Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
21,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of those renault key card holders that allows it to be attached to your other keys (its a plastic clip that goes over the end of the keycard and two elastic bands to keep it tight and a hole for the keyring bit.

Well, I broke mine, and looked on fleabay for a new one. I found some that started at a penny, but soon got outbid to £1.20 (minus the £1.50 for postage !! :steam: , so I looked around a bit and found out that people are bidding up up a fiver for them. There was a buy it now for £2.90 which is what I payed for it before, which I nearly went for

Anyways, I rang my local renault stealer and to my shock and surprise was told they are only £1 each, so I ordered two !

So you see, dont always assume ebay is cheaper, someone is always trying to make a fast buck :)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I always check prices before buying anything on ebay.

I have used the keyring/clips before and would not recommend them as they are very fragile.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Keycard attachment

The problem I find with the keycard is there is no way of attaching anything to personalise it as many motorists do with their car keys. Usually keys in our house have large bright coloured tags so they can be easily found. I was considering getting one of those whistle and beep keyring attachments so it could be easily found. I was considering drilling a small hole in the emergency key and attaching it that way. Is my idea daft and would it cause any problems. Comments would be greatly welcomed.:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi Noel,

On the Scenic II cards they already have a hole, If you could also reinforce the hole somehow with a grommet at each side I don't see why a hole could not be drilled, Will the card still sit in the reader if a ring is attached.

Why not get one of the wallets that are available for holding the keycards and fit a keyring attachment to that.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Otto - my keycard has a small square hole that goes inside the card reader and acts as a lock so the card cannot be removed when the engine is running - I'm not sure if this applies to other cards though. Surely if I had a wallet would it not meant taking the keycard out each time I use it - sort of defeats the purpose really - yeh honey I've found your wallet but it's empty - now I wonder where I've heard that before:rofl:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi Otto - my keycard has a small square hole that goes inside the card reader and acts as a lock so the card cannot be removed when the engine is running - I'm not sure if this applies to other cards though. Surely if I had a wallet would it not meant taking the keycard out each time I use it - sort of defeats the purpose really - yeh honey I've found your wallet but it's empty - now I wonder where I've heard that before:rofl:

:d
Yeah me too Noel,

Sorry I presumed you had the hands free option Noel.

Where my card never leaves my pocket ( Wallet never leaves my pocket either, no jokes about tight Scotsmen please :p )

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Otto - in all my travels throuh the UK mainland - I've always found the scot to be the most generous - must be all that Celtic blood - just like the irish. I'm not so sure I could say the same for the rest of the mainland though.:d

·
Registered
72 Posts
The problem I find with the keycard is there is no way of attaching anything to personalise it as many motorists do with their car keys. Usually keys in our house have large bright coloured tags so they can be easily found.
I'm just the opposite, I will never put anything on my keyring that will identify either me, the car, or the house.

·
Administrator
21,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ottoman

I realise the keycard holders are fragile, but I like my car key with my house keys, that way its less the loose (although if the loose the keys I loose access to my car and the house ! :crazy: )

I was contemplating drilling a hole in the key card too, on the main card to the bottom left of where the emergency key goes in - does anyone know if there is any reason why I should'nt.

I thought the handfree option wasn't allowed by UK insurers anyway ? Or have they changed tact.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Ebay is still bargain for me

I have one of those renault key card holders that allows it to be attached to your other keys (its a plastic clip that goes over the end of the keycard and two elastic bands to keep it tight and a hole for the keyring bit.

Well, I broke mine, and looked on fleabay for a new one. I found some that started at a penny, but soon got outbid to £1.20 (minus the £1.50 for postage !! :steam: , so I looked around a bit and found out that people are bidding up up a fiver for them. There was a buy it now for £2.90 which is what I payed for it before, which I nearly went for

Anyways, I rang my local renault stealer and to my shock and surprise was told they are only £1 each, so I ordered two !

So you see, dont always assume ebay is cheaper, someone is always trying to make a fast buck :)

I paid the £2.90 (delivered) for mine but since my nearest dealer is a 25mile round trip paying a pound to the dealer plus half a gallon of diesel doesn't seem like a bargain to me!

Len

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Dave - personally i would be very apprehensive about drilling a hole in the keycard itself - I was thinking of drilling a hole in the corner of the emergency key only. I was wanting to attach a big bright fob or something so you could find it if you dropped it in the dark or on those cold winter mornings when you are half asleep. I used to work around motor cruisers and we all had big round orange doughnuts attached so they would float. We never had any problem finding them.:d

·
Administrator
21,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Len,

Good point well made. Im suppose Im lucky that I have a renault dealer not only about 1 mile up the road from where I live but also about a mile from where I work too.

Certainly wouldnt want to travel 25 miles to pick up a £1 peice of plastic when it can be bought for under £3 off ebay.

Point is theres people bidding up to £6 on ebay for the same thing, when combined with the postage that gets charged, works out very dear indeed. If people actually did a bit more research before diving in eh ! (mind you, cant say Im immune to that though)

·
Administrator
21,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Madnoel,

I agree, Im a bit unsure whether to do it or not. Might just stick with the keyring keycard holders for now - its safer - £1 for a new one is nothing in comparision to the price of a new keycard and programming for the dealer !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts