Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a first time user so please excuss me if I dont get it right the first time round.

I have a S plate 2.0 scenic 1 which has just failed its MOT due to rust holes on the real seal near to the back suspention arm on both sides.

Should this be covered under the anti corrition warranty, its a bit strange that it is in the same place and size on both sides.

Any help or simalar experinces would be helpful

Thanks

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, and welcome.

I wouldn't think it is covered, as the warranty would normally cover against manufacturing defect (i.e. faulty metal/welds, or poor painting/treatments) - the fact that the car is 9 years old (and has therefore had 6 M.O.T.s, without even an advisory being issued), would indicate that there really isn't anything premature (i.e. occuring within the warranty period) about this.

I don't think its unusual for the same type of corrosion to exist on both sides of the car (I presume they are the original parts, and have given the same service?), water, debris, etc can build-up over time, and (especially) in hard to see places, can run riot.

You could probably be justified in stating that you think it to be a design flaw - but its no more a flaw than making a car from mild steel.

Better its discovered now, than at the aftermath of an accident.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
This isn't entirely unusual on Renaults of this age.I've MOT'd a few recently and have advised that the sills were beginning to corrode,although none have been bad enough to fail yet.

How long was the Renault Anti-Corrosion warranty for when the car was new?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
IIRC 8 years - pretty sure that my 1998 "S" example was covered by an 8-year anti-corrosion warranty. It didn't cover respraying inside the bonnet and hatch surrounds where primer is showing through the oh-so-thin (or non-existent) topcoat but so far there is no sign of rust in those places

1 - 4 of 4 Posts