Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this issue on my welcome thread - but as I now am up to 20 or so threads seems unfair to go in the welcome bit. I will copy and paste the relevant stuff. I have laguna 2.0 rt 1994 - so bought new light stalk with fog light switch. problem is
on dipped beam, the outer 2 bulbs each side of the car light. If i flash without clicking to main beam the outer two bulbs stay lit, the inner two bulbs light to flash. As soon as I click the switch for full beam, the outer two bulbs go out and the inner two bulbs light. With my old switch on main beam all 4 bulbs lit.
Lagdti kindly replied
I think the switch you have is for a car that uses the same bulb for dip and main beam.When you flash the headlights both bulb filaments light,and when you click for main beam the dip beam goes out so as not to overload/melt the bulb.This is exactly what yours is doing
I have checked with mulimeter, and the switch is operating as described above - so I assume it is wrong for my 4 bulb car. My question then is does anyone know the part number to quote to make sure I get the correct switch next time (the seller told me it was from a M laguna like mine). I can only find one number on each stalk - my original (without fog light switch ) has 36716A 31 H4 on it and the other with fog switch has 36841A 13 H7 on it. Do they look like renault part numbers?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Time to resurrect this one!
I have just aquired the correct switch and fitted it. Headlights - main and dipped, indicators and rear fog lights all working as should.
I have fitted a relay in the relay holders (in slot 10) and turned on the front fogs - not a glimmer of light!
Tested and there is no voltage at the lights connector - any ideas where to go from here????

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Are the lights seperately fused?(may have fuse missing...)

Do you have a permanent 12volt feed(from ignition) to the relay and a switchable feed(from switch) to it?

You need 3 things to get a feed from a relay.An earth,a switchable feed and a permanent feed.The feed out will occur if you have all of these and they're wired to the correct terminals......

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lagdti said:
Are the lights seperately fused?(may have fuse missing...)

Do you have a permanent 12volt feed(from ignition) to the relay and a switchable feed(from switch) to it?

You need 3 things to get a feed from a relay.An earth,a switchable feed and a permanent feed.The feed out will occur if you have all of these and they're wired to the correct terminals......
Er - yes - definitely - maybe ???:confused:
What I know is
1 They are seperately fused and there is an intact fuse in the correct place in the fuse box.
2 the light stalk I put in connects a 'before ignition +ve terminal' (the same one which supplies power to the sidelights) to the front fog light terminal.
3 There was a space in the relay board where the front fog light relay should go - I bought a standard vehicle 5 pin relay (coz there were 5 holed to plug into) and plugged it in.

I assumed that as the relay board was sitting there with a gap to take the relay everything would be in place . I can get to the 'plug in' surface of the board, but not sure how to test to see if I have the requisite permanent feed / earth - (presumably the switchable feed comes from my light stalk).
The terminals on the relay were labelled (memory here) something like 30, 30a, 86, 85 and something else (can check if needs be) - I have a mulitimeter and don't mind poking about a bit - if I plug the relay in a bit and test the terminals for voltage - would this help?

Sorry its always so long winded with me - but like to give as much info as poss.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Don't apologise for the long post!.If everyone went into detail like you it would make our job a lot easier.....

Is there actually 5 connections for the relay?.There may be 5 holes for the relay to fit into,but only 4 connections.Take a 4 pin relay from elsewhere and try it.If not,get back to us and I'll try and explain how to test the feeds/earths.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Just a thought,tell me to F off if you want,but....

There are bulbs in the foglights you've fitted,aren't there....?

(Don't think I'm being insulting,but it would be the sort of thing I'd do....:eek: )

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lagdti said:
Just a thought,tell me to F off if you want,but....

There are bulbs in the foglights you've fitted,aren't there....?

(Don't think I'm being insulting,but it would be the sort of thing I'd do....:eek: )
LMFAO
yes there are bulbs - and a continuity test shows the elements are ok - but you are right - I havent actually seen them lit. Will put 12v across them sometime - when the rain stops heaving down.
I will also try a 4 post relay - I bought one first but then as there were 5 holes took it back and changed it - can I just take one from another slot to try it?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lagdti said:
Yep,as long as it's not an important one(headlights etc..)

Good luck
Won't be today - but I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for all the help - I am so pleased I happened to find tis place!
PS - haven't had the chance to test the map sensor stuff yet - but will do sometime!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sorry to be a pain - me again. Tried to put one of the 4 pin relays from the board (they are purple) into the socket for fog lights. The pins are too big!

PS - just deleted the diagrams - think they are copyright and as such Iwas breaking the rules - sorry!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lagdti said:
Is there actually 5 connections for the relay?.There may be 5 holes for the relay to fit into,but only 4 connections.Take a 4 pin relay from elsewhere and try it.If not,get back to us and I'll try and explain how to test the feeds/earths.
Hello again. Bought a 4 pin relay from motor world (£3.95 as opposed to £17 quoted by renault garage!!). plugged it in OK - and guess what . . . .

No fog lights still!!.
I guess its a good time if you can to try and explain how to test the relay stuff please?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lagdti said:
Take a 4 pin relay from elsewhere and try it.If not,get back to us and I'll try and explain how to test the feeds/earths.
Right - time to try again as I have a little more time on my hands - so lets see if we can ressurect this thread -

At some stage please lagdti could you please explain how I can test the feeds etc - I have and can use a multimeter -

I suppose a problem may be that I have simply assumed that because I found wires with connectors which fit exactly the lamp in the right kind of area just hanging there (I did have to lengthen one - a dab hand with a sodering iron) I assumed that these were the prewired connectors - maybe I should try and wire in lamps from scratch?

I still need the relay to be working (I assume this would make the dashboard warning light light when they are on too?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK OK I've not been on for ages - but thought you might be interested in an update to this issue - last week MOT due so I happened to mention to my local renault dealer can he see if he can get some light from the fog lights - so - car in Friday 8am - passed MOT by 11.00am. I called at 12ish and was asked to call back about 3pm because the lights are a bit tricky. Called back and asked to try again at 5pm - apparently they had taken a feed and got power to the lights, but not the dash or relay board. At 5pm they could get the dash light and switch working OR the lights but not both. At 7pm it was - can you try at about 10 tomorrow.

Saturday now - called in at 10 - car still bonnet up - wing off - looking for a multiblock because the connectors we had all assumed to be for the lights were now deemed to be for sensore which detect if the bonnet is up (not fitted on my model).
After racking of brains, mechanic remembered a wiring loom always came with the kit to go across the front of car - so once this block was found - should be sorted.
Rang back at 1pm - lights work, but now no earth on relay board -
Finally at 3.30pm on saturday it was ready.

I haven't had the bill yet but my final parting words were 'thanks for getting them working, but I hope I am not going to have the most expensive fogs ever!!!'

I don't think - even with all your help - I would ever have sorted this one out.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I know it's difficult to get wires through the bulkhead on the Lag, but I'd be inclined to just meter out the new switch, find the fog light output, and wire the rest of it myself. Trying to use the existing wiring just sounds like a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Horatio - in hidsight and retrospect - that would be the way to go I think - but now its all done everything is sound.
picked up the bill today - I suppose its not that bad considering -
FUll MOT, remedial work like track rod end one side, new number plate, couple of bulbs, oh and the climate control unit illumination had gone too - so that had to come out - along with the fogs - labour cost £183.
Not bad to say it was in the workshop all day friday AND saturdy - from about 11.30 - 3.30 saturday mine was the ONLY car left in the workshop - and there were 3 guys on it for a lot of the time!!!

It became a kind of personal challenge to make them work lol

Ian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts