1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

looking for some advice,

reverse lights stopped working a while ago,

I have checked 10 amp fuses under bonnet, I have checked bulbs, and I have just tried plugging in a separate new reverse switch all to no avail

57 plate grand scenic 2 1.6

is there anything else I could try or any advice would be much appreciated

many thanks

·
Super mod..
29,873 Posts
Check for power going to the lights and also for bad earths and signs of corrosion on the bulb holders.. also double check that the bulbs are actually blown its not unheard of that the owner thinks they are ok when they are not..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check for power going to the lights and also for bad earths and signs of corrosion on the bulb holders.. also double check that the bulbs are actually blown its not unheard of that the owner thinks they are ok when they are not..
Thanks for your response I have a new set of bulbs being delivered today as also thought the same,

what is the best way to check if lights have power?

·
Super mod..
29,873 Posts
Thanks for your response I have a new set of bulbs being delivered today as also thought the same,

what is the best way to check if lights have power?

Hi you need a test light to check for power at the lamp holder connections.. if you dont have one then check out you tube on how to make one up..

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
36,942 Posts
Reverse switch on the gearbox been checked here
VERY rare both bulbs will go on the Reverse Line of cars,

Would be getting at reverse switch
Its either just above passenger side drive shaft, or on top of the box, or on the side of the gearbox from under passenger wing

( Only 3 places I know of for reverse switch on a scenic , might be more places )

·
Super mod..
29,873 Posts
Reverse switch on the gearbox been checked here
VERY rare both bulbs will go on the Reverse Line of cars,

Would be getting at reverse switch
Its either just above passenger side drive shaft, or on top of the box, or on the side of the gearbox from under passenger wing

( Only 3 places I know of for reverse switch on a scenic , might be more places )
Read the OP first post Stu he says he rigged up a temp new reverse switch..

OP said..and I have just tried plugging in a separate new reverse switch all to no avail

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
36,942 Posts
OOPS missed that

Dont these work with plunger OUT not in

Has he tried that,

( Brain is still asleep here, get passenger storage box out, look under there and cry )

That Plug for all the back end is under there, and that area, and suffers with water damage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies both,

just fitted new bulbs still no luck,

tried slaving reverse switch again with brand new one still no luck

swapped 10 amp fuse just to be sure,

just watching video on how to make test switch to test for power

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
@DaZzZzA
Do you have a testmeter (multimeter)?
Also the reversing switch might rely on being screwed into the chassis (not sure what temporary means in relation to the switch, could have been hanging in mid air?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@DaZzZzA
Do you have a testmeter (multimeter)?
Also the reversing switch might rely on being screwed into the chassis (not sure what temporary means in relation to the switch, could have been hanging in mid air?)
Thanks for the reply

yeah I have a multimeter,

And as for the switch yeah I did exactly that just unplugged cable and plugged straight into new switch in mid air then pushed button in / out multiple times ( had seen a video on YouTube saying this was quick way to test)

many thanks

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
rethink, depends how it's wired, assuming it's straightforward and no relay involved, it may not need to be connected to chassis if it has 2 wires one will most likely go to 12V permanently. One of those contacts should measure 12V with your meter set to DC volts, black meter wire connected to chassis, the other will switch 12v or nothing depending on switch position.
Try it with ignition on. Check the connector looks secure and not corroded.
If it's wired like this- example from a different car (if it's auto all bets are off)
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Slope

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rethink, depends how it's wired, assuming it's straightforward and no relay involved, it may not need to be connected to chassis if it has 2 wires one will most likely go to 12V permanently. One of those contacts should measure 12V with your meter set to DC volts, black meter wire connected to chassis, the other will switch 12v or nothing depending on switch position.
Try it with ignition on. Check the connector looks secure and not corroded.
If it's wired like this- example from a different car (if it's auto all bets are off)
View attachment 193945
Many thanks for this detailed response

it is manual

will give what you have suggested a try and feedback

thanks again much appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many thanks for this detailed response

it is manual

will give what you have suggested a try and feedback

thanks again much appreciated
Just for clarity guys the car is now fixed

thanks for all your support

it was indeed the switch once replaced it and mounted in to car

engine on and it is fully operational thanks for your advise 👍🏻

·
Registered
3 Posts
Read the OP first post Stu he says he rigged up a temp new reverse switch..

OP said..and I have just tried plugging in a separate new reverse switch all to no avail
The selector on the geer box mybe check that. In my car that was the problem as my reservoir blows up and got it all wet Sean's then it stop working

1 - 15 of 15 Posts