Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok , i had a flat tyre , i changed the wheel, then had the puncture repaired, then i replaced the wheel with the fixed one.Then i encountered a rumble of the steering wheel at 70mph , at 80 mph it dissapears. Also whilst braking from high speeds the wheel rumbles and shakes. Now . . . i have had the balance done on the two fronts, the guy at the garage said "if it keeps doing it , we will have to test your suspension" my father on law swears that it is nothing to do with the suspension and i am thinking the same, as at slow speeds there is no problem. Please Renault owners give me a some ideas, my car was smooth before. :confused:

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Silly question but are you sure the wheel nuts are torqued to the correct setting?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no idea captain, the guy at the garage just whipped them off balanced them then re-fitted them. i have done a quick search on the net to help diagose and there is everything from balance to brake wear (brand new).

·
Inveterate Bodger
786 Posts
This is a well old thread, yes, which I found when searching for something else, but the info could be useful to someone else hunting ;)

Rumbling noise after replacing the tyre: Either you've just got a tyre with a noisy tread pattern - I had this for a while after replacing some well-worn Firestones with four brand-new Goodrichs - or your tracking (or camber?) has been thrown out by side effects of the puncture and the whole changing process, which is causing the affected parts to rub slightly sideways whilst going along the road (or the edge parts of the tyre to be used more than they should). This is technically a suspension/steering system problem, so the mechanic's explanation may be true, but it's a bit wierd to describe it that way rather than just saying that it's the tracking. Unless of course he's referring to the root cause of the effect being e.g. a knackered shock absorber, which you can check yourself by bouncing the corners. (Something like a bent track rod end is more accurately steering)
Could even be that the bearing has been damaged?

Shaking and rumbling of wheel at speed and when braking, after a tyre change: I've had it that driveshaft balancers have been displaced or knocked off either during the puncture experience, or by a cack-handed tyre fitter. No amount of rebalancing or swapping of wheels and tyres would put it right. Got a new shaft balancer weight fitted, all was well. In my case it was more like a large truncated-cone shaped jobby that fitted entirely around the shaft (as opposed to wheel balancers that are just little rectangles or blobs of metal) but yours may be different. Can't remember about price, I'm afraid, but it wasn't heinous.
That or your brake discs are warped, which will be a bit more expensive to replace, probably in the £100 range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts