Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give any advise. Will 'run on' effect the engine. This has happened 3 times now. Once while in the car myself and twice since it has been back at the place we bought it. Only got car on 27th of April, this happened on Monday with no warning at all. The most horrific noise ever, thought the car was going to blow up, thick white smoke. Engine wouldn't turn off. Now afraid that the engine will have been affected badly and this will make the car dangerous. Any advice would be helpful

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Sounds like the turbo seals have failed and the engine is ingesting its own lube oil.

Under no circumstances start the engine until further investigation of the turbo. Should the engine go into runaway mode (screaming its head off) the only way to stop it is to stall it pronto.

Hopefully you have caught it in time and the engine hasn't suffered serious damage and maybe a replacment turbo and a clean out its plumbing and intercooler will be an effective repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that. Hubby just told me it Did go into runaway mode. Engine has been started. After the first initial 'full on' the garage drove it back to their yard, took it for a road test, during which time it went full revs twice, then drove it to Evans Halmshaw so they could have a look. Really scared that the damage has already been done and that the car will now be dangerous. We have custody of our 14 month old grandson, who was in the car with us, and I am obviously concerned for his safety. I dont know if the car will be ok once they say they have fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
When it went into runaway mode when driven by your husband was he able to stop the engine quickly ior did it run until it stopped by itself.

The engine should NOT have been started after the first event.

I appreciate you concerns regarding reliability but I have never seen runaway mode harm either the driver or passengers despite it being a scarey event.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
I appreciate you concerns regarding reliability but I have never seen runaway mode harm either the driver or passengers despite it being a scarey event.
Totally agree.

The only hazard is what such an event poses to the engine, and obviously where you may be stranded when the car breaks down

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts