Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Our 05 2.0 vvt auto was recently serviced and given a new cambelt kit and water pump at a local garage.

Since then the car idles quite roughly, and startup can be a bit dodgy - scratchy noise, and rough. It has stalled on startup once also.

A little squeak can also be heard from the engine area every 15 seconds or so.

Can this be related to the cambelt kit, or is it more likely from the service?

Ive booked it back in for them to look at, but on the phone he said that with the cambelt its all or nothing (in that it was either fitted correctly and the car runs, or that if incorrect the car wouldnt be running).

Can anyone offer any advice?

I have performed the coil test - removing the connector and noting the rev drops - but they all seem fine.

G

·
Well that is true, fitting a timing belt is much easier these days with locking pins to keep the pulleys in the right places, but it would run a tooth out, just not very well, but if the tension wasn't quite right, the belt could have jumped a tooth.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,268 Posts
Well that is true, fitting a timing belt is much easier these days with locking pins to keep the pulleys in the right places, but it would run a tooth out, just not very well, but if the tension wasn't quite right, the belt could have jumped a tooth.
agree with above many years ago a friend fitted a belt one tooth out it started and run but was way down on power and missing a bit once under load
Ron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its been in the garage and the noise is actually coming from the flywheel, which I was advised is also the likely cause of the vibrations.

Would this area have been touched when changing the cambelt (full kit), or is it more likely just coincidental?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply MMT.

The idling problem has actually leveled out a fair bit over the week - still a little more vibration than before, but it seems to start first time everytime now.

When driving the vibrations are not a problem between 1-2.5k revs, but can be felt more towards 3k revs on the motorway - it makes the rear view mirror image appear blurry.

Looking at the cost of a flywheel kit, I'm more concerned about the noise from the flywheel. Its a squeaking noise, and my previously mentioned 15 seconds was not correct - when listening with the bonnet up it does it continually (with each turn?), just sometimes its a bit louder.

I'll take your advice and have the timing checked at another garage in the week. Will this be an easy peek for the mechanic, or more time consuming?

Is the flywheel actually touched at any point when replacing a cambelt kit?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
HI

try checking the intake system there is valve between the intake pipe and the engine breather this valve can give you squeaking noise on the 2.0l vvt engine.

The flywheel is not really messed with when changing a timing belt.

hope this has been helpful.

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
I'd have had one fitted for what they actually cost, no worries though.

I asked because i fitted a new aux' belt last year,
squeeking noises & vibration were evident from the flywheel area after it was fitted.
It was a worn crankshaft pulley deflecting the new aux' belt.
so i had to source a s/h pulley.
Quite easy to diagnose though, look down at the pulley with the engind idling, you will see it wobbling from side to side.

:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd have had one fitted for what they actually cost, no worries though.

I asked because i fitted a new aux' belt last year,
squeeking noises & vibration were evident from the flywheel area after it was fitted.
It was a worn crankshaft pulley deflecting the new aux' belt.
so i had to source a s/h pulley.
Quite easy to diagnose though, look down at the pulley with the engind idling, you will see it wobbling from side to side.

Sorry - while im a 'have a go' person, im not yet educated on what's what when it comes to engines.....

Where would I need to be looking, where from, and what should the part look like?! :d

Would be great if I could diagnose this as the problem tonight - may allow me to cancel its diagnostics session at the garage on tomorrow!

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The aux' or fan belt is routed around certain pulleys.
Your should be looking at the one right at the bottom of the engine.
The engine needs to be running though!

I tried to have a look last night before it got dark, but couldnt see anything from above.

Unfortunately I didnt have time to jack it up and remove the underside panel, so its in the garage today.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've recently had my Scenic Monaco 2Ltr cam belt and water pump done and found that it would not tick over, and would stall at junctions, roundabouts, slow moving traffic etc. and was idling at just under 500 rpm.
I took it back to the garage and they have sorted it out, it still runs at just over 500 rpm, (I have been told that it should be 750 to 800 rpm,) but at least it is now not stalling all the time.

If I were you I'd take it back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've recently had my Scenic Monaco 2Ltr cam belt and water pump done and found that it would not tick over, and would stall at junctions, roundabouts, slow moving traffic etc. and was idling at just under 500 rpm.
I took it back to the garage and they have sorted it out, it still runs at just over 500 rpm, (I have been told that it should be 750 to 800 rpm,) but at least it is now not stalling all the time.

If I were you I'd take it back.
Hi Tobem,

I did take it back to the garage that did the work, but they insisted it wasnt be thier work that was the cause.

Should the 'new' garage find the problem was indeed a result of the cambelt work, the fight for a refund/compensation from the original garage will begin.

Do you know what was done incorrectly with yours first time?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know exactly what was done as it wasn't possible to get too close, but it them well over an hour to do it.
They put it on the ramp, then removed the underside cover, then lowered it down onto a wooden block under the o/s wheel, they then loosened or removed the left side engine mounting then straightened out some sort of bracket.
I thought that it may have been just a simple job of turning a screw, like in the old days, but apparently the throttle on the scenic is electronic.
But it was definately down to the timing job, as it was running perfecty before rhe job was done.
HTH.

G

·
After having my belt done, the car hesitates and there is an increasingly audible vibration on the o/s.

It went back to the garage twice, they confirmed it was all fine. There is no way it can be out one tooth, it wouldn't run, which was confirmed by another mechanic too.

At the time of doing the belt they said the dephaser had very slight wear, but within spec and not needing to be changed. When I took it back, they said the new belt may be putting more tension on the dephaser now.:rolleyes:

The vibration is possibly an engine mounting, but they could say which.:confused:

They took off the o/s mounting to do the belt, so my guess is that it didn't like being disturbed? It doesn't seem to have any movement in it though and they doubted it was that particular mount.

Outcome is I have to put up with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.