Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought the car and serviced it myself using genuine Renault items.

The oil the dealer sold me (and which I've added) is Elf RN Tech Evolution 5w30. The original handbook (and Haynes manual) advises 10w40. The dealer said this thinner oil is fine "it's what we use these days".

Is the 5w 30 synthetic oil really suitable for these engines? Just after a second opinion.

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
22,630 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - but this has confused me even more. 10w40 is mentioned, but then the Castrol oil chooser website comes up with 0w30!

What I've used is C4 / RN0720 spec (for engines with DPFs), when I think B4 is recommended for this car.

The Elf website lists many different oils - EVOLUTION 700 TURBO DIESEL10W-40 or EVOLUTION 900 FT 5W-40 or EVOLUTION 900 NF 5W-40......

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,602 Posts
Not a definitive answer but may be some consolation.
It is a right nightmare.

3 cars in my household that I was checking oil specs for.
Kia Picanto 1.0 petrol
Kia Sedona 2.9 CDi Diseasal
Qashqai 1.6 petrol
Handbooks give me 5w20, 10w30 5w30 respectively, different ASEA/API grades for each.
Halfords (who I always used to trust on oil specs..used to) give 5w30 for all, Ford Spec, GM/Peugeot Spec and Castrol Edge respectively.
Other supplier sites give similar.
Opie Oils at least get the handbook grades right but are still insisting on a low SAPs oil for the Sedona.
Why? It hasn't got a DPF to protect and the handbook doesn't ask for one?
After that, add in makes.
What justifies say Castrol Edge being £51 for 4 litres when I can get a "no name" (MPM from my local spares place) of seemingly correct grade and spec for under 30 quid for 5 litres?

I use rule of thumb and common sense. My opinion only.
If you can get what is in the manual, at least as far as grade and ASEA ratings, do so.
But I ain't fussed if it is Elf or MPM and will choose on price.
Understanding the basic grade info is a must. 5w, 10w etc refers to the viscosity when cold.
30, 40 etc at the end refers to viscosity at running temperature.
In both cases, the higher the number, the thicker the oil.
Putting a thicker oil in then spec is a no-no, if the book says 5w30, you do not put in a 10w30, especially if critical components like a turbo that require full oil flow from cold. Similar with a 5w40 when the book says 5w30.
A thinner oil when cold is not a major problem, when hot a 5w30 is the same as a 10w30, just thinner when cold so should get to where it should be quicker.
A thinner oil when hot, less happy with this, oil pressure relies on the viscosity, pump, clearances in the engine, if it is thinner, it is more likely to find the easy route which could rob other parts of oil.
ASEA/API ratings, what is in the book, some are critical like SAP content being low for diseasals with DPFs, others may have been superseded, A2/B2 is now obsolete, A5/B5 is the new and "improved" standard., C2 is A4/B4 (IIRC) for diesals etc etc. Research and common sense applies.
Maker's spec? That I do not understand beyond that the car maker has defined a spec and oil that conforms matches that. But what is the difference between a 5w30 Ford and a 5w30 GM spec ????
Does no harm to put a fully synth oil into an older semi synth engine, would not go the other way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use rule of thumb and common sense. My opinion only.
With that in mind, have done some research this afternoon. Looks like the 'right' for my engine is ELF Evolution 900 SXR 5w40. Suitable for turbodiesel and non-DPF units like mine, it has the RN0710 spec that's for this combination.

What's in the car is to the RN0720 spec for cars with DPFs and is 5w30. Most of the 'oil finder' sites recommend 5w40, so I guess it needs to be a 40 weight oil in there for starters, so after 1000 miles I'm going to replace it with a 40.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,602 Posts
What's in the car is to the RN0720 spec for cars with DPFs and is 5w30. Most of the 'oil finder' sites recommend 5w40, so I guess it needs to be a 40 weight oil in there for starters, so after 1000 miles I'm going to replace it with a 40.
Can't argue against.
There may be no need, what is in may be fine in both long and short term.
But that it is thinner at running temp may have a detrimental effect on items that may not get the right oil to them.
As I said earlier, if you follow what is in the handbook, difficult to see how you can be wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If both the handbook and Haynes manual suggest 10w40, use it
Haynes says 10w40, but I wasn't accurate about the Renault owners handbook. That doesn't specify any particular grade - all it ocntains is a temperature chart, listing 5w30 and 40 right up to 10w40 and 50.

I've ordered some Elf Evolution 900 SXR 5w40 oil, which is the right spec and is for turbo, but non DPF cars like mine. My DCI Clio was one of the very first, and at the time it seems Renault did specify 10w40, but later revised this to 5w oils due to problems with sticking piston rings and sluding of the turbo / DPF.

I don't think my 5w30 would have caused any real damage to the engine, but as I do a lot of motorway runs (and 40 rather than 30 does seem to be the most quoted), I think moving to a slightly thicker 40 would be better.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
It just shows how something as simple as oil can become confusing with all the conflicting information that's out there. I hope the ELF oil serves you well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts