Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did anyone happen to watch the new series of Road Wars last night? Amongst the scum appearing on the "show" was a woman pulled for driving a car with:

1. Smashed headlamp
2. Missing filler cap
3. Blown brake light

When stopped her they discovered that she had:

1. No insurance
2. No driving license

When they looked in the car they noticed:

1. That she had a toddler in the car wearing just a nappy and not in a car seat or restrained by a seatbelt

They told her to leave the car and get it sorted

Within 15 minutes they spotted her again in a different car with the same unrestrained child

So, this time, they...

...sent her on her way again and told her not to drive :steam:

Are the Police bloody stupid? In the end she was banned from driving! Well - that certainly told her. I got pulled by a copper a few months back just so he could do a vehicle check. I'm driving in to work in the morning, in a newish car that is spotless from top to bottom wearing a shirt and tie. His excuse was he wanted to check the tax and insurance. He tried to make me accept an HORT1 but I refused and he got called away by a call on his radio

Why the hell do those of us who do actually pay tax and insurance and abide the rules bother anymore? :rolleyes:

Why the hell do we bother? To quote our brethren over at PH, it's enough to make my pi$$ boil!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The police did a lot of telling off but made it looked like it was a minor offence with her 2 year driving ban. She had no intention of passing her test so what is the point of taking away her licence, something she has never had. I am sure she will never dare drive again.;)
I suppose compared with every thing else that must go on where she lives her crime is last on the list. Must go now as the dustbin men have just been and empted my wheelie bin and we have been told it is an offence to leave the bin outside on the street before or after bin day. I think the fine is £1000000.:d
They say Ignorance is bliss.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do agree with what you are saying. It *is* a trivial thing and the Police do have more important stuff to worry about. However:

a) I think letting people get away with this sort of stuff is just inviting them to try to get away with worse
b) If the Police are going to stop someone for this type of behaviour, let's at least make it worth the stop

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I didn't see the programme, so I'm making assumptions and generalising here. So let's say I'm talking about a hypothetical, serial 'driving without a licence/insurance' offender who just happens to be female.

Really, what are the police's options?

Put her in prison? Your average social worker would argue that's not in the best interests of the kid, though I'd be inclined to say otherwise if she's regularly carrying the child unrestrained in death-trap vehicles. But in any case, we as tax payers don't really want to be paying for her keep beind bars, let alone paying social services to look after her sprog while she's in there.

Fine her? We can't do that, because she's probably already techically on the breadline. Look, she can't even afford a second hand baby seat for her child, though I'm sure she has no trouble finding the money to fund a 40 a day habit and as much WKD as she can chuck down her neck.

The one thing that they can do and should be doing is confiscating the vehicles and crushing them. Someone must own the cars, and unless they're stealing them, they're not getting them for free. If she's regularly caught and the cars are regularly crushed, then someone's going to end up seriously out of pocket.

Go on, price her off the roads. The government's doing its level best to do the same to legitimate motorists, so why not do it to the illegitimate ones too?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep - they did confiscate the vehicles. Problem is that they probably only cost about £100 a pop which only just a bit more than the fine for having no tax IIRC (is it still £80?). My tax was £205 a year this year which means they can get away with about 2.5 cars before it even costs as much as my annual road tax bill :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
They caught her twice in one day and she's obviously known to police. Even if they only caught her 3 or 4 times in a month, it'd be costing her a fortune to stay on the road. At that point, surely it's cheaper to start using buses or taxis.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obviously not 'cos she was caught doing it twice in one day... ;)

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
seen it last night and it made my blood boil :steam:
if thats the best detterent they have then of course other people arent scared of driving with no insurance etc :steam: :steam:

i think if these people do eventually get insurance for a car then the premiums should be SKY high up into the £1000's

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
the woman had no respect for herself,
no respect for the kid,
no respect for the law,
bothered - she ain't bothered.;)

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
i think if these people do eventually get insurance for a car then the premiums should be SKY high up into the £1000's
Her insurance (not that she'll bother gettting any) would be in the thousands.

Drink Driving ? about 50% loading, Driving without due care ?
also about 50% loading.

Driving without insurance ? about 150% loading.

Strange how not paying for something which wouldn't contribute to an accident actually costs you more than something which will. - nothing to do with lost profits is it ?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Who Cares

Hi Selwonk - I'm from Northern Ireland - can you explain a HORT1 please. Yeh I did watch the programme and confiscating the car was a good idea but they should have waited till she was about 10 miles from home and that would "have cost her more. She was doing the Blue-Peter trick - "Oh heres one I prepared earlier" It made me mad but she lied through her teeth and gave me the distinct impression that crime does pay. I hate to think what her kid is going to be like if it gets a chance to grow up.:steam: :steam:

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Take the kid into care and shoot her

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Watched this earlier, made me chuckle at her stupidity when they pulled her again!
Was suprised the copper only gave her a verbal warning, when she'd commited so many offences!!

Still.... She was only 25, a mother of 3 and another 1 on the way, probably sponging off the tax payer and did'nt come across as very educated, so a 2 year ban will do her good :rolleyes: ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HORT1 is what we call a "producer" where you have to take your license, insurance and MOT certificate to the station

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
She's not the only one there's thousands of them on the road :mad:

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
as I said hang em all or shoot em all, either way it won't be a loss as far as I am concerned

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Its ironic that the very arguements for increasing Traffic Police presence, compared with more speed cameras, seem to be at odds with what occurs on shows like this.

I'm always amazed at the efforts and expense which is employed to hand out 2-year driving bans to kids under the age of 16...:crazy:

Homer Simpson makes more sense.

Paul:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts