Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright all,

what stuff do you recomend for stopping and hiding rust around the wheel arches?

The rust started last year and it was only small,Its not actualy that bad but i have noticed it getting more noticable and i dont want it to get worser.....However though, i dont want to pay out a fortune to have it profesionaly done because the car itself isnt worth £500 :d

the rust is is starting to make air bubbles in the paint,Then of course the paint breaks off and rust appears:steam:

Its not actualy my car,Its my dads but he said he doesnt realy care about the car now because theres parts that have gone in the engine and its costing us more to get them fixed than the cards actualy worth:(

But he said he would consider a re-conditioned engine if it was cheap if the engine did go,So at least if i can try to look after the bodywork lol.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
my advice would be to plate the effected areas,but as you stated this could end up costing you more than what the cars worth, get a small wire brush or a 180 grit sandpaper and remove as much of the rust as you can,

try to get the metal as shiny as you can

then put some rust remover on the effected area and leave for the stated time on the bottle

id advise applying it twice to be effective

then id use some hammerite as this has excellent rust inhibitors which holds back rust,but will a bit lumpy due to the texture of it

or prime and paint but wont last as long as the hammerite

hope this is of help

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Kurust, Smoothrite/Hammerite and any proprietary underseal are all products I can vouch for. They can be used in any combination depending on whether you want a coloured or a black finish.

Once rust takes hold though, you will need to inspect the areas twice a year to keep on top of it.

I check my cars every six months (March & September), that way I can rectify the ravages of winter past and add a measure of prevention for the next one.

All the best, and tell your Dad its not what the car's worth that counts - its what it would cost to replace it that matters most. That's the best way to decide to keep it or sell it.

Paul:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
a tin of rust proof primer seems to do the trick with me, i coated my rear drums with this - and then some brake paint and there isnt any signs of rust, 2 years on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts