Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your a heavy smoker does it help if you move to a green location on the map ?

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
I moved from an average area to a low, but more people smoke here than in the average area:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I moved from an average area to a low, but more people smoke here than in the average area:confused:
Might do - in a high risk area the hospital will be swamped with people with illnesses but in a green one you might be able to get a bed & decent care...

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Also read in paper that smokers cost the NHS 1.5billion a year but raise 8 billion in taxes on ciggies , so if they all give up then I guess everyones tax will increase

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to say what is the true figure of the health costs for smokers is.

Yeah cig taxes are a source of revenue which would be sorely missed by the Government.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hard to say what is the true figure of the health costs for smokers is.

Yeah cig taxes are a source of revenue which would be sorely missed by the Government.
Dont forget all the disability benefit people who can no longer work because of their illness - that adds to the NHS figure. Also people dying earlier means they are not able to contribute to the economy. THe numbers get very complicated - what pricedo you put on human suffering?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
over the 20 or 30 years the situation should balance out and tax will be gained from other sources eg. Mot tests which are exempt at the moment.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Too much time on my hands

Maybe I've looked into this this a little bit too much but, if you cross reference this map with any showing the waterways of Britain (Canals and Rivers) it appears that the high admissions area's also coincide with those area's, apart from Birmingham, that have a high volumn of waterways. Is that bizarre or just coincidence:confused: . Maybe it has nothing to do with smoking but rivers instead:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Maybe I've looked into this this a little bit too much but, if you cross reference this map with any showing the waterways of Britain (Canals and Rivers) it appears that the high admissions area's also coincide with those area's, apart from Birmingham, that have a high volumn of waterways. Is that bizarre or just coincidence:confused: . Maybe it has nothing to do with smoking but rivers instead:rolleyes:
You're pretty much spot on with levels of social deprivation in certain parts of the country. Generally people working in unskilled industrial organisations (miners, dockers etc) with poor pay are more likely to suffer from the effects of smoking.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
You're pretty much spot on with levels of social deprivation in certain parts of the country. Generally people working in unskilled industrial organisations (miners, dockers etc) with poor pay are more likely to suffer from the effects of smoking.
There is a very high level of people on benefits in the area I live in, used to be a mining area and is deprived compared to other areas, however, a lot of the people on benefits here chose to be like that rather than work, the Job centre does not even deal with jobs, if you go in there all they want to know is what benefit you want to claim, totally wrong:mad: so you may give up smoking yourself but still end up paying for someone elses fags:mad:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Weird Scatz !!!!

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
At end of day is no good place to be a smoker, will still kill you and others wherever you do it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts