I was able to buy some Easystart fluid and got the Lag to start. It ran for about 30 seconds and died but it restarted. I let it run about 10 minutes revving the engine some - it ran fine. I shut it off and it would not restart. While it was running I looked for air bubbles in the fuel line and there were none. Before, I had noticed some air bubbles in the line from the filter to the pump. I removed the inlet and outlet lines from the filter and cleaned and lubricated the seals and surfaces and then bled the filter. Before when I was able to get it to start it would restart for the rest of the day with no problem. I am beginning to think the injection pump is going but it also acts like a problem of air in the fuel lines. I have never had the pleasure of experiencing a common rail pump failure so I don't know if it is common for them to become intermittent at first. I have ordered a iCarsoft RT-II to help me diagnose the problem. I will get back when I have more news. Thanks for the assistance :x
I don't know if I should move this discussion to the engines forum but I will see what the scanner shows me and get back hear at first.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I reposted this thread because for me and some other people page 3 does not come up making it impossible to continue the discussion. I was advised by one respected member to repost so here it is.
Papy

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,733 Posts
When you put your key card in and press the start button, then release.
How long before the engine starts to crank,?
Its not a daft question honest, so humour an old man!

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I know if I release the start button before it starts to crank it will not crank. While holding the button in it takes about 2 seconds if the car has been run and does not do a preheat check. I have driven Scenics that once you press the button it will crank even if you take your finger off the button. I always thought it was very unsafe but my car does not do it.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked my start button and I would say it starts cranking within 1 second and stops as soon as you release the button. Today I receive my iCarsoft RT II but it does not link to the computer:crying2:
So - I am back to the primitive diagnostic method - my aging brain helped by my aging eyes:|

I was hoping to see what the fuel rail pressure is while cranking. If I crack open an injector line I do get some fuel but from my understanding the computer shuts down the pump if there is a leak. Does anyone have a low tech method for checking the output of the injector pump? I suppose I could remove an injector and then connect to the fuel pipe and plug it in and crank to see if it is squirting fuel but something more simple would be nice. Cheers
Papy

·
37,733 Posts
Can I ask another question, when you put your keycard in half way, will your radio work..

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No the radio does not work with the card halfway in. The screen is not illuminated - it is as if the card was not there. Now I have a question. Are you suspecting the card reader because one thing I noticed when the car almost stalled one time was that the systems check that occurs when you start the car (tyre pressures and such) was activated. It was as if I had turned off the engine and restarted it.
Papy

·
37,733 Posts
There is a thread on here showing how to repair Key Card Readers,
It consists of Glue and a Cable Tie....
Hopefully a member better at using the Search Tab will help you..
Lots of clues show up when the start button is pressed and released..
As proper procedure by UCH to ECM is used..

Your diagnostic fuse is the one next to your diagnostic socket..
As not sure if your reader was connecting in any way to the system..
Have you been able to Force after ignition on, as in Car in Gear, feet off the pedals, and hold the Start button until the Dash lights up...

Make sure you press the Start Button twice when finished, as After ignition will be on for 1 hour..

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not sure if you (ours) have completely understood what I wrote about how things are when the card is in halfway. It has never since I owned the car ( 4 years ) had any response when the card was halfway in. It has always had to be completely pushed in to get any reaction. It has always only cranked the motor while I had the button depressed. Until this problem started 3 weeks ago it has never stalled and always started like a new car. Do you think that the symptom that I mentioned when the car almost stalled one time and initiated the systems check routine is significant?
Thanks for your attention,
Papy

·
37,733 Posts
Yes but you should not need to HOLD the button, so certain parts of the electrics
are not working..
When Its just pressed and released, your car when the button is working will give you some indications as in, is it fuel or heat..
If its heat it will stop on its own, and start to crank again, on its own..
Its narrowing down possible issues you have..
It will also be nice that when you take the key card out the interior lights come on for you, and the radio works correctly,
The micro switch inside the card reader activates another relay, this informs the UCH you have started to insert the key card....

It really helps having the key card reader working properly...

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I wil check more closely exactly how things are working and also look for the card reader threads. Thank you !
Papy

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello on another rainy day,
I took my card reader appart and sure enough the plastic tab for the acc switch is broken. I have glued it and am impatiently waiting for it to dry. As I said before nothing would happen with the card halfway in but when fully pushed in the lights on the instrument cluster and the screen would light up and the steering wheel would unlock. It would check for preheating and then indicate push to start. When holding the start button in the immobiliser light would go out and the engine would crank for about 10 seconds if I kept my finger on the button. To me it seems that the UCH is getting the signal it wants to turn off the immobiliser and unlock the steering and I would think it is also telling the ECU to go ahead and do it's thing - no? Therefore either the injection pump is not producing enough pressure or the injectors are not getting a signal to fire. I checked the solenoid on the pump - it is functioning - I checked the Hz and I forget what it was now but maybe 18,000 or so - at the time it corresponded to the frequency I had read for it. Does anyone have any ideas for how to narrow it down to one or the other? I will check the fuel filter for metal but it has always been extreamly clean with no water when I have changed it.
One detail I noticed pertaining to the card reader - I have always thought my Lag 2 was a 2004 ( that is what the previous owner had told me) but I just noticed on the registration that it was first registered in january of 2002. Are the starting card caracteristics of a 2002 different? Funny thing is the card reader has a 2004 manufacture date on it but it could have been replaced.
Once the card reader is ready I will try to fire it up again with the easystart and if it runs I will retry the iCarsoft RT II to see if it can connect. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Papy

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you "ours" - my card reader is working how you say it should work.:wink2: Unfortunately it still does not start.:frown2: It is raining too much to do more today. Wouldn't you know it, right now my garage is taken up with a friend's car that I am working on. More tomorrow.
Papy

·
37,733 Posts
Can you now, just press and release the start button.
See what happens..and report back..
Are you happy with your glow plugs.. ???? Still pointing to heat, more than fuel issue
These engines if a Fuel pump high pressure side fault, you should get an engine management light on after 3,000 or more rpm.
Wont be enough fuel pressure and injectors will struggle,..

Your

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good Day (I hope),
Yes it cranks now with just one quick jab at the button - I still think that it is unsafe like that because sometimes there might be a situation where some unforeseen event would make you want to stop cranking but I will live with it now. It is nice to be able to listen to the radio on acc and the courtesy light is especially nice.
I can't say I am happy with the glow plugs because I do not believe they have ever been activated. The preheat light has always come on for the first start of the day but goes out after 2 seconds or so and the car has always started fine. I have read that direct injection diesel only needs the glow plugs when the temperature drops below 10°F or so. I would really be happy if it would start!!! I will fire it up with easystart today and go from there.
Papy

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hello again,
I hope I have not been too boring with all my dribble. Anyway - the last bit of info that ours2012 wrote was what I was looking for.:wink2:
I easystarted the Lag today with quite a bit of difficulty but after it finally would run without dying and letting it warm up a bit I revved it up to 3,500 RPM and held it there a while and I got the message that the injection system was malfunctioning. I tried it a few times with the same result. Seems the injection pump is BAD. I ordered a rebuilt pump because I figure the car is too old to warrant a new one. It has a two year guarantee so Ok. I checked the fuel filter and everything is clean without a trace of metal. In a couple of days I will know if things are good.
Thank you ours2012 for your continued advice.:x:x
Papy

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
An update and finish to this story,
I replaced the injection pump with a bosch rebuilt. It started right up and sounded good. Later I started it again but it cranked a little longer than I would have expected but figured maybe a little air in the lines because I had not driven it yet since it was still up on stands. The next morning it would not start without easy start. After starting it ran much smoother and quieter than before but the next morning it would not start. I swapted the crank position sensor and all is well !!! It seems it had two problems at once - very rare in my experience. Anyway - it runs great. Thanks to all who answered.
Papy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts