Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, can anybody advise me?:crazy:
I have a 2004 Grand Espace. I want to fit a roof box, maybe the Kamei corvara 450, but the advise from the seller as to fitting it to the roof bars, as standard equipment, seems confusing. First they say it goes straight on, then they say I need adapters????? Anyone out there fitted a box, or know just what do I need??
Appreciate your expert knowledge.

best regards from Czech Republic

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Well i myself have looked in to this and if you buy a dealer box it looks like it just need the roof bars fitted but if your looking to buy a after market one i believe you need to buy adapters but i gave up this idea as i could not reach to the roof anyway. Its useless because you have to stand all over the car:crazy: just to get things in and out of the bloody thing but i hope this helps you cheers

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Berushka, if your Espace has the factory fit bars then you need a set of adapters for ANY type of roofbox, dealer supplied or not. The adapters take the curve of the bar out and makes the base/floor of the box sit flat on the bars. They replace the normal "U" clamps that come with the roofbox ... they also fit bike carriers and ski racks.

The adapters for an Espace IV are ... 77 11 218 405 they cost approx £25-£30 GBP

Remember the Espace can only take 80kg including the weight of the box on the roof.
Do a search on the forum, there is plenty of info on Espace factory roofbars vs Thule etc.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
roofbox adapters

:) Thanks truckbusuk, great info. Why do the manufacturers not tell you all this, especially when you're spending over £300 on a silly box?
Will also look into Donald's advise, don't fdancy climbing all over my battlestar just to throw in the skiis! :steam:

·
2,311 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem, but use one of these .... its called a Youngman Odd Job platform .... it folds flat behind the rear seats when not in use .. even 7 up ....

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is a pic of the adapters

So why was it when I asked my dealership how to fit a roofbox they didn't have a clue? And when I asked Renault Customer Services if there were such things as adaptors, they said, 'No'? Every time I ask Customer Services anything, they haven't a clue!:rolleyes:

Eventually I fitted my Halfords box simply by using the U bolts. The box bends slightly but still opens, closes and locks OK. I covered the U bolts with some clear plastic tubing from B & Q. Tricky to get on, but managed to do it by softening the tubing with a hair dryer. The tubing protects the bars from damage.:)

Just wish I'd found this web side a month or two ago and learned about the adaptors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
roofbox and customer (dis)service

Hi Paperhouse and everyone else. Had same experience with UK customer service. Wanted to buy two extra seats but they told me they wouldn't fit in my Espace! Said I needed special rails etc. but I have them as original, but they still wouldn't buy it. Went to my dealer in Czech Republic, they fitted two seats in five minutes, supplied the roof box adaptors at half the UK price, and gave me a brand-new handbook for free! Guess where I shall be going for service in the future???

·
2,311 Posts
Hi Paperhouse and everyone else. Had same experience with UK customer service. Wanted to buy two extra seats but they told me they wouldn't fit in my Espace! Said I needed special rails etc. but I have them as original, but they still wouldn't buy it. Went to my dealer in Czech Republic, they fitted two seats in five minutes, supplied the roof box adaptors at half the UK price, and gave me a brand-new handbook for free! Guess where I shall be going for service in the future???

And Renault UK wonder why they continually come out near the bottom on customer satisfaction surveys, JD Power, TopGear, Which etc...... :tumbleweed:

PS I found out about the adapters from Thule ... they even gave me the part number .... (they are an OEM supplier to Renault and were far more help than RCS.)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Hi,

I use a Thule roof box on mine - it is the longer narrow one (bit like a ski box - but not that narrow). There was a choice of u bolt width.

Used to use it on a mark 3 espace. Fits OK on the mark 4, but the roof bars do seem to have slightly more curvature. Probably more of a problem with a full width box.

Like previous post I added protection to the U bolts - stripped out some electric cable and pushed the insulation around the U bolt.

Nige

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Got me interested in these adaptors (sorry to just butt in).
How do these adaptors fit to the roof bars - do they slide over the section??

·
2,311 Posts
Got me interested in these adaptors (sorry to just butt in).
How do these adaptors fit to the roof bars - do they slide over the section??

They split in 2 (held with stainless hex bolts) the flat half goes on top to provide the platform, the bottom half locks it in place (tip ... mount them on you roofbox first :) ).... they work very well, I have a Thule Vision 850 box and use a set on that and another set for a Thule bike carrier (you have to use the additional wedges (included) to make the adapter hold the carrier level though .... see my pic.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
PS I found out about the adapters from Thule ... they even gave me the part number .... (they are an OEM supplier to Renault and were far more help than RCS.)[/QUOTE]

I wrote to Thule about 3 months ago and still await a reply !

·
2,311 Posts
PS I found out about the adapters from Thule ... they even gave me the part number .... (they are an OEM supplier to Renault and were far more help than RCS.)
I wrote to Thule about 3 months ago and still await a reply ![/quote]

The UK Thule is not great, email the Swedish link ... you get a UK answer` within 48 hrs .... I phoned them, dont be put-off by the girls/ladies that answer the phones/helpdesk .... insist that you speak to the technical support guys, they were really helpful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When my car was less than a week old someone damaged its' rear bumper in a car park. The colour of my car is Eclipse (or grey to you and me) and when it came back from repair it had a plain grey bumper section (i.e. not colour coded). Although the rest of the bumper sections were colour coded, the body shop insisted that the original to the replaced section was not. I tried to get some backup from Renault Customer Services, but they insisted that allEspace models have black bumpers!!! Despite emailing photos of my car and refering them to their own brochure, they still insisted that Espace models have black bumpers!!!:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
So why was it when I asked my dealership how to fit a roofbox they didn't have a clue? And when I asked Renault Customer Services if there were such things as adaptors, they said, 'No'? QUOTE]

I emailed Renault Customer Services to ask why they had not advised me of the adaptors and they replied, 'I am sorry to hear that you found our previous response to you unhelpful. I can confirm that Renault Customer Services do not hold information relating to parts or accessories so we are unable to advise you of full accessories applicable to your car'.:confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
adaptors yes/no

I was advised by online dealer Roofbox that a Thule Atlantis would fit standard Renault bars with its powergrip system, rather than normal U-brackets. I haven't taken delivery yet, so will let you know. If not, add £130 for Thule bars/ feet etc.:eek:

·
2,311 Posts
I was advised by online dealer Roofbox that a Thule Atlantis would fit standard Renault bars with its powergrip system, rather than normal U-brackets. I haven't taken delivery yet, so will let you know. If not, add £130 for Thule bars/ feet etc.:eek:

The box will fit but it will curve the bottom, which may give problems closing/locking ..... the Renault adapters are a much cheaper option than feet and bars (approx £30) ... but they require the powergrip holders to be removed (they just pull out and push to refit) so the adapters can be mounted ..... same with all other Thule boxes that dont have "U" clamps.

PS remember the load limit on the Espace is 80Kg, including the box(25kg?) ... The Thule Aero bars are 100kg, but Renault wont tell you the actual roof loading only the OEM bars .... pity) ... do a search on Espace roof bars plenty of info and horror stories.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts