Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP PLEASE!!!

I have a 51 plate renault clio dynamique and i am being driven to distraction with it. About 8 weeks ago the rev counter started going a bit wonky it would drop to zero when i was driving along and then seconds later the temp guage would do exactly the same. They kept dancing up and down... totally erratic. After a few days of that happening the car wouldnt start, it would turn over but not connect through to the engine.. at least that what it felt like.

Anyway took it into my local renault garage and they said they checked all the conections etc and cleaned everything up. things were ok for 2 weeks and for the past 6 weeks i've had the same trouble, an erratic rev and temp guage and the car starting intermittantly.

Renault keep saying they cant find the fault becuase it doenst do it with them when i take it in...

nightmare!!

Can anyone help.... please ????

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive a 2002 Clio 1.4. Some months ago I experianced the same problem that the rev counter and fuel gauge does not work. Additional to this the vehicle would jerk when pulling away and the idling started to become very rough. After a couple visits to the dealer they replaced the coils on the spark plugs. According to them the coils and the spark plugs form a intergral part of the electronics and when the resistance is incorrect, it messes up the electronics.

I later started experianceing that the vehicle would immobilise itself when driving and then when you try and start again it would be dead. Also after many attempts I had the UCH computer replaced, one behind glove box. Unfortunatelly after this the original problem of the rev counter, temp gauge and jerking resurfaced.

The vehicle is currently at the dealer and they have to replace the "trottle box", whatever this does, to sort out the idling problem. They have also replaced the spark plugs. Will have to wait to see if this is going to be successful. Costing me an arm and a leg on repairs at the moment.

Suggest you start with the spark plugs, cheapeast to replace, and then look at the coils on the spark plugs. They dont recommend you replace them individually but in pairs or all four at once.

Dennis (South Africa)

S

·
0 Posts
Most likely fault is a damaged earth strap, check all the earth straps under the bonnet for signs of wear/damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good day, Sorry for bumping this up again but I struggle with the same issue. Rev counter and heat gage went down and now the car wont start.

2003 Clio 2 1.4 16valve essential

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,841 Posts
As in SpaRky post check any earths are good clean and tight especially
the earth strap that goes from body to gearbox likely under the left front of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As in SpaRky post check any earths are good clean and tight especially
the earth strap that goes from body to gearbox likely under the left front of the car.
Thanks I will do.
On my way to work ths morning the rev counter and heat gauge dropped. I stopped at work and switched it off, lunch time I tried to start it with no success. I dont hear the fuel pump coming on.

·
7,841 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere and the earths
are a good place to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere and the earths
are a good place to start.
reset computer and all good ... but ... I will search for the earth problem. When I indicate to left or right and my headlights are on the "light defog" little red light on the dash, left bottom below the head lights little light comes on but not bright. So there is a short or earth issue.

Thanks for the info.

·
7,841 Posts
Sounds like earth the if the power cant find a good earth it will use
the next easiest path and if that's trough another circuit or bulb
that's the way it goes powering that circuit at a reduced voltage
on the way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had similar problems and the autoelectrician diagnosed a faulty throttle body as the symptoms were rev counter going down and erratic starting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
HI
I got a second hand throttle body and changed it, simple as its only 4 bolts, however on start up back to square one still not going

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had similar problems on my 05 clio 1.2 16v. Autoelectrician diagnosed faults coming from the throttle body. He wiped the codes but the problem came back after a couple of months, so would try there first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2010 Renault Clio 1.2 how started having issues with the rev counter jumping up an down - mainly on a cold start and when idling in traffic. It also sounds/feels as though it's going to stall when pulling away, unless I rev harder. I see from the above thread that this isn't an uncommon issue! Has anyone successfully resolved the problems without spending a small fortune?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts